Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#51,962 ·
Fat rubber band should help the Phillips bite

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s
I'll give that a shot.
Why not just use a six point hex socket, perhaps a 5/16"?
Tried several sockets and they will not go on. Seems like there isn't enough room between the cap and the head for a socket to fit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#51,964 ·
Finally got around to do the testing for my Parasitic draw. Got tired of disconnecting the battery cable after using the ZJ. I first started by disconnecting the negative cable and used a test light. I then removed every fuse hoping that the light would go out letting me know what was causing the draw. No Good!!
So I call in the big guns. My son inlaw :smile2:
he brought his meter and started the testing. In about 1/2 hour he told me that it was my auto start. (after market)
He disconnected it and we made sure everything still worked and ZJ started with the key.
The truck sat for 3 days and battery was still at full charge. So I started the new year off on a positive note.
As I look back at this...… What a pain in the *** this problem was!!

#51,967 ·
Cancel the order and get Timken instead.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Any special reason? Timken, Precision, Moog and DA all have the exact same part number. Plus these come with 10 year warranty instead of just 3.

#51,969 ·
I've decided to do a little pre-stroker upgrade to the intake / exhaust on my 4.0 since the stroker is probably a year out from being done (still only doing research and collecting parts) and I planned on doing these things for the stroker anyway.

So hopefully allowing the 4.0 to breathe a little easier will help a bit in the mountains when towing my camper. I'm not expecting a miracle, but anything will help especially in the higher RPM range. I usually have to run in the 3000 - 4000 RPM area to keep up with traffic on the steep sections of I-70.

Parts ordered / pulled from the JY -

-WJ Horseshoe intake manifold
-62 mm bored throttle body
-62 mm throttle body spacer
-Bosch 12 hole fuel injectors and EV1 adapters - Flow matched to 1%
-Insulation kit for under the manifold / fuel rail and injectors
-Doug Thorley Tri-Y header - on back order until the end of January.

#51,970 ·
Driver side loosened right up. This son of a ***** won't budge. Been PB'd, tried getting a socket on but there's not enough room been the cap and the head, and can't get enough downward pressure using a Phillips to not have it cam out.

HALP!

I seem to remember the OEM caps having 7mm retaining screws. I always used a nut driver, they seem to be thinner walled.

#51,971 ·
I seem to remember the OEM caps having 7mm retaining screws. I always used a nut driver, they seem to be thinner walled.
I might just have to grind down a socket.

Was so excited to show pictures of working on the Niner I forgot to say the I picked up a 242. Guy had it in his '98 4.0 but just switched to a 231 and wanted it out of his garage. $70 + 1 hour drive = it's mine.

#51,972 ·
Finally got around to do the testing for my Parasitic draw. In about 1/2 hour he told me that it was my auto start. (after market)
I want to say 90% of the time when a customer comes into my shop with a parasitic draw it's either an aftermarket alarm, auto start, or botched stereo install. I despise them haha

Glad you found the issue though [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#51,973 ·
I've owned "Noj" (new old jeep) since Thanksgiving. We're just getting to know each other. One thing I noticed, the door panel on the front right had a corner held by a sheet-metal screw. I removed it and the door card popped loose on the edge. Who ever replaced the factory speakers in the door, did an amazing job: They ripped the door liner down, destroying it. Screwed the Rockford Fosgate speaker down. Crumpled the remains of the door liner into a ball, then forced the door card edges against the door, damaging the plastic fasteners in the process. Since it wouldn't stay, they drilled a hole and screwed the panel down with a sheet metal screw in the corner, leaving the rest loose.

I've only looked at one door so far, but it was so screwed up, I'm sure the rest are also bad. Makes me wonder about the after market stereo install. How badly did they hack into the factory harness. I'll find out this weekend. I plan to carefully go through the sound system. I wondered why the system sounded so dull, even though it has an expensive looking Sony head unit. It also bugs me the steering wheel controls no longer work. Who would ever think this is the way to improve their car. I do not understand.

I ordered Dynamat door liner material to replace the torn door liners. It arrived yesterday. I sourced two of the needed plastic door-panel fasteners at the dealer for $5 each! Ouch! Oreally's auto parts have some for $2.75 each, but they weren't a good fit, so I returned them. I could use advice--does anyone know where I can get those plastic door panel fasteners at a decent price? I'm sure I'll need a bunch of them, when I check all four doors.

Thanks!

Attachments

#51,974 ·
I've owned "Noj" (new old jeep) since Thanksgiving. We're just getting to know each other. One thing I noticed, the door panel on the front right had a corner held by a sheet-metal screw. I removed it and the door card popped loose on the edge. Who ever replaced the factory speakers in the door, did an amazing job: They ripped the door liner down, destroying it. Screwed the Rockford Fosgate speaker down. Crumpled the remains of the door liner into a ball, then forced the door card edges against the door, damaging the plastic fasteners in the process. Since it wouldn't stay, they drilled a hole and screwed the panel down with a sheet metal screw in the corner, leaving the rest loose.

I've only looked at one door so far, but it was so screwed up, I'm sure the rest are also bad. Makes me wonder about the after market stereo install. How badly did they hack into the factory harness. I'll find out this weekend. I plan to carefully go through the sound system. I wondered why the system sounded so dull, even though it has an expensive looking Sony head unit. It also bugs me the steering wheel controls no longer work. Who would ever think this is the way to improve their car. I do not understand.

I ordered Dynamat door liner material to replace the torn door liners. It arrived yesterday. I sourced two of the needed plastic door-panel fasteners at the dealer for $5 each! Ouch! Oreally's auto parts have some for $2.75 each, but they weren't a good fit, so I returned them. I could use advice--does anyone know where I can get those plastic door panel fasteners at a decent price? I'm sure I'll need a bunch of them, when I check all four doors.

Thanks!
Previous owner sounds like a moron, try Amazon or the almighty eBay and if all else fails you could go to a junkyard as try n coax a few out without destroying them

94 ZJ 4.5" on 31s

#51,975 ·

Thanks!
Crutchfield will sell you a harness that'll get those steering wheel controls working again. The harness is kind of expensive, however, so I skipped it in my own install for that reason.

The PO probably broke some of the clips on the door panel and didn't want to replace them, but they're pretty cheap and easy to do and with the door liner all torn up, it gives you the opportunity to replace with some dynamat or something a little better for sound deadening.

Because I'm a big weenie I haven't been out in the garage since it got cold, but I had babysitting yesterday and today, so I turned on the propane heater and spent all day in the garage yesterday. Got my tools all cleaned up and put away and then got my intake disassembled, as well as my valve covers. The PCV and breather grommets were so hard they were like plastic and it was a good long fight to get them off. And no surprise, there was plenty of oil in the intake. I still need to take apart the throttle body.

Today I'm going to hit up Harbor Freight and pick up a parts washer they have for $100, which I'm hoping will make it a little easier to get everything cleaned up.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#51,977 ·

Thanks!
Barricade Garage on YouTube has a ZJ video with a link to a whole bunch of these Fasteners on Amazon. Not exactly sure which video it is but you can find it eventually.

#51,978 ·
I get all my small parts like that from https://www.auveco.com/

Do the part lookup on their site and then usually order from amazon or ebay.

#51,980 ·
Got a new cam position sensor delivered today since the old one was showing corrosion. Cleaned up the distributor shaft as well as I could for the new rotor and slapped the new cap on.

The fuel rails came off next to put in new o-rings and filter baskets. I'll eventually upgrade the injectors...maybe sooner than later, a couple look meh. Cleaned out the injector manifold holes and calling it a night.

I seem to be doing a bunch of stuff that isn't what NEEDS to be fixed...i.e. I'm not working on the rusted brake line...