What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 522 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #7816
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer

Here's a better photo of the KOR roof rack on my jeep.

I just wish the expanded metal would have been put over the tubing so there would be a flat service to lay things on.
You just can't hide money! 

StidgeInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #7817
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The point is is that Kevin makes quality stuff that looks better that a Yakima, ect. He has for years. If you can do better on your own for cheaper then make it yourself. for Kevins. I don't put stuff on the roof because it's silly.

If you have not gotten an aux tranny cooler for your 5.9 I highly suggest that you do. I had 4 people 800lbs plus spare, a cooler, and all of my tools going up a mountain for 2 hours and overheated the tranny. We turned around and coasted most of the way back in neutral until it cooled and the OD light went off. The Efan just is not good enough with the stock cooler at that low of a speed to keep the trans temp down. I never had this issue with my 95 5.2 and the clutch fan with the stock aux cooler. Something to think about before you get out there without anyone near. I put the biggest cooler I could fit and I am still a bit nervous to go do it again after that.

With a decent cooler, you should be fine. The key is this: if you're climbing a long hill steep enough for the tranny to downshift out of OD, make sure you turn off OD, which will allow it to lock up the TC in 3rd (running under heavy throttle with the TC unlocked makes a ton of heat very quickly, and can overheat any tranny, hence the warnings not to tow in OD in the hills).

With just an 11x11" stacked plate cooler (radiator cooler bypassed), I've pulled 3k lb trailers up several miles of 5 - 7% grade, no tranny issues at all (don't have a temp gauge on it yet though). It's certainly capable of doing it. Plus, if you're at highway speed, there's enough air being rammed through the grille that the fan doesn't do much anyway, excluding some of the larger mech fans. If you're trying to climb a mountain below 35 mph (minimum speed for TC lockup in 3rd gear), you're probably best off locking the Jeep into 1st gear to keep the revs up and engine load down to try to reduce slippage in the TC, or just going faster.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #7818
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzj94 View Post
94 grand cherokee v6 thinking about putting BDS suspension 2" lift on that i found online for 400$ whats another good 2 or 3 inch lift out there something with a smooth ride on the streets and cheaper. is it better to buy the springs separate?
I'm surprised no one corrected this to I6. Anyway, I have an Rubicon Express 2" budges boost that I pulled off my Jeep. It's the spacers and shocks. I ran it for about a year, 13,000 miles. The spacers are fine. The shocks are good but a little dirty. PM me if you want to work something out.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #7819
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indylodown View Post
finally got around to trimming the front bumper, and pulled the throttle body and cleaned it. I also opened up the airbox to get more air flow. Everything seems to have made a difference idling smoother and better throttle response.
How did you open up the air box more? Just curious

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7820
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pulled the A/C crap out to make room for the snail and intercooler. I could have kept it but now there is so much more room and I didn't use it anyway(compressor was shot).

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #7821
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Ordered this hella sweet rack

Anyone know, since sportrack is owned by thule, do they make axe/shovel mounts? or anyone have them?
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #7822
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
With a decent cooler, you should be fine. The key is this: if you're climbing a long hill steep enough for the tranny to downshift out of OD, make sure you turn off OD, which will allow it to lock up the TC in 3rd (running under heavy throttle with the TC unlocked makes a ton of heat very quickly, and can overheat any tranny, hence the warnings not to tow in OD in the hills).

With just an 11x11" stacked plate cooler (radiator cooler bypassed), I've pulled 3k lb trailers up several miles of 5 - 7% grade, no tranny issues at all (don't have a temp gauge on it yet though). It's certainly capable of doing it. Plus, if you're at highway speed, there's enough air being rammed through the grille that the fan doesn't do much anyway, excluding some of the larger mech fans. If you're trying to climb a mountain below 35 mph (minimum speed for TC lockup in 3rd gear), you're probably best off locking the Jeep into 1st gear to keep the revs up and engine load down to try to reduce slippage in the TC, or just going faster.
Absolutely. I had it in first most of the way with the OD off. That's why I didn't notice that the trans OD lockout light had come on.

I just got back from 4 wheel parts and picked these up. I got tired of ruining end links and replacing them over and over.
0130121444.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7823
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Took my rock sliders, grille guard and tail light guards in to be powder coated.
The rock sliders are being done in hammered gray, the other parts in 40% gloss black.

Also dropped off my jeep at the auto body shop to have the front bumper redone along with some touchup work before the rock sliders go back on.

This jeep sure spends a lot of time in the shop, there's always something else to be done like.
Upgrade front axle to a custom built HP30.
Custom install a winch into the front bumper.
Build a removable swing out gas can rack for the back.
Upgrade the stereo system.
Install Dynamat sound deadening inside the doors and a few other places.
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #7824
TheMadMike
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Cleaned up the ZJ a little. Trying to sell it.
TheMadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #7825
indylodown
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
How did you open up the air box more? Just curious
torchd - I took the bottom half of the airbox out and drilled holes in the sides and bottom. Is it making a difference I dont know yet. I know with everything back together and running down the road, you can hear the air being sucked in much like an open filter, just thinking its got to be getting more air. A buddy of mine (who is big into diesels) did this to his cummins because he didnt want to go to an open air filter.
indylodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #7826
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

My exhaust manifold is no longer cracked. Praise the Lord
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #7827
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzj94 View Post
94 grand cherokee v6 thinking about putting BDS suspension 2" lift on that i found online for 400$ whats another good 2 or 3 inch lift out there something with a smooth ride on the streets and cheaper. is it better to buy the springs separate?
3.5" lift from ironrockoffroad.com is around the same price only thing really you would need to get with that kit is an adjustable rear trackbar. Or you can go with the bracket for a little till you have enough for the adj t-bar.

Just my .02
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Spend the Time and the Money the 1st Time, You'll End Up Doing it Anyway.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #7828
Bkuprionas
1997 ZJ 

Wheeled it and decided to remove the carpet by Wednesday.
Bkuprionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #7829
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Got my poly swaybar bushings in to replace the Moogs I put in about a year ago. It took about 15 minutes total to pull the front skid, remove the factory clamps, remove the bushings, install the new bushings and install the aftermarket clamps with grease fittings. I didn't put the front skid back on. I'm going to coat it, inside and out, with bed liner to prevent rust. My other skids are also going to undergo this "treatment." None are on for now and probably won't be until the weather warms up now.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #7830
griff95zj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Any bumpers for a zj that's not a million dollars? Lol
griff95zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.