What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2156 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #32326
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I rotated the tires, did an oil change, and changed my air filter. I also installed my hitch on my Silverado, with the help of a fellow NWIJ member, so I can tow it down to Redbird Memorial Day weekend rather than driving it the 5.5 hours south to wheel.

ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #32327
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICEKILA View Post
Sooooooooooooo --

Wifey sayz - "When I hit the brakes - there's a noise"

"OK - how long has this been going on" ?

"About a month or two"

Next week -- disks
Sounds like my wife
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #32328
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Sounds like my wife
A few years ago she did the same thing with the 85 Monti

One disk side was worn down completely to the vanes -- when Photobucket comes back up -- I'll post a pic
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #32329
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Same thing my wife did with our durango on the front. Pass side was metal to metal and eating into the vanes on the back of the rotor.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #32330
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I cant find the pic - but it was something I never saw before ---- I dont get out much --
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #32331
glock1926
1997 ZJ 

Installed my lift, it was a pain had to sawzall all of the control arm bolts off. Now im just waiting on extended brake hoses and drop pitman arm.
wp_20140517_004.jpg   wp_20140516_012.jpg   wp_20140517_003.jpg  
glock1926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #32332
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1926 View Post
Installed my lift, it was a pain had to sawzall all of the control arm bolts off. Now im just waiting on extended brake hoses and drop pitman arm.
You dont need a drop pitman arm. It is just a waste of money just like the tcase drop is.

Unread 05-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #32333
radean84
1996 ZJ 

I've been pretty busy working on the ZJ lately and things are coming along nicely.

IRO rear long arm sub frame is installed:

Cleaned up and painted my beat up rocker panels, painted plastic window trim, TJ fuel bezel, IRO Almost Alloy u-joint axle shafts, charged AC:

5.2 V8 muffler delete (wouldn't fit with IRO sub frame):

Unread 05-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #32334
glock1926
1997 ZJ 

[QUOTE=big98tnzj;22990921]You dont need a drop pitman arm. It is just a waste of money just like the tcase drop is.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum[/QUOTE

When I put the Jeep on the hoist and lift it in the air I can watch the tie rod bend down about an inch. because the axle drops down so low. They also said I didnt need extended brake hoses but when its in the air they are pulled tight.
glock1926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #32335
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

The brake hoses are very highly recommended with anything 4 inch or bigger. The pitman is not neccesary at all. Im running 6 inches and no drop arm or tcase drop. As long as you have the right setup, they are useless.

Unread 05-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #32336
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Over the past week I put in a new PS pump (the third one. The past two new ones leaked), a new hub bearing and a front passenger half shaft. Turns out I was chewing through hub bearings because the axle nut was loosening slightly over time. The threads on the old stub shaft were basically worn smooth. Got the new shaft in and it should be good.

Put on Sensa-Trac shocks today to replace my aging Reflexes. Took a couple of hours to do on the garage floor with air tools. Whoever decided to put the ABS and all of its lines right in the way of the Driver's Front shock ought to be beaten with the arm of the guy who located the Crankshaft Sensor on these things.

Just a note on the ride quality, seems to be smoother, but firmer, if that makes sense. Haven't gone over any washboard roads yet to see if the bouncing is gone. I think it was starting to chew up my new Destination LE2s.
img_3727.jpg  

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #32337
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
Over the past week I put in a new PS pump (the third one. The past two new ones leaked), a new hub bearing and a front passenger half shaft. Turns out I was chewing through hub bearings because the axle nut was loosening slightly over time. The threads on the old stub shaft were basically worn smooth. Got the new shaft in and it should be good.

Put on Sensa-Trac shocks today to replace my aging Reflexes. Took a couple of hours to do on the garage floor with air tools. Whoever decided to put the ABS and all of its lines right in the way of the Driver's Front shock ought to be beaten with the arm of the guy who located the Crankshaft Sensor on these things.

Just a note on the ride quality, seems to be smoother, but firmer, if that makes sense. Haven't gone over any washboard roads yet to see if the bouncing is gone. I think it was starting to chew up my new Destination LE2s.
That top nut on the driver side shock can be a pain. What I found works really well is either something like the Kobalt or Craftsman pass-through socket set or a ratcheting wrench. You only get a small range of motion with either, but it's better than fighting with it any other way.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #32338
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Did a quick trip up to summit racing to get parts for the green one and the shop managers niner. Made it there in only four hours. Had everything except the M1 intake she had ordered.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #32339
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
That top nut on the driver side shock can be a pain. What I found works really well is either something like the Kobalt or Craftsman pass-through socket set or a ratcheting wrench. You only get a small range of motion with either, but it's better than fighting with it any other way.
PB Blaster and a ratcheting wrench got me through it. Took the intake hose and top of the air box off to get room to work.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #32340
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
That thing was the bane of my existence for the first 8 months of owning my niner. The nut was "gone", so the shock rattled around with every bump. Trying to fit nuts in there was terrible... Anyway, turns out the PO had lost the metal cap that goes between the nut and rubber bushing, and in all of his infinite wisdom, put the nut on without the cap. This and the incredible amount of torque he apparently used to secure the nut made the nut bury itself into the bushing. So when I went to install my Bilstein's, guess what I found? The nut buried in the bushing. Surprise! I lost a little faith in humanity that day.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.