Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#7,441 ·
Ordered new steering from rustys today, boy is it ever nice to be working again

#7,445 ·
That is beautiful.

#7,447 ·
Someday I need to find a black 79 4x4 Chevy luv. That was my dads truck that I first remember. All five packed in it. Then it was my first vehicle. Ah. The luvmobile.

#7,449 ·
I had my alignment double checked today by the shop that did it to get the steering wheel perfectly centered. I also washed it today because it was my last day for my 30 days of unlimited washes at a local car wash. I might be regretting that in the morning when I get up and everything is frozen on it. It's already about 9 degrees here and it's going to get colder...

#7,450 ·
ejschultz said:
I had my alignment double checked today by the shop that did it to get the steering wheel perfectly centered. I also washed it today because it was my last day for my 30 days of unlimited washes at a local car wash. I might be regretting that in the morning when I get up and everything is frozen on it. It's already about 9 degrees here and it's going to get colder...
I hate that.

#7,452 ·
When I have to wash my truck in the morning when I get to the shop, so it can dry all day, so I can have a smoke when I drive to work the next day, or get in it for that matter. Oh and I hate paying for alignments that I can see it's off by looking at it before I leave too. Only to return to them telling me again that the lasers said its perfect, and me again saying, the fn right front is visually off like 5 degrees, look at it. We will check it again. Yea I hate that too.

#7,453 ·
My alignment was actually pretty good. It tracks straight, I don't have any odd vibrations, and my caster is set to where I asked. They clearly skipped centering the wheel though. Out of everything, that is probably the biggest thing most people notice. I don't care if my alignment is 100% dead on. If my steering wheel is t centered, I'm complaining. I don't want to look at a crooked wheel while I drive. /rant

#7,454 ·
I'm picky as heck. I hate destroying expensive tires.

I cranked my dmax just a little to keep it from rubbing when I put new wheels on, it drove to town fine, but when you looked at it from the front the rf was way out on top, that's the only reason I brought it in. When I picked it up they where closed, so I left it cause I was poed. Next they said you have to take it cause it checks out perfect. Drove it strait to Fargo for another alignment.

My dmax was in an accident that bent the rear housing on both sides, after the truck was fixed it went to the Fargo alignment shop because they are also the gm dealer, and it wouldn't start. They checked my rearend 3 times said its fine though again you could see it, and the front of the tires measured .5 in closer than the rear of the tires. To top it off the service manager kept telling me that if the axles where bent the tires would wobble. Idiot. I kept saying NOT in a floating rearend. Yea I had to buy a new rearend, after it went back there after 300 miles and my new tires feathered horribly.

Moral of the rant. Personally I think alignment shops in my area have not a clue what they are doing. I could easily do better with a tape measure.

#7,455 ·
I wouldn't trust myself to do it with a tape measure. I know there's a walk through somewhere on here on how to do it that way, but I'd rather have a "professional" do it with lasers. It still may not end up perfect, but it's definitely better than I would do. That I can guarantee. The shop I picked was one of two shops in my area that would touch a lifted vehicle. The other shop is owned by a guy I don't like much because he screwed me pretty badly in the past with one of my vehicles. That was the point I decided to do my own work, except for alignments.

#7,456 ·
I still bring them in to the local shop that pissed me off. Most the time things are ok. I know it's not a fail proof system, hell I used to do them for the local shop right out of high school. There is a few things you can do wrong to mess it up. To me if you can see a problem, fix it. That's what upsets me is the lack of, yea that's way off let's try again.

#7,457 ·
Snowing tonight, have about 2-3 inches right now. So i went driving and caught a libby tearing up a parking lot for like 10 minutes. Took a video but my phone wont let me load it. But I took a pic of my jeep.

Attachments

#7,458 ·
Looks great.

You will have to custom fab anything like what you want. There isn't an abundance of room there either, and you will have to cut out the front metal lets call it a bumper crossmember. Lol. But the ac, and rad are right there. With your grill guard you could enclose that, with lights in it , and cut out your front bumper to mount the winch in leaving just the cable and rolers showing. Might look good.
Below is a photo of a winch in the front bumper posted by LordHobbit.

My plan is to cut away the bumper only over the winch spool. With my grille guard the winch could stick out more. The relay box will go under the hood.
Don't know what winch will fit best, would be nice to have it smaller on each side of the spool.

#7,459 ·
I like that. Should pm him and ask how he did it.