What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2276 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #34126
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
Caster is my guess, which is currently non adjustable. ZJ adjust at the axle, where the XJ HP30 i put in adjust at the other end of the control arms, so there is no way to adjust caster on it currently. Gonna order some adjustable control arms tomorrow, as that should fix the issue i hope.
Remind me not to get an HP30.

I love adjustability wherever I can get it.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #34127
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

So the two tie rod ends look identical but have different part numbers. After installing everything I suspect the hole in the pitman arm might be a tiny fraction smaller than in the steering knuckle. Does this look right to anyone?
image-3969242678.jpg

Unread 08-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #34128
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glued2aPost View Post
So the two tie rod ends look identical but have different part numbers. After installing everything I suspect the hole in the pitman arm might be a tiny fraction smaller than in the steering knuckle. Does this look right to anyone?
The 2 short tie rods should be the same part number and same tie rod. It looks a little off to me. It should be straight not offset like your pic

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #34129
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj
The 2 short tie rods should be the same part number and same tie rod. It looks a little off to me. It should be straight not offset like your pic Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
Everywhere I've checked they're different numbers. The nut will not physically tighten any further...
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #34130
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post

Caster is my guess, which is currently non adjustable. ZJ adjust at the axle, where the XJ HP30 i put in adjust at the other end of the control arms, so there is no way to adjust caster on it currently. Gonna order some adjustable control arms tomorrow, as that should fix the issue i hope.
Really like the Rocky Road Outfitters adjustable control arms. Just FYI. For $179.
EndIsNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #34131
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

New adjustable LCA's on the way for it

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #34132
95knight
1998 ZJ 

So of course after i do my door hinge pins and think to myself shes been good lately no new problems, one shows up. I think it is an overdrive issue but let me know what you think of this:
Driving 45-60mph no higher or lower if i completely let off the throttle the revs will go from 1700 @50mph and go back and forth from 1200 and keep going back and forth till i slow below 45 or touch the throttle. Same thing for anything in that speed range with its respective rpms. So to sum up it bounces back and forth from say 1700 to 1200 to 1700, etc. Any ideas?
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #34133
JPropp
1997 ZJ 

Yeah your TRE looks like it needs to be untightened (or tightened, which ever way the threads are) to be flush with the pitman arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glued2aPost
JPropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #34134
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Edited..
Took her out for the first time in a few days, that's the longest she's sat untouched in a while. I'm getting a musty smell from something, i think it's time to pull the seats back out and shampoo/ultra detail clean the interior. I wonder if I'm gonna have enough time to even get the bilsteins installed, they're just sitting, waiting for me. I gotta deal with running a 1.5" main pipe from a well to a house before i can dig too deep into her, then I'll be working around a new job too. This is gonna be a crazy next few weeks
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #34135
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Finally started her for the first time in a month. She runs pretty good for a possible blown head gasket. Im going to do another compression check and see what that shows. Im pretty sure it has a dead plug because i could hear it missing through the exhaust around 2000-2200 rpms.

Unread 08-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #34136
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

had the tires rotated and balanced and replaced all the awful broken cap nuts
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #34137
airborndad
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glued2aPost View Post
Tie rod end need different part numbers
one is Left hand threads, one is Right hand threads
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #34138
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPropp
Yeah your TRE looks like it needs to be untightened (or tightened, which ever way the threads are) to be flush with the pitman arm.
I don't think it's the right part. Took it to bubba tight and let off just as the threads in the castle nut started to give. Just doesn't look or feel like it's seating right. I'm going by NAPA to see if they have the right part.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #34139
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Tie rod end need different part numbers one is Left hand threads, one is Right hand threads
They're the same thread direction, but the stud going through the pitman arm is too thick by an imperceptible margin. Checking with NAPA today. If they don't have it, dealership :-(
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #34140
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post

Tie rod end need different part numbers
one is Left hand threads, one is Right hand threads
They should be the same part number. They both go on the driver side, so they should be the same thread pattern too. The right part number should be Moog brand ES3096L.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.