What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 3185 - JeepForum.com
 243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #47761 of 47955 Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 PM
ax1598ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
That's exactly what the issue is. There's an extra layer of steel on part of the frame rails and the space is about as thick as two puddy knife blades on my drivers side and 1 puddy blade thick on the passenger side. I cut out some shims to make up the difference. It's fine now but I broke one bracket and stripped a grade 8 bolt tightening it to spec prior to the fix. They should include this in the instructions. Sent from my GRACE using Tapatalk
I read through their instructions for the 4 link, sounds like the made new nutsert plates to fix that problem. Weird they didn't do the same with the original setup especially since it's been around a long time.

1998 green ZJ 4.0L, ax15 trans and a vengeful PCM, 4.5" lift 33x10.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47762 of 47955 Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Junior1210
1996 ZJ 

Ordered two key fobs from https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ . I didn't get one when I bought it from P.O., gonna hope this will lessen accidentally tripping the alarm (usually late at night) when I go to work.
post #47763 of 47955 Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior1210 View Post
Ordered two key fobs from https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ . I didn't get one when I bought it from P.O., gonna hope this will lessen accidentally tripping the alarm (usually late at night) when I go to work.
Good deal, two choices at either $18 or $28 for the '96 ZJ.

FWIW, the key fob remote for my ZJ is obscenely expensive.

Thank goodness I was able to refurbish mine by swapping out the switches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47764 of 47955 Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Junior1210
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post

The price must be linked to sales, 'cause I got my two for $14.77 each. There's a few on Ebay too, but I preferred to go with a business. If I had to pay the cost like yours, I think I'd just have to do without. That was good work on those switches.
post #47765 of 47955 Old 09-22-2017, 07:39 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post

That is some good info right there. I bought about 6 FOBs for my 95s when you could get the cheap aftermarket ones. I see those are no longer available.
post #47766 of 47955 Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Major stuff is in. Rear track bar bolt is going to be cut to I can get a wrench on it, if that doesn't work I'm going to weld a nut on the end.
It's the only thing keeping me from pulling it out of the garage.
Front at ride height.
5.5" 35 12.50.

Sent from my GRACE using Tapatalk
post #47767 of 47955 Old 09-23-2017, 04:03 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Finally got this pos out of the garage on its own power.
IRO 5.5" long arm kit and 35 12.50 17" MTRs. 3 link front and 5 link in rear.

The rear driveshaft is barely engaged. I'm going to shorten the rear arms and measure but I'm almost positive that I'll need a longer rear shaft.
Does anyone know the lengths of the rear shafts? If I remember correctly the 93-95 have longer shafts. That would be an easy jy pull.
It's taller than I really want and when I go full widths I'll probably lower it a bit and cut.
Damn drag like tre hits the SS bolt. I'm going to either have to bend it or get an over the top steering. I'll probably bend it since I'm tossing this axle in the trash eventually.
I still need to install the shocks but IROs relocation mounts need to be modified to fit correctly.
I need to install the brake line extensions but the pressure bolt is on their really good and is starting to strip. I'm going to try to use some vice grips on them.
I had to drill out the tear lower track bar bolt because it was not coming out.
I tried cutting the head to fit
a wrench but it didn't work.
There's a factory welded nut on the back and somehow the threads are still good and I was able to tighten down the rear track bar but I don't trust it so that's another issue I need to address.
Still need to drill out the front sway bar mount holes. Wasn't able to separate the links so I just cut them off. I could have gotten a puller but the cutter was right there.
I think that's it for now, there's still a ton of work to do on it.

One positive thing is that there was no death wobble pulling out of the garage

kaspre likes this.
post #47768 of 47955 Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Finally got this pos out of the garage on its own power.
IRO 5.5" long arm kit and 35 12.50 17" MTRs. 3 link front and 5 link in rear.

The rear driveshaft is barely engaged. I'm going to shorten the rear arms and measure but I'm almost positive that I'll need a longer rear shaft.
Does anyone know the lengths of the rear shafts? If I remember correctly the 93-95 have longer shafts. That would be an easy jy pull.
It's taller than I really want and when I go full widths I'll probably lower it a bit and cut.
Damn drag like tre hits the SS bolt. I'm going to either have to bend it or get an over the top steering. I'll probably bend it since I'm tossing this axle in the trash eventually.
I still need to install the shocks but IROs relocation mounts need to be modified to fit correctly.
I need to install the brake line extensions but the pressure bolt is on their really good and is starting to strip. I'm going to try to use some vice grips on them.
I had to drill out the tear lower track bar bolt because it was not coming out.
I tried cutting the head to fit
a wrench but it didn't work.
There's a factory welded nut on the back and somehow the threads are still good and I was able to tighten down the rear track bar but I don't trust it so that's another issue I need to address.
Still need to drill out the front sway bar mount holes. Wasn't able to separate the links so I just cut them off. I could have gotten a puller but the cutter was right there.
I think that's it for now, there's still a ton of work to do on it.

One positive thing is that there was no death wobble pulling out of the garage

Looks good!

Have you swapped t-cases yet? Going ISY 249 to ESY 231 should push the rear shaft back a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #47769 of 47955 Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Looks good!

Have you swapped t-cases yet? Going ISY 249 to ESY 231 should push the rear shaft back a bit.
No, I'm not going to be able to soon. Winter is on its way and I need to get the front and rear shafts in working order first.
My wife will have to drive this on occasion as well and I don't want to complicate it just yet haha.

post #47770 of 47955 Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM
clrkent67

replaced spark plugs, cap, and rotor on my 98 4.0. but still wants to fall on its face when reved quickly from idle when cold. thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #47771 of 47955 Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 PM
ax1598ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Finally started make some progress of the Dana 30 today. Stock carrier and pinion shims netted no backlash and needed more pinion depth.

So moved the carrier over to the left .021", has a good amount of backlash (guessing just over top of spec, like in the low teens) and I know the pinion needs to go in more. But the dial indicator I have takes a battery, and it's dead so I can't know exactly. I'll worry about it tomorow I guess.

1998 green ZJ 4.0L, ax15 trans and a vengeful PCM, 4.5" lift 33x10.5
post #47772 of 47955 Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Hammer'd my thumb while trying to hammer out the U-joint bearing caps on my DC joint in front driveshaft. That was the moment I said "I'm done for today" and had to restrain myself so the downstairs neighbor and her kid didn't hear me scream profanity.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż
post #47773 of 47955 Old 09-25-2017, 06:58 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The thumb is there for aiming at the target.

A "cheat sheet" w/ all the profanity words listed is useful to avoid forgetting the favs.

Get a shop press. It is soooo handy.
kaspre likes this.

post #47774 of 47955 Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Even if money weren't a factor, I do not have the space for a shop press.

I'm gonna check the basement of the apartment. I feel like I saw a Vise on a table last I saw and I've just learned about a vise trick to pushing out bearing caps.

P.S.: Who needs a cheatsheet? Just repeat Good Ol' George's 7 little words.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż
post #47775 of 47955 Old 09-25-2017, 07:14 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Put a light bulb socket and a lamp shade on the top, then keep it next to the sofa.
SDJeremy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.