Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#9,161 ·
Been 70 in mass the last 2 days. Bunch of hot chicks laying out on the grass...wait, what was I saying?

#9,163 ·
I got to drive it home from work with the windows down and the music "up." That's probably one of my favorite things to do. I find it to be super relaxing... until the cop pulls behind me and I have to turn it down. Luckily, I saw him in plenty of time and I wasn't speeding (I never speed). I thought he was still going to pull me over just to give me a hard time. I've already had a noise ordinance violation with my Caprice. I don't need another.

#9,169 ·
I am searching threads like cray trying to find a how to on changing front drive shaft from cv to u bolt. Anyone know a link to thread?
I got mine from a zj at a jy. you need the driveshaft and yolk from the donor. I had to get it cut down an inch or so but you might get lucky. The yoke was a ***** to get off and you need to be precise with the install or your diff wont last very long

On my ZJ today I adjusted the bearing pre-load on my steering box. It tightened the steering up but it feels like there is some very slight binding now. I might have to back it off a MM or two more.

#9,173 ·
How's their wear on pavement? My ZJ is my daily so it sees a lot of pavement driving. I've been looking at mostly ATs because of that but they seem to have a pretty flat but still aggressive tread pattern.
I have about 3k on my truck and 1k on my zj so I dont have any long term reports, but they primarily see street driving and dont seem to be wearing much at all

#9,174 ·
How's their wear on pavement? My ZJ is my daily so it sees a lot of pavement driving. I've been looking at mostly ATs because of that but they seem to have a pretty flat but still aggressive tread pattern.
That mtr pattern is considered a/t. Kind of in the same ballpark as duratracs

#9,176 ·
#9,177 ·
Duratracs are the other tire I'm thinking of... for that exact reason. It's considered "commercial traction."
You see thats the thing I dont get. Its commercial traction but its only a 2ply sidewall. Aren't commercial tires supposed to have stiffer sidewalls?

#9,178 ·
Duratracs are the other tire I'm thinking of... for that exact reason. It's considered "commercial traction."
I have Duratracs and they are great tires... I REALLY wanted BFG A/Ts, but couldn't source any, so I waited... Started reading about Duratracs which have a really interesting tread pattern that cleans itself and doesn't get clogged up. I was a bit worried that the A/Ts would pack up with snow/mud (as some of the reviews said) and lose traction, so this was a big plus. So far, driving in the snow, the treads haven't packed up at all. The tires have amazing bite on nearly every surface (except ice) and are really quiet on the highway. I only have about 1000 miles on my set, but they were incredible with the snow, and I am anxious to try 'em this summer!

Not to mention, they look amazing!

As for the sidewall thing, I believe the guy at the tire store told me mine were 5, but I can't remember. They're definitely not 2.

#9,179 ·
I have Duratracs and they are great tires... I REALLY wanted BFG A/Ts, but couldn't source any, so I waited... Started reading about Duratracs which have a really interesting tread pattern that cleans itself and doesn't get clogged up. I was a bit worried that the A/Ts would pack up with snow/mud (as some of the reviews said) and lose traction, so this was a big plus. So far, driving in the snow, the treads haven't packed up at all. The tires have amazing bite on nearly every surface (except ice) and are really quiet on the highway. I only have about 1000 miles on my set, but they were incredible with the snow, and I am anxious to try 'em this summer!

Not to mention, they look amazing!

As for the sidewall thing, I believe the guy at the tire store told me mine were 5, but I can't remember. They're definitely not 2.
Oh, because I've heard that the only thing people don't like about them is the sidewall and tearing them on rocks.

Edit: And I'm glad you didn't get bfg at's, they're overrated.

#9,180 ·
Oh, because I've heard that the only thing people don't like about them is the sidewall and tearing them on rocks.
I think they can be ordered in different sidewall thicknesses? I honestly don't know, but I am pretty sure the guy at the shop mentioned at least 3 ply, although I think it was 5... Bad memory :p