Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#5,101 ·
Today, I got my salvage ZJ a little further along. I have my salvage inspection on Wednesday morning, and it's ready for the inspection. There are lots of other things that need attention still, and today I got a few more things ticked off my list.

Changed the oil. YUK. The oil in there from before I got the ZJ was NAAAASTY. I may have to do some early oil changes or at least filter changes to be sure I get all the gunk out.

Installed new cap, rotor, wires and plugs. The plugs that were in there looked OK, but I replaced them with some double-platinums to try to get a bit better spark, and therefore better fuel economy (hopefully)

Put new rear shocks on. Still need to do the fronts, but I ran out of time. Boy, shocks on these things are EASY. My Miata has factory coilovers, and it's a big job (4 hours for an experienced wrench like me), and the rears were cake! The driver front looks to be a bit of a challenge, but compared to getting at the shock bolts of the driver rear on a Miata, this looks simple.

Tracked down some electrical gremlins in the liftgate. I need to order some new bits and pieces (sensors) for back there, but at least I don't have to worry about the dome lights turning on in the middle of the night.

I've got lots of parts on the way, including new lift cylinders for the liftgate and the glass, catback exhaust, new o2 sensors, air filter, PCV valve and some other miscellaneous parts.

Woo! I can't wait until Wednesday! Then I can put plates on it and drive this sucker!

#5,104 ·
Finished up painting the roof

Cleaned out the interior

Replaced some burned out bulbs in the interior

Cleaned under the hood

Adjusted the drag link

Cleaned and conditioned the rubber cladding which turned out pretty nice.

Up next is fresh paint on the hitch, vacuum the interior, and wash the outside.

All of this in preparation to put her up for sale, I'm picking up a WJ in the next couple of weeks so it's time to move this one on.

#5,109 ·
Fixed the central locking on my front doors.

Yesterday I repaired a broken door trim card (after doing an oil change on my Chevrolet and blatting off 50 rounds at the local rifle range).

#5,112 ·
Upside said:
Finished up painting the roof

Cleaned out the interior

Replaced some burned out bulbs in the interior

Cleaned under the hood

Adjusted the drag link

Cleaned and conditioned the rubber cladding which turned out pretty nice.

Up next is fresh paint on the hitch, vacuum the interior, and wash the outside.

All of this in preparation to put her up for sale, I'm picking up a WJ in the next couple of weeks so it's time to move this one on.
will adjusting the drag mess up alignmeny? will that help with wheel wander?

#5,116 ·
Finished the shock replacement. Wow. Shocks on the ZJ are cake! Even the driver front was pretty easy.

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Since I just replaced the cap, wires, rotor and plugs, I assume the slightly rough idle is due to an injector that's not flowing right.

Then, after all that, I took it over to the pay-n-spray and washed it. It was filthy for having sat behind my house (wrecked) for two years while I got all the stuff together to buy it from the owner and repair it....

Now, I'm only a couple days away from my salvage inspection. woot! Wednesday morning at 8am!

#5,117 ·
found this grille guard on craigslist for $175. I figured I'd just put this on, buy a stock bumper (found one on craigslist for $50), and get the KOR rad-support, instead of spending 800 with shipping on a pre-runner winch bumper. It's a medium-term setup, cause I can't afford the KOR Bumper. But I like how it looks, even without the bumper cover

#5,119 ·
I like the way that looks too, without the bumper cover in place. I've been thinking about getting one of those eventually. How did it mount up?
It came with a bracket for each side, two bolts into the bottom piece of the radiator mount, a bolt that's already in the frame to the side of the radiator, and a bolt into the actual bumper (gotta drill that one, which I have not done yet).

Here's a different pic

2 bolts at the bottom of the radiator frame

1 bolt into the frame beside the radiator (I need to get some washers)

and where it bolts into the bumper, whenever I get around to drilling