Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#7,302 ·
#7,303 ·
ninjastar said:
Adjusted my adjustable track bar and now it feels and seems like its not going to hit the spring retainer anymore.

Anyone know if code 32 which is talking about the egr vale is a fix it now or later type of deal because Im going to hit the trails this thursday.
Not going to say jeeps do it, but I had a 96 s-10 blazer with a vortec 4.3 that the egr went out causing it to feel like there was a brick under the brake pedal. I launched off a river bank and smashed into a tree before it hit the water. Body shop fixed it and was driving it to the dealer to get it fixed, rear ended a car at the one stop light in our town.

Never had anything else do that, and hope I never do.

#7,305 ·
drove the 94 to a few bars got **** plowed tryed to do 4wd fulltime burnouts in the 242 cant so i um yeah thats it ....

#7,306 ·
Changed my transmission fluid and filter today. My first time ever changing transmission fluid. Went smoother than I expected. That stuff was dirty....
im gonna change mine too. It was parked at the PO house for about three years. Ive had it just over a year now. I think its time to give the tranny some TLC.:thumbsup:

#7,307 ·
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27894

When I've had EGR issues in the past with other vehicles, it's caused intermittent rough idling and occasional stalling. They always started right back up though.
If I dont have rough idling and stalling does that mean mean my egr is still good? But if the egr valve is not replaced and it will start right back up does that mean I dont really have to replace it before I hit the trails?...........Can someone comfrim this?

:confused: How did you adjust an adjustable trackbar?!? I didn't know you could do that!
LOL

Not going to say jeeps do it, but I had a 96 s-10 blazer with a vortec 4.3 that the egr went out causing it to feel like there was a brick under the brake pedal. I launched off a river bank and smashed into a tree before it hit the water. Body shop fixed it and was driving it to the dealer to get it fixed, rear ended a car at the one stop light in our town.

Never had anything else do that, and hope I never do.
Was that from the cause of the egr?

#7,308 ·
Did some work cleaning up my front axle housing so I can give it some paint and hopefully rebuild it...

Should be interesting, never done this before... Wondering if I but if more than I can chew?

Any suggestions for how I can strengthen this axle housing? I understand that a HP30 is a stronger axle, along with others, but this is the one I have for free. So I's like to make it as strong as I can...

Also any suggestions to make this project successful? I'm toying with the idea of paying to have the gearing done by a pro... Although I would rather spend that money to but the tools to do it right myself if possible... Thoughts?

Bicycle part Gas Wood Auto part Nut

#7,309 ·
If I dont have rough idling and stalling does that mean mean my egr is still good? But if the egr valve is not replaced and it will start right back up does that mean I dont really have to replace it before I hit the trails?...........Can someone comfrim this?
I drove with a bad EGR in my Jimmy for the two years I had it. The pintle would occasionally go out of position and it would run like garbage. I guess it could mess with the brakes because it is vacuum controlled. I never had any experiences like that though. I had hesitant acceleration, very rough idling, poor gas mileage, and occasional stalling.

#7,310 ·
ninjastar said:
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27894

LOL

Was that from the cause of the egr?
It was Definately caused by the egr. After many hours of lawyers, better business bureau, insurance companies, the body shop, gm, and I. In the end gm paid for my deductible, and the 2 damaged vehicles from the last collision.

It was determined that the egr was the culprit somehow. Though my mechanical mind can't completely figure it out, the egr was messing up the vacuum, and somehow made it so you could not push the pedal.

#7,311 ·
The brake booster is vacuum controlled. I'd guess the pressure was way out of whack and it caused the brake booster to not work, causing the brake pedal to seize, somehow. It doesn't really make much sense to me, but that's the best I can figure.

Also, an HP30 isn't any stronger than a LP30 when they're used in their correct applications.

#7,312 ·

Also, an HP30 isn't any stronger than a LP30 when they're used in their correct applications.
if you drive your lp30 in reverse down the trail, then sure:rolleyes:

but hp30 still gives a lifted zj much better angles up front (caster, pinion, clearance) so even if they were the same strength, it wiould still be an upgrade from the LP

#7,313 ·
That's where I was too. I can see no vacuum but then your brakes would act as they would with the engine off. I bent the steering wheel pushing with both legs, a river bank like in the movies makes you panic. That thing was solid as a rock, and never moved from its full up position. I do know the egr fixed it, and it has 200,000 more miles without a problem.

You should have heard my buddy at the body shop. He was pretty obvious about thinking I was just drunk. Then calls me up, the fn brakes where like there was a brick under them!!!!!

#7,314 ·
speedbucket said:
if you drive your lp30 in reverse down the trail, then sure:rolleyes:

but hp30 still gives a lifted zj much better angles up front (caster, pinion, clearance) so even if they were the same strength, it wiould still be an upgrade from the LP
I think I remember hearing besides the obvious benefits of the Hp, that the gears where stronger, and can take more than the lp. But I could be wrong.

#7,315 ·
I think I remember hearing besides the obvious benefits of the Hp, that the gears where stronger, and can take more than the lp. But I could be wrong.
not stronger gears persay but more surface contact between the ring and pinion which makes them more durable

#7,316 ·
squazz said:
not stronger gears persay but more surface contact between the ring and pinion which makes them more durable
That's what I meant. Thanks.

#7,319 ·
pincheburro956 said:
Speaking of HP30s, can I just swap all my steering components from my 94 V8 ZJ, to an HP30 from a 90 XJ I6. Or would I have to cut, weld, make brackets.
Mainly talking about the trackbar/steering stabilizer bracket...
X2

And sway bar connection points?

#7,320 ·
its all the same