What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 549 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #8221
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom2007
Bought basic tune up items(just bought the ZJ on the 12th)...plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. Gonna install, and change fluids, tomorrow.

Also started pricing 242 cases for swap. Found one from same year, same engine ZJ, with 119k, for $200...decednt deal? Also, although there are the t-case swap threads in case I need to change out input shaft, etc...is it pretty likely it will be direct swap, with the same year, engine, and transmission(or at least so they say...found it online, cant get measurements, etc.)? Hopefully I can just bolt it straight in...not with my luck, but we'll see.

Moggie99...man, I'm jealous...could you do me a favor: mail me some gas, maybe a few thousand gallons? Lol..sure, they might have issues trying to mail a flamable, hazardous liquid...just ask nicely, I'm sure they will let it slide this one time.
What year? 96-98 are bolt in.

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #8222
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

My ZJ is 98...I am waiting to here back from the salvage yard, but its supposed to be out of a ZJ, same year, same engine...gotta confirm transmission. On that note...I know there were several auto transmission used in these years...how can I ID which trans I have?
Dom2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #8223
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
My ZJ is 98...I am waiting to here back from the salvage yard, but its supposed to be out of a ZJ, same year, same engine...gotta confirm transmission. On that note...I know there were several auto transmission used in these years...how can I ID which trans I have?
Believe same engine same trans. The 5.9 had dif trans. Doesn't matter though it will be plug and play. 99.9% sure all 96-98 are plug and play. Mine came off a 96 xj and was plug and play to my 98 5.2. You will have to swap the rear sensor, and swap wires behind the Vic. Then cut an inch off the front yoke of the rear ds an tap the little cap out.

By the way if it's $200 shipped that's not a bad price for plug and play.
image-3278387924.jpg   image-3352276739.jpg  
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #8224
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, that was the general consensus I have been getting.

So I will have to cut the front yoke down? I was under the impression that the front driveshaft will bolt right up, and should be the same legnth, no? Are you running the stock CV front shaft? I ask because I was talking to a guy from Carolina Drivelines...said my shaft should fit just fine...I also have a U-joint shaft from an XJ(I believe, not sure of year, either), does that change anything?
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #8225
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Front shaft is fine. It's the front yoke of the rear shaft you have to trim. Because the output of the 242 is different.
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #8226
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Ahh, I misunderstood you...but the same question. Most the people I asked, and there were a few(I called a couple driveshaft/driveline companies, called IRO, among others) all said assuming the input shaft is the right size, everything else should bolt right in...only issue might be shift linkage, and that would be easy, just a little adjustment. Did it have something to do with your case coming from an XJ? Ultimately, it sounds simple enough to fix, just trying to figure out the difference in answers.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #8227
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Ahh, I misunderstood you...but the same question. Most the people I asked, and there were a few(I called a couple driveshaft/driveline companies, called IRO, among others) all said assuming the input shaft is the right size, everything else should bolt right in...only issue might be shift linkage, and that would be easy, just a little adjustment. Did it have something to do with your case coming from an XJ? Ultimately, it sounds simple enough to fix, just trying to figure out the difference in answers.
Shift linkage does need adjustment. The shaft issue has some to do with lift height. If you have a hoist to use it would help in this. Mine with 3 in bb I couldn't get the shaft on while truck was on the hoist, I then trimmed it so I still couldn't get it on while on the lift but it would not bind while the suspension was completely unloaded, I then lowered the truck and installed the shaft. Lifted up again to check clearance and all is perfect. Helps to understand this of you realize that the axle gets closer to the tcase as the suspension is unloaded.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #8228
Bkuprionas
1997 ZJ 

Ordered tj fender flares for it. Cops don't like my tires sticking out I'm going to cut the front fenders to fit but I'm not sure about the rear since I heard its a pita with the pinch weld.
Bkuprionas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #8229
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
The shaft issue has some to do with lift height.
Ok, valid point...I meant the actual length of the input...I think I read there were three different lengths, cant remember off hnad what exactly they were though. In therory, with adjustable arms, I should be somewhere near stock, at least closer, no?

Either way...no matter how many writes up about the swap, that say how easy it was...I would really feel a lot more confident if I dont have to crack open the case. Then my epic streak of bad luck(everything that could go wrong will kind of stuff) with Jeeps would be required to kick in, lol.

Thanks for the info man.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #8230
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I wonder if I'd have to trim my the slip yoke on my rear DS when I do my swap. Yeah, I still haven't done that yet. I think I've had the case for almost a month now... Anyway, my rear arms are longer than stock, pushing my axle farther back with the lift than stock arms would. My rear sits at about 4.25" of lift with the axle pretty much in the stock location. I'll try it before I use the JY shaft I got. Badbird, I'll buy ya a case of beer if you fly out here and do the swap for me. You seem to know everything about it. Lol. I guess if you do it, you learn though. I know a hell of a lot more now than I did when I got my ZJ because of all the work I've done on it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #8231
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
I wonder if I'd have to trim my the slip yoke on my rear DS when I do my swap. Yeah, I still haven't done that yet. I think I've had the case for almost a month now... Anyway, my rear arms are longer than stock, pushing my axle farther back with the lift than stock arms would. My rear sits at about 4.25" of lift with the axle pretty much in the stock location. I'll try it before I use the JY shaft I got. Badbird, I'll buy ya a case of beer if you fly out here and do the swap for me. You seem to know everything about it. Lol. I guess if you do it, you learn though. I know a hell of a lot more now than I did when I got my ZJ because of all the work I've done on it.
If I drank we would have a deal lol. Just pm me when you start, I'll give you my number, if you have power tools, and a ratchet wrench you'll have it done in 45 mins tops. Get to it. I agree with the axle moved back you may not need to cut, let's find out.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #8232
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Well over the past weekend i went ahead and drain the oil/ cleaned up my new rear axle for the damage on page 471. Also started the fron disassembly for my lift that i have. Hopefully i will get the front of the lift done this weekend and maybe start on pulling the old rear axle out. Kinda hard to get things done when you have college during the week in another state and limited time on the weekends lol.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Spend the Time and the Money the 1st Time, You'll End Up Doing it Anyway.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #8233
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Also looking to fab up a mount for my Shovel. Ill be doing an axe on the other side.

More in my build thread. Link located below.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #8234
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ
Also looking to fab up a mount for my Shovel. Ill be doing an axe on the other side.

More in my build thread. Link located below.
Not sure I'd do that. I run my handyman on the front bumper, works great until your in the woods and you have no idea where a tree ripped it off.
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #8235
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
Not sure I'd do that. I run my handyman on the front bumper, works great until your in the woods and you have no idea where a tree ripped it off.
Like I told 800 other people.. My tires will hit before the shovel does. Never has my mirror even hit a tree.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.