Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#8,241 ·
If I drank we would have a deal lol. Just pm me when you start, I'll give you my number, if you have power tools, and a ratchet wrench you'll have it done in 45 mins tops. Get to it. I agree with the axle moved back you may not need to cut, let's find out.
Ha. Very rarely do I drink. First of all, alcoholism runs in my family. Secondly, I have better things to spend my money on, like my ZJ. I usually use beer as joking bribe. I'll definitely let you know before I do it. My buddy is probably going to let me use his shop so I can get it up on a lift and have access to all the power tools I'd need. That'd also be killer if I didn't have to cut my slip yoke. I think I told you before, the DS I got from the JY has a very shallow dent in it. I guess with all the power tools, I could probably find something to cut the slip yoke with should I need to trim it.

#8,243 ·
ejschultz said:
That'd also be killer if I didn't have to cut my slip yoke. I think I told you before, the DS I got from the JY has a very shallow dent in it. I guess with all the power tools, I could probably find something to cut the slip yoke with should I need to trim it.
When we did the 242 swap in the 5.9, the problem wasn't the yoke bottoming out against the output shaft. Instead, the front of the yoke hit the oil slinger. There was like maybe 1/4" between the yoke and the slinger when at ride height. We decided to go the driveshaft cut down route because we didn't want to lose spline engagement. It was pricey, but at least it was done correctly.

#8,245 ·
When we did the 242 swap in the 5.9, the problem wasn't the yoke bottoming out against the output shaft. Instead, the front of the yoke hit the oil slinger. There was like maybe 1/4" between the yoke and the slinger when at ride height. We decided to go the driveshaft cut down route because we didn't want to lose spline engagement. It was pricey, but at least it was done correctly.
I'm not too sure what you're talking about but I'll definitely make sure to check the DS clearance with all the components underneath at ride height and while it's up on the lift. I'll guesstimate the clearance when the suspension is fully loaded then by seeing what it does at normal height and when it's unloaded. I'm hoping to not have any clearance issues. And, like I said, if worst comes to worst, I still have the DS from the donor.

#8,246 ·
ejschultz said:
Ha. Very rarely do I drink. First of all, alcoholism runs in my family. Secondly, I have better things to spend my money on, like my ZJ. I usually use beer as joking bribe. I'll definitely let you know before I do it. My buddy is probably going to let me use his shop so I can get it up on a lift and have access to all the power tools I'd need. That'd also be killer if I didn't have to cut my slip yoke. I think I told you before, the DS I got from the JY has a very shallow dent in it. I guess with all the power tools, I could probably find something to cut the slip yoke with should I need to trim it.
I used a chop saw.

#8,248 ·
Moggie99...man, I'm jealous...could you do me a favor: mail me some gas, maybe a few thousand gallons? Lol..sure, they might have issues trying to mail a flamable, hazardous liquid...just ask nicely, I'm sure they will let it slide this one time.
I don't think that Empost and the USPS would be too happy. Sorry.

On topic: changed the oil on my front diff.

#8,251 ·
Also looking to fab up a mount for my Shovel. Ill be doing an axe on the other side.

More in my build thread. Link located below.
Who farted??::D:

Heading to home depot for the hardware to build my zj drawer system :2thumbsup:
I planned on doing drawers but it was more functional for me to leave mine open.

#8,252 ·
Who farted??::D:

I planned on doing drawers but it was more functional for me to leave mine open.
I know it's not for everyone, but my back was made up of 50% sub box the other was a craftsman tool bag, tool set, and jack. The man reason is to organize tools/recovery gear and have organized camping gear to. I hope it will make camping less frusterating. :rofl:

I just made this simpler drawing up to show you what i'll be doing. There will be a bunch of other things going on, but gets confusing in my crappy pictures. :rofl:

The bottom will be a pull out drawer for my tools/ recovery gear, the middle will be some kind of pull out table to use for camping ( only half of it will be a drawer and the other part will be sorage for tent spikes or something) Then the top will be a much bigger flip top drawer for bigger things.

Attachments

#8,254 ·
I wonder if I'd have to trim my the slip yoke on my rear DS when I do my swap. Yeah, I still haven't done that yet. I think I've had the case for almost a month now... Anyway, my rear arms are longer than stock, pushing my axle farther back with the lift than stock arms would. My rear sits at about 4.25" of lift with the axle pretty much in the stock location. I'll try it before I use the JY shaft I got. Badbird, I'll buy ya a case of beer if you fly out here and do the swap for me. You seem to know everything about it. Lol. I guess if you do it, you learn though. I know a hell of a lot more now than I did when I got my ZJ because of all the work I've done on it.
Thats kinda what I was thinking...that having adjustable arms in the rear might let me get away with not cutting anything. Well, I suppose I will find out if I ever get to actually acquiring said t-case.

Changed the oil today, and had the coolant and trans flushed. Tune up will have to wait till tomorrow though.

Also came up with a few cheap/free things to do soon :
Replace the AC condenser(have spare, needs to be installed)
Black out the gold "Grand Cherokee/Limited" letters and badge
Ordered pinion yoke for front diff, will be able to throw on the front drive shaft as soon as it gets here...hopefully the VC isnt quite toasted yet, we'll see.
Gonna grab some sea foam to run through...gonna smoke the neighbors out tomorrow afternoon, lol.(Speaking of which, besides the gas tank, where does anybody recommend using the sea foam, I know there are other systems or places in the vehicle it can benefit, just never used it before)
Gonna buy a hook for the winch cable here, probably today or tomorrow.
Oh, and I have a buddy thats gonna come over and square me away with getting the CB up an running. We have a camping trip planned towards the end of the month that I would like to get most of this done by: at least have working 4wd, the CB alive and kicking, and a hook for the winch in case I actually need it.

Think thats it for today.

Almost forgot...ordered a machette and a couple stickers from http://zombieresponseteam.net. Gotta be ready, lol

#8,256 ·
Tried bolting my 33 in swampers onto my 3 in bb zj. No chance, then started hoisting up to see what height I need, just isn't going to happen with stock arms. Anybody need some 33s that seam like 37s? Lol.

#8,257 ·
badbird17x said:
Tried bolting my 33 in swampers onto my 3 in bb zj. No chance, then started hoisting up to see what height I need, just isn't going to happen with stock arms. Anybody need some 33s that seam like 37s? Lol.
Wtf they measure 32.5 tall. Last pic is hoisted 6 in over 3in bb

Attachments

#8,258 ·
Big day for both. Mutt got big shoes, bruiser is ready for the engine swap.

Attachments

#8,260 ·
Lol nice machete
I know, right?!? I have this sneaking suspicion that you might not be quite as excited about this machete as I am, lol. Lift? Winch? Tires? Yeah whatever...the machete will easily be the coolest part ever installed in my ZJ! lol.

And badbird...dude, thats badass!(But does it have any where to mount a machete?!?)Lol. I do like it though, sweet rig you have there.