What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2151 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #32251
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I tend to agree, but I haven't yet come up with a mounting solution that doesn't leave the extinguisher blatantly out in the way and a potential projectile itself. Also I'm short, so I don't have much reach in the first place.

?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #32252
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
It was used for pulling things across pavement and from taut, with loads WELL below the weight rating. Most notably, it towed my 240SX home from about a mile away, where it became clear that the previous owner hadn't failed to seat the rings, he'd failed to use the right bearings. I kept it in the Jeep simply so it wouldn't take up space in the garage.

I have an ARB 17,000lb tow strap for offroad use. As yet I have yet to need to even unbundle it.
You should be using a recovery strap, not a tow strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Stupid ****ing intake manifold designed by a ****ing.

Yeh, it's getting there.
Attachment 1335241
That reminds me of when I did mine. I felt pretty good about that job after I accomplished it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #32253
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
If it's rated for 17k, it's probably a recovery strap. Most "tow" straps I see are only rated for a few thousand pounds.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #32254
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Bungee cord works best.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #32255
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
If it all fits, go for it. I just don't know what all you keep down there.
A lot..

image-801354678.jpg

I keep my 54" jack, snatch block, some 3/4" d rings, a 7/8" d ring, 9" drop receiver with ball, 3/4" d ring receiver, a 6' strap and a 20' one, the winch controller, the hi lift bumper lift mate, some gloves and a shovel under my seats. The only thing that sucks is pulling any of it out and having to piece it back together.

And then between the rear seat and the tire (a 33 in the stock location), I've got a wheel chock, a portable jump starter, a tire iron and a first aid kit.

Pack ratting is where it's at.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #32256
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
My Laredo had my tow chain and folding chocks under the seats, with the factory toolkit, and occasionally my 18' jumper cables. But it was cramped as hell even with just that stuff.

The Orvis is getting its amplifier and crossovers under the driver-side rear seat, and keeping the factory toolkit where it goes. I do want to get a fire extinguisher, but I haven't determined where I'll put it just yet. I might put it under the seats, or I might put it in the tire cover's pouch.
I'm partial to mounting it in the rear cargo nook on the passenger side, unless you use that area for something else. I pulled the net material out and have always thought it looked super clean.

image-1314027886.jpg

Ignore the other crap.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #32257
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

That reminds me of when I did mine. I felt pretty good about that job after I accomplished it.
"Tow strap" "Recovery strap" I just can't get past your pedantic semantics. Obviously if it's made by ARB and rated to 17,000lbs it's a recovery strap used for unsticking stuck XJs.

EDIT:

kg6, I wouldn't be able to reach the extinguisher from that position. I am a very short dude.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #32258
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post

I'm partial to mounting it in the rear cargo nook on the passenger side, unless you use that area for something else. I pulled the net material out and have always thought it looked super clean.

Ignore the other crap.
Quick question, where'd you pick up the Mag light mounts?
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #32259
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Amazon bro! They have almost everything.

I prefer to have the fire extinguisher within arms reach. Doesn't do a lot of good if you have to run around to the back while there is a fire to get it. My Maglight is within reach as well in case a skull needs to be re decorated. Pretty sad that's all you have to protect yourself with here because the gun laws suck.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #32260
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I've been planning to add a fire extinguisher to my Jeep, haven't decided on a mounting spot yet. Mag-lite is a 3D slid in between the front of the center console and the bottom of the dash (with a little added padding it fits very nicely and never slides out on its own).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #32261
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Amazon bro! They have almost everything.

I prefer to have the fire extinguisher within arms reach. Doesn't do a lot of good if you have to run around to the back while there is a fire to get it. My Maglight is within reach as well in case a skull needs to be re decorated. Pretty sad that's all you have to protect yourself with here because the gun laws suck.
I thought about that, but then decided that if the jeep were ever on fire, I'm not going to attempt to put the fire out from the drivers seat. If my jeep were on fire, I wouldn't want to be hunched over in the passenger floorboard trying to get to my extinguisher, I would want to be completely outside the jeep, reaching in to get it.

And yes, maglites make good skull massagers. Mine is always close by.

image-822905329.jpg

So is Mr. Ruger, but that's for another thread.
Built not bought #512
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #32262
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31

Amazon or Granger. They make ones for the Mini's too.

image-3626170112.jpg

I believe that the 3 sets of D-cell clips I have cost me somewhere near $6.

They also make f-Ing sweet attachment points for a license plate on a roller fairlead.
Built not bought #512
Unread 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #32263
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
"Tow strap" "Recovery strap" I just can't get past your pedantic semantics.
The only time I let sh*t slide is when I got the runs.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #32264
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Driver seat, gets used all the time.

Schizo, maybe you need to invest in some long arms?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #32265
merc07
1998 ZJ 

today I put in new engine mounts cuz the old ones were falling apart and I threw in a set of fresh plugs, engine mounts are pretty easy replace in the zjs

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.