What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2195 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #32911
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
So got in it after work today turn the key nothing but guages. Back to off then start and it starts and everything is fine.

Question is should i be worried? Or just a glitch or something?
Ignition switch problems. You sure it's not a GM?

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #32912
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Ignition switch problems. You sure it's not a GM?
I'm glad my gm car is a transponder with the resistor lol
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #32913
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674
Are you talking about the input shaft? Because almost everyone has to swap that, but the tailcone is completely different
I dunno. My case went right in. Spline counts were the same, shafts were the same, just has to move the speedo and gear sensor from the 249. The only remaining mystery is how people got their 249linkage adjusted to fit the shorter tab on the 242. I gave up and found a guy that has a linkage for a 242 that I'll grab tomorrow.
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #32914
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glued2aPost View Post

I dunno. My case went right in. Spline counts were the same, shafts were the same, just has to move the speedo and gear sensor from the 249. The only remaining mystery is how people got their 249linkage adjusted to fit the shorter tab on the 242. I gave up and found a guy that has a linkage for a 242 that I'll grab tomorrow.
Yeah, I don't remember how I got mine to work. Just that it did, and still does. I just had to adjust it a bit.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #32915
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

My external slip yoke 242 swapped perfectly into my ZJ that had an internal slip yoke 249 without issue. My stock driveshaft worked after I trimmed about an inch off slip yoke section of it. As far as the linkage goes, the 249 linkage works perfectly with the 242 after you properly adjust it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #32916
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I installed fuel injectors in the niner. And now, it runs the same, only when I unplug all 8 injectors, it runs the same as always. Before, if I unplugged any injector aside from #5, it would get worse.

I need to buy an OBD2 interface tool and see if any data from that will be useful. I'm too used to Nissans, where unplugging a fuel injector always means the cylinder receives no fuel.

Unread 06-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #32917
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I installed fuel injectors in the niner. And now, it runs the same, only when I unplug all 8 injectors, it runs the same as always. Before, if I unplugged any injector aside from #5, it would get worse.

I need to buy an OBD2 interface tool and see if any data from that will be useful. I'm too used to Nissans, where unplugging a fuel injector always means the cylinder receives no fuel.
Unplugging any injector will completely cut the fuel to that cylinder (in any port injection setup, Jeeps included). If it's running badly and misfiring all the time, it might be ignition related. Check the plugs, make sure they're not fouled and the gap is correct. If that checks out, suspect the coil, cap, rotor and wires. You can swap any of those from your 5.2 for testing if needed.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #32918
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Are you saying you can completely unplug all eight injectors simultaneously and it still runs?

And as far as OBD2 interfaces, I've always been a fan of the UltraGauge. Better readout than the Scangauge, and half the price of a OBD2 handheld from Advance Auto or somewhere.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #32919
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Are you saying you can completely unplug all eight injectors simultaneously and it still runs?

And as far as OBD2 interfaces, I've always been a fan of the UltraGauge. Better readout than the Scangauge, and half the price of a OBD2 handheld from Advance Auto or somewhere.
I just use Torque on my phone and a $15 OBDII Bluetooth adapter from eBay, total cost $20 and lets me do everything I need to on my Jeep.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #32920
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
So I've been driving for two days with no speedometer and therefore no overdrive, so on my lunch break today I pulled the vss apart and found this:

Yeah, that's my speedo gear shaved almost smooth. What the hell could cause that? I have a spare at home I could swap in, but damn.
Well there is you're problem
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #32921
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post

It was this morning. But now it only works when all 4 injectors on bank 1 are unplugged. And even with all 4 of them plugged in, unplugging 1 injector on bank 2 has no effect, but 2 injectors worsens the issue. And it's still running like it's on 7 cylinders, regardless of any of this.

The worst thing about this Jeep is, every time I re-evaluate it, the problem condition changes. It's hard to narrow any one thing down to repeat itself. I'm gonna go ahead and replace all 8 injectors and pore through the entire ignition system this afternoon, after my job interview. And I'll probably pay the FSM a nice long visit while I'm at it.

As far as OBD2 stuff goes, I'm a big fan of a bluetooth dongle and a smartphone with Torque installed, but I'd really like a multi-thousand-dollar technician-grade scanner interface...

Unread 06-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #32922
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
I just use Torque on my phone and a $15 OBDII Bluetooth adapter from eBay, total cost $20 and lets me do everything I need to on my Jeep.
This is the least expensive way to read codes and get some engine intel. Works good for me too.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #32923
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Looked in the mirror and noticed one of my eyes were light green and on was brown. Cool it must be that ones in a shadow and ones in sunlight
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #32924
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

It was this morning. But now it only works when all 4 injectors on bank 1 are unplugged. And even with all 4 of them plugged in, unplugging 1 injector on bank 2 has no effect, but 2 injectors worsens the issue. And it's still running like it's on 7 cylinders, regardless of any of this.

The worst thing about this Jeep is, every time I re-evaluate it, the problem condition changes. It's hard to narrow any one thing down to repeat itself. I'm gonna go ahead and replace all 8 injectors and pore through the entire ignition system this afternoon, after my job interview. And I'll probably pay the FSM a nice long visit while I'm at it.

As far as OBD2 stuff goes, I'm a big fan of a bluetooth dongle and a smartphone with Torque installed, but I'd really like a multi-thousand-dollar technician-grade scanner interface...
Is there a crack in the hg?
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #32925
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

This is the least expensive way to read codes and get some engine intel. Works good for me too.
Lies. Auto zone is free ninety free

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.