What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #4546
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I found out my noise isn't my trackbar. It's my steering gear. I had my buddy turn the steering wheel as I watched and felt for the "clunk" I was hearing. My trackbar looked good, the tie rod ends all looked good, then I saw the pitman moving in a way that didn't look right up at the steering gear. I reached up and the whole rod that comes out of the steering gear has play. Dammit. At least I bought the rebuilt with the lifetime warranty last time. I wonder if they'll let me turn that one in for a Durango box. Are there any mods to installing a Durango box or do they just basically bolt right up?

ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4547
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
A race car is not the same as a daily driver. They both have very different needs.
That's fine for racing when you have a heavily modded engine that can use the free flow. You can rebuild it all the time, and you toss the filter after each race. I am not going to put a filter on my DD truck that I can see light through the other side. The reason it flows better is because it filters less. Paper has twice the filtering surface area as well. My oil was twice as dirty at oil changes with the K&N than the stock filter. To each his own.
I have a personal experience with K&N filters. I race Quads and I went through a motor on my yzf450 after a sandy track. I ran a K&N filter at that time. When I tore down the motor, the carb was full of dirt and sand, and the cylinder was scored severely. Swapped out the K&N, never happened again. Moral of the story, I'll never run a K&N again.
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #4548
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI

I have a personal experience with K&N filters. I race Quads and I went through a motor on my yzf450 after a sandy track. I ran a K&N filter at that time. When I tore down the motor, the carb was full of dirt and sand, and the cylinder was scored severely. Swapped out the K&N, never happened again. Moral of the story, I'll never run a K&N again.
Did you have an outerware, was it oiled, I cleaned and oiled mine on my 05 Baldwin motored, and 06 stock motored 450s only when they where dirty. Both those machines have never been rebuilt
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #4549
Grand93Cherokee
1993 ZJ 

Replaced burnt turn signal, and realized oil filter adapter was leaking oil. :-(
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #4550
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Resumed installing component speakers. This 1 day fix has turned into a 3 day PITA, the rain has just interrupted me every single time I actually start getting anything done. Tomorrow ought to be a good day for some progress since its supposed to be the first sunny non rainy day in a week.

The bad is my oil filter adapter has started to leak slightly faster. A few drips rather then just one a day, and my dimmer slider had decided to finally call it quits, and the oil pressure sender has decided 0 is a good resting spot, jumps to 30+ with any gas. Between the dead battery, broken dimmer switch, oil pressure sender I'm having a fun week so far.

On the plus side, as a guy that hadn't handled wires other then to observe them, this install is going pretty well. The amp wiring north of the firewall blends in with the weatherstripping over it and if I shortened it an inch the length would be spot on. Inside I'll need to put the trim back in place before it blends but its getting there. I discovered that under the rear seats there is a massive quantity of space, so I can probably add in another amp when I upgrade the head unit.

Anyone know the stock tweeter size? I'm thinking of shoving some 3.5" full range speakers in there if they'll fit. Wiring past the plastic door grommet looked to be impossible without drilling, so I spliced into the old speaker wires for that, but I used the sail panel for the tweeter as I couldn't figure out how to wire the crossover to the stock location. (or how to make it fit, darn thing was 1" stock tweeters have to be at least 3".)

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #4551
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The factory tweeters are small. I had to dremel out the factory bracket to mount my Pioneer tweeters. There's pics in my build log. You can search for it if you'd like. "Ejschultz build log" should be the title. I'd copy and paste a link for you but I'm about to throw my phone at the wall because its acting stupid while I'm trying to type this.

EDIT:

I jumped on my computer before I broke my phone...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1012740/
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #4552
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Installed my 2"bb spacers from daystar on saturday and just had my wheels and tires installed today. 15x7 4inbs with BFG KM2 31x10.50x15

I was wondering, I measured the height from the center of the wheel to the fender and all were 20in but the left passanger side measured 21in. Did I do something wrong when I installed my spacers because I left the stock spring isolaters as well. Is it suppose to go spring,spacer and then spring isolator because thats what it said in the instructions for the front and said nothing about it for the rear. Also when I installed the spacers, it didnt fit snug and there was play in the front and a little bit more play in the front. Is this suppose to happen?
ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #4553
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x

Did you have an outerware, was it oiled, I cleaned and oiled mine on my 05 Baldwin motored, and 06 stock motored 450s only when they where dirty. Both those machines have never been rebuilt
It was oiled with sticky filter oil. No pre filter. I will admit, i had to lean out the jetting without the K&N. Witch tells me the K&N flowed more air, but at what cost? My twin air foam filter has never let dirt in the carb.
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #4554
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
The factory tweeters are small. I had to dremel out the factory bracket to mount my Pioneer tweeters. There's pics in my build log. You can search for it if you'd like. "Ejschultz build log" should be the title. I'd copy and paste a link for you but I'm about to throw my phone at the wall because its acting stupid while I'm trying to type this.

EDIT:

I jumped on my computer before I broke my phone...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1012740/
did you notice a difference with the new tweeters?
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #4555
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Got a picture of my wheels installed
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #4556
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
did you notice a difference with the new tweeters?
Most definitely. The factory Infinity Gold system is "meh" at best. As long as you go with a decent component set, ie. nothing from Walmart, you should get better sound quality. I chose Pioneer D series components because of their price to quality ratio. For the money, you'd have a hard tine finding something better. I'm also a little biased because I run Pioneer reference series speakers in my car, which is set up for SQ competition.
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #4557
heepey
1996 ZJ 

Took it on a 4 day Leafpeep and camping trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone NP.

Had to get back to work to upload pics.
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #4558
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Fitted new spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, replaced one front foglight and put new bulbs in the VIC. After that I cleaned up the Idle Air Control valve - very greasy indeed. Quite a quiet evening by recent standards.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #4559
NW-XJ
1998 ZJ 

I blew my Dana 30 up. New Locker, R&P and setup in order!
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #4560
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Ordered a new Transmission mount since mine has disintegrated. Also found out my Titan uses a D44 IFS, and a solid rear axle D44 with 32spline count (tempting if a Nissan will ever die ) They also made 35spline count after 2008
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.