Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#6,362 ·
Yes everything will as long as you have a u-joint driveshaft and not sure if the 91s came with ABS but I am assuming you aren't concerned with that. I'd have to double check on the sway bar link bolt size because I know the XJ mounting bolts were pressed in unlike the ZJ's

#6,363 ·
Will the front HP30 out of a 91 XJ be a direc swap into my ZJ if i got the IRO driverside arm for an XJ? Everything else will work?
Not sure what you mean by driverside arm, as the bracketing is exactly the same between the two center styles ( <<This is wrong!!!). You might have pinion-angle issues, but that's about it, unless you care about ABS. I'm not sure if the non-abs axles have the provisions for the abs sensor in the knuckles. Also think about inspection and the ABS light being on. That can always be deterred by some bulb removal. :thumbsup:

OT>

Got my rebuild kit and chain from my neighbor who happens to be a transmission parts salesman. All I need now is the rear oil slinger, which I ordered through the dealer and should be ready Friday. Just in time for this crazy winter we're having...NOT.:thumbdown:

Edit: Just saw aircruiser's post about the sway bar. That's a good point.

#6,365 ·
Not sure what you mean by driverside arm, as the bracketing is exactly the same between the two center styles. You might have pinion-angle issues, but that's about it, unless you care about ABS. I'm not sure if the non-abs axles have the provisions for the abs sensor in the knuckles. Also think about inspection and the ABS light being on. That can always be deterred by some bulb removal. :thumbsup:

OT>

Got my rebuild kit and chain from my neighbor who happens to be a transmission parts salesman. All I need now is the rear oil slinger, which I ordered through the dealer and should be ready Friday. Just in time for this crazy winter we're having...NOT.:thumbdown:

Edit: Just saw aircruiser's post about the sway bar. That's a good point.
I dont use a front sway bar. According to some other people the driverside iro long arm will hit the pumpkin or something so it may take some modifying. I guess the gusset is different or something, im not sure
The IRO long arms are different between the LP and HP D30's, he will need the XJ driver's side long arm.

#6,371 ·
#6,374 ·
Took the rear trim panel off the back hatch off tonight so that I could replace my rear wiper motor. Very easy job to do.

#6,375 ·
Remounted the newly painted front bumper. Sealed my K&N Fipk heat shield with a lid and more metal against the fender, made a cold air port with sheet metal where the factory had small fresh air route between the radiator and headlight on the drivers side. Insulated the outside (facing motor and exhaust manifold.) and inside (facing filter) with foam tape w/ reflective side. Drove around in the snow to see how much water would get in; only small drops and actual frozen drops sitting around the filter. Win & Good.

#6,377 ·
For 4 tires shipped to my door it was 500 bucks. They were more because of the size. 245/75/16. I miss having 15's so many more options and cheaper pricing.
That's a pretty killer price. I'm torn on swapping out my TSi wheels for that reason. The wheels and some of the interior stuff (darker faux wood, steering wheel radio controls, VIC) are all I have left from the TSi package that a Laredo didn't have. I like the look of the wheels too because you don't see them too often on ZJs. But they're 16s.

#6,378 ·
well turns out it wasnt my transmission leaking, it was my rear main seal. looks like im not gonna get my jeep back any time soon

#6,379 ·
well turns out it wasnt my transmission leaking, it was my rear main seal. looks like im not gonna get my jeep back any time soon
The 5.2 has a 2 piece rear main seal, on the 4.0 you can replace it without removing the transmission. Just have to take the oil pan off and the rear main bearing. This allows you to use a small punch to spin the seal around. Reverse removal procedure to install the new seal. If you don't struggle much on the oil pan the job only takes like an hour and a half. I would think you could do this on the 5.2 as well?

Researched and yes you can. Don't let them charge you transmission R&R!!! As a shop I would be charging 3.3 hours to do the job on a 5.2 and it would be less then $300.

#6,380 ·
Tirerack FTW. I guess it pays to live close to them. I've bought 5 or 6 sets of tires from them and their customer service is top notch. I drive out there each time to get them mounted and balanced and get to drive home on a new set of rubber each time. I'll buy from them for life.
Was back reading in here and saw this. I agree completely. I always use Tire Rack for my personal vehicles.

I've also auto crossed my old Audi up at their track, that was a blast!

One of the head managers for tire testing was there and walked me around the track giving me and a few other newbies some tricks on entry angles, apex, and exiting corners to line up for the next one. He also said something about letting people race there was quite an investment because it puts so much wear and tear on the tires and people will always come and buy tires after that hahahaha.