What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 424 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #6346
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Rewired door speakers, new radio, new rear wiper motor, ordered a 150 amp alt from Kolak, replaced the rear brakes since I was grinding metal.

Now to find a new battery...

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #6347
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
Rewired door speakers, new radio, new rear wiper motor, ordered a 150 amp alt from Kolak, replaced the rear brakes since I was grinding metal.

Now to find a new battery...
I really need to rewire my door speakers. Sounds like one of my new speakers is blown sometimes but I'm sure it's just the wires. No way I can blow up a 75w RMS 2 ohm speaker.
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6348
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788

I really need to rewire my door speakers. Sounds like one of my new speakers is blown sometimes but I'm sure it's just the wires. No way I can blow up a 75w RMS 2 ohm speaker.
I need to do the same, but I think all mine are still the infinity. I was just researching on here this morning to find the sizes. No luck yet. I saw some new ones on craigslist and was hoping they would fit.

If you don't know what a ZJ is- you can't afford it! -Beerfest
"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
TMNT2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #6349
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

With the Scosche adapter rings, you'll be able to fit 5.25s. I used my adapter rings and cut them to make them bigger to fit my 6.75s. I'm not 100% on the rear doors but I believe they're the same. I don't believe in wasting money on rear speakers. I don't sit in back and I don't want to throw off my staging by adding rear speakers.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #6350
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
With the Scosche adapter rings, you'll be able to fit 5.25s. I used my adapter rings and cut them to make them bigger to fit my 6.75s. I'm not 100% on the rear doors but I believe they're the same. I don't believe in wasting money on rear speakers. I don't sit in back and I don't want to throw off my staging by adding rear speakers.
I figured rear speakers helped with staging? I guess I wouldn't even bother attempting to do staging on a Jeep though, it's like a lost cause.

My 94 didn't need any adapters, I just drilled a couple holes and used the supplied mounting hardware. Mine are 6.75" Infinity Kappa 652.9i. I'm pretty disappointed with the mids they put out though.

Right now I'm using a Clarion CZ501 head unit connected to the stock Infinity Gold amp. Then the 4 Infinity speakers I replaced the stockers with, removed the OEM tweeters, and installed a Sony 300w RMS sub on an Audiopipe "1000w" amp it's about 300w RMS as well. It's not bad over all but I feel like my old Audi's Bose sounded 10x better and those were 12 year old speakers.....
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #6351
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
pull the door panel, check for corrosion on the speaker contacts. Clean and put together again with dielectric grease. If you have the stock infinity system, you will see a crossover network in there, too, there are connections to that puppy that can corrode too. Clean, splice, new wire if needed. I would do that first before rewiring.

For some reason, I lost all power to my rear passenger door, with the exception of the door light... Speaker didnt work, door lock doesnt work. So I tried to find the break in the wires, but no luck. So I just sent a new wire from the stereo to the rear door. Then, both front speakers were rotted (the salt kicks up into the door crevices..) So I cut out the crossover networks, put in some polk speakers and called it a day. I couldnt find independently driven speakers at worst buy and I didnt feel like ordering off line. Sounds good enough to me.

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #6352
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
pull the door panel, check for corrosion on the speaker contacts. Clean and put together again with dielectric grease. If you have the stock infinity system, you will see a crossover network in there, too, there are connections to that puppy that can corrode too. Clean, splice, new wire if needed. I would do that first before rewiring.

For some reason, I lost all power to my rear passenger door, with the exception of the door light... Speaker didnt work, door lock doesnt work. So I tried to find the break in the wires, but no luck. So I just sent a new wire from the stereo to the rear door. Then, both front speakers were rotted (the salt kicks up into the door crevices..) So I cut out the crossover networks, put in some polk speakers and called it a day. I couldnt find independently driven speakers at worst buy and I didnt feel like ordering off line. Sounds good enough to me.

Yard
I don't think the 94's have a crossover in the door, unless I'm wrong. I chopped off the terminal to install my new speakers. My door unlock buttons don't work on either front door as well yet the locking does. I'm thinking it's that stupid harness in the door jam. I will probably wire new speaker wire all the way to the jam, repair the door jam harness, and then maybe the inside wire too for the speakers.

Then again, I'm lazy so it's doubtful I'll get around to this anytime soon lol.
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #6353
TheMadMike
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Pulled the front drive shaft out. Its worn out and making a lot on noise.
TheMadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #6354
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I figured rear speakers helped with staging? I guess I wouldn't even bother attempting to do staging on a Jeep though, it's like a lost cause.

My 94 didn't need any adapters, I just drilled a couple holes and used the supplied mounting hardware. Mine are 6.75" Infinity Kappa 652.9i. I'm pretty disappointed with the mids they put out though.

Right now I'm using a Clarion CZ501 head unit connected to the stock Infinity Gold amp. Then the 4 Infinity speakers I replaced the stockers with, removed the OEM tweeters, and installed a Sony 300w RMS sub on an Audiopipe "1000w" amp it's about 300w RMS as well. It's not bad over all but I feel like my old Audi's Bose sounded 10x better and those were 12 year old speakers.....
I'm running Pioneer TS-D1720C components. For $120, you can't go wrong. The midbass is by far the best in their price range. The tweeters are also way softer than Infinity tweeters. Infinity uses hard domes on a lot of their aftermarket tweeters. I'm definitely a fan of soft dome tweeters. As for staging, you'd be pretty surprised. It's definitely not a lost cause. I'm running my front stage active. I have my mids and tweeters time aligned separately. I don't have any rears so my stage is all up front. My buddy has the stock setup in his ZJ and the rears are too distracting for my listening habits. I'm much happier without them. I don't run any rears in my car either and I use that as an SQ competition car. The only thing rears are really decent for is for a concert hall effect. If they're time aligned just right, they can make it seem like the music is echoing off the back of the vehicle. With the location of the rears in the ZJ, there's no point at all. They need to be in a rear deck. I guess if you have a 5.9 speaker bar that's a little bit of a different story if you like that concert hall effect. Lastly, as far as adapters go, if you don't mind drilling, you'll be able to fit some 6.75s, most 6.5s and most 5.25s in the doors. The only thing holding you back there would be the mounting depth. You can't raise them up more than about an eight of an inch or so because they'll start to hit the door panels. The adapters allow you to install aftermarket speakers without drilling into the door.
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #6355
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Discount tire wouldn't mount my spare re tread from tread wright after they put all four on a few months ago. I went to Wal-mart and got it on for 7.50. They didn't charge me for balancing. Merry X-mas to me!
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #6356
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Tirerack FTW. I guess it pays to live close to them. I've bought 5 or 6 sets of tires from them and their customer service is top notch. I drive out there each time to get them mounted and balanced and get to drive home on a new set of rubber each time. I'll buy from them for life.
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #6357
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I can't go back to buy tires anywhere else after the price I paid for these. It just seems insane.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #6358
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

teased it as the ups man brought 4 boxes labeled rough country right past it to my door. 1/4 came yesterday the rest came today! peaked in the first box & it was 2 coils. and i had to check the contents in one other box because the box had an opening and i was nervous something might have fell out so i did a content check by calling rough country. the guy claims the box should only have 2 control arms. it had 6 lol but nothing was missing.

Wrapped it all up nicely and waiting until christmas to install it in my grandmother garage !. Btw these control arms are beefy!! haha

Marry xmas & happy holidays all!
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #6359
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I can't go back to buy tires anywhere else after the price I paid for these. It just seems insane.
Out of curiosity, what did you pay?
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #6360
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
x2 I am totally there with you, I paid a little over $80 a tire for mine and they measure 31/10.5/16, shipping was around $15 a tire so around $95 each. Next closest tire (same size and mtr's or similar aggressiveness tire) were almost $200x

I'm rolling 10k on mine and they still look like day one (which was also nice because first day I had them the sidewalls were broken in, aired down to 12 pounds or so and beat on 'em)

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.