What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 447 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #6691
torchd
1998 ZJ 

My overhead console has never said ICE before, and I have a 98

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #6692
amremt408
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788

How did it start? Unless a lifter collapsed it usually takes a long time to develop loud lifter noise. A broken spring would probably have a misfire as well, and also it is a rare case.
It developed the the major annoyance that it is currently after I had blown a head gasket. I had both heads replaced and everything was grand, then this tick became more pronounced.

I will say this, and this may be my mind hoping or wishful thinking, but I feel as if the tick was slightly better after the oil change yesterday. I feel like this has to be the placebo effect, because I only drove it for about 30 minutes before parking at work. I'm off in 4 hours, so I'll see how it behaves today.

Another thing to note is that I do not feel that I have a misfire. The engine is running strong...

Thoughts on seafoam? Or another suggestion?

I gotta get rid of this sound because this beast does not deserve to sound like this. It's like Chuck Norris in a pink sweater... You know he's still tough, but it just isn't right!

2004 WJ... OME HD coils, Bilsteins shocks, JKS adj track bar, MOOG SS, ADDCO rear sway bar with ext., Bridgestone REVO 265/70/17.
amremt408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #6693
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremt408 View Post
It developed the the major annoyance that it is currently after I had blown a head gasket. I had both heads replaced and everything was grand, then this tick became more pronounced.

I will say this, and this may be my mind hoping or wishful thinking, but I feel as if the tick was slightly better after the oil change yesterday. I feel like this has to be the placebo effect, because I only drove it for about 30 minutes before parking at work. I'm off in 4 hours, so I'll see how it behaves today.

Another thing to note is that I do not feel that I have a misfire. The engine is running strong...

Thoughts on seafoam? Or another suggestion?

I gotta get rid of this sound because this beast does not deserve to sound like this. It's like Chuck Norris in a pink sweater... You know he's still tough, but it just isn't right!
There are several things it could be just due to the work that was done. A collapsed lifter is very possible but it could be something so simple as they didn't install the rockers properly lol.

There's a chance a lifter was damaged due to the head gaskets as well.

If you had the noise before the head gaskets went and it's worse now then I would have to say it is lifters but I would also have to say that the only way to fix it is going to be replacing the lifters.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #6694
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by li'l jeep

yeah, my 93 showed it and my 97 does, as well as my 03 dub. it only flashes when you first turn the truck on, for like a few minutos, then goes away.

on topic, to damn cold to put the rear carpets in. too cold to paint too. i think my deadline of end of january is dwindling down...

since i couldn't do anything to her i vaccumed the floors out and pulled the spare parts to get ready for the rattle can bed liner.
Im wanting to line my floor pans and cargo area too. Is it difficult to remove the seats and bench. I think I remember a post where a guy was saying the bucket seats were near impossible to get the bolts off.
mojop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #6695
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer

That's how my windshield was too.

When sitting inside there's no problem yet, the distortion is very noticeable when standing outside looking in through one of the front side windows. I will try and take some photos of it tomorrow.

Another problem that I have is the paint shop got the color of my front bumper wrong, it's a litter darker. I'm going to have pull it back off so that they can fix it.
My drivers side hood vent and new auto dimming side view mirror turned out all right.
I like the dc-2s on there. Im 90% sure they are what im ordering late jan. Any complaints about them?
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #6696
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojop79 View Post
Im wanting to line my floor pans and cargo area too. Is it difficult to remove the seats and bench. I think I remember a post where a guy was saying the bucket seats were near impossible to get the bolts off.
The front seats can be hard to remove. The front bolts come out pretty easily because they don't have any rust or rust proofing undercoating on the backside. The rear bolts have either or. Every time I've attempted to remove a front or rear seat at a JY, I break the heads off the bolts. I'm lucky to have only broken one on my ZJ. I was able to drill it out and tap the hole. I'd crawl underneath and check out the rear bolts for the seat and see what kind of condition they're in. If they have a coating on them, I'd try to do my best to clean them off before removing them. If they're rusted with no coating on them, spray some PB blaster on them. If that doesn't work, try torching them while you're trying to remove them. I'd recommend having someone up top watching to make sure the carpet doesn't start smoking while you're heating them up though.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #6697
amremt408
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788

There are several things it could be just due to the work that was done. A collapsed lifter is very possible but it could be something so simple as they didn't install the rockers properly lol.

There's a chance a lifter was damaged due to the head gaskets as well.

If you had the noise before the head gaskets went and it's worse now then I would have to say it is lifters but I would also have to say that the only way to fix it is going to be replacing the lifters.
Thanks for the input, that is all really good information to know... It looks like it may be a long journey to solve this dilemma. Do you think the penzoil and a seafoam treatment is a good start (I feel like I've read that carbon deposits can build up, causing a lifter tick, which is what I'm going to cure by the seafoam)? Or should I jump straight to more intensive treatments (lifter replacement)?

2004 WJ... OME HD coils, Bilsteins shocks, JKS adj track bar, MOOG SS, ADDCO rear sway bar with ext., Bridgestone REVO 265/70/17.
amremt408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #6698
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremt408

Thanks for the input, that is all really good information to know... It looks like it may be a long journey to solve this dilemma. Do you think the penzoil and a seafoam treatment is a good start (I feel like I've read that carbon deposits can build up, causing a lifter tick, which is what I'm going to cure by the seafoam)? Or should I jump straight to more intensive treatments (lifter replacement)?
I have a little knock my mechanic says is the wrist pins, no biggie. I used sea foam, and it seems like it actually got worse. But a lifter is a different story probably.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #6699
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Intake swap went perfect on the new motivational speaker, won't be hydro locking this bad boy
image-2301177409.jpg   image-2890602671.jpg  
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #6700
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Going to jy today. Give me some ideas on what I should look for. I know theres things im not thinking of. List as of now includes front coil springs, hooks and skids. Any engine mods that are cheap and inexpensive?
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #6701
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremt408 View Post
An oil additive would be the only thing I'd try in this case. I use Lucas, some don't like it though. But it has some detergents in it and thickens the oil a little which for a lifter that's sticking could be all you need.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #6702
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Yesterday I bought, but haven't put in (2) 100 watt Sylvania regulat H3 fog light bulbs.. Getting sick and tired of replacing the Silver Stars

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #6703
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

My 96 overhead display was flashing ICE this morning at 27*F
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #6704
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

if you dont already have a front ujoint type driveshaft. get one of those.
96 ZJ - 4" Rough Country X Lift, JKS rear TB, JKS Quicker Discos, homebrew front bumper, KOR radiator support, IRO Belly Skid, IRO premium sliders, Upcountry Gas tank skid, 33x12.50R15 Good year Wrangler Duratracs, Cragar V-5 (3.75in BS )
Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/rjs-96-zj-build-1125143/
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #6705
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
Yesterday I bought, but haven't put in (2) 100 watt Sylvania regulat H3 fog light bulbs.. Getting sick and tired of replacing the Silver Stars
Sylvania makes Silver Stars. I haven't had any issues with mine. I've had them in my car for about 4 years now with no issues; they've been in my Jeep for only about 4 months. One thing you need to check when you put the 100 watters in is the wiring. Run them for a little while supervised. I've seen 100 watt bulbs melt factory wiring before. The fog lights are glass so I don't think you need to worry about the housings.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.