What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2150 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #32236
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
If it all fits, go for it. I just don't know what all you keep down there.
To be honest I didn't even realize I could put stuff in there until I took my seats out the other day

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #32237
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_zj_laredo View Post

To be honest I didn't even realize I could put stuff in there until I took my seats out the other day
I always had my 1kw Amp back there till I took it out. Now there's a tow chain, 4 way, 12v HF air compressor, safety glasses and more crammed under there.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #32238
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

My Laredo had my tow chain and folding chocks under the seats, with the factory toolkit, and occasionally my 18' jumper cables. But it was cramped as hell even with just that stuff.

The Orvis is getting its amplifier and crossovers under the driver-side rear seat, and keeping the factory toolkit where it goes. I do want to get a fire extinguisher, but I haven't determined where I'll put it just yet. I might put it under the seats, or I might put it in the tire cover's pouch.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #32239
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I've got the factory amp, factory jack, 20' 2ga jumper cables, d-ring hitch insert and a couple other small things under the driver's side rear seat. Pass side has a 1500w power inverter and a tow strap under there.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #32240
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
My Laredo had my tow chain and folding chocks under the seats, with the factory toolkit, and occasionally my 18' jumper cables. But it was cramped as hell even with just that stuff.

The Orvis is getting its amplifier and crossovers under the driver-side rear seat, and keeping the factory toolkit where it goes. I do want to get a fire extinguisher, but I haven't determined where I'll put it just yet. I might put it under the seats, or I might put it in the tire cover's pouch.
Never, ever use a chain.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #32241
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Never, ever use a chain.
Ive sorta wondered how people felt about chains. Now how about using chains to say go betweem front tow hooks in order to have a pull point in the center of the vehicle?
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #32242
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Stupid ****ing intake manifold designed by a ****ing.

Yeh, it's getting there.
manifold-clean.jpg

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #32243
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Never, ever use a chain.
Normally I agree but having a chain and prepping to deal with backlash is better than having nothing at all and being stranded. If done right, it can be prevented, or at least limited sharply, as far as worst case damage and potential injuried.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #32244
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
Ive sorta wondered how people felt about chains. Now how about using chains to say go betweem front tow hooks in order to have a pull point in the center of the vehicle?
I've done plenty of angles pulls using only one front tow hook. With the factory backing plates, they're beefy. You don't need to tie them together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Normally I agree but having a chain and prepping to deal with backlash is better than having nothing at all and being stranded. If done right, it can be prevented, or at least limited sharply, as far as worst case damage and potential injuried.
Realistically, you think he ever used it properly?
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #32245
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Never, ever use a chain.
It was used for pulling things across pavement and from taut, with loads WELL below the weight rating. Most notably, it towed my 240SX home from about a mile away, where it became clear that the previous owner hadn't failed to seat the rings, he'd failed to use the right bearings. I kept it in the Jeep simply so it wouldn't take up space in the garage.

I have an ARB 17,000lb tow strap for offroad use. As yet I have yet to need to even unbundle it.

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #32246
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

My philosophy on fire extinguishers is that if you can't reach it from the drivers seat you may as well not even have it.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #32247
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Finally checked and changed my transfer case fluid...it was a dull brown/orange color and smelled faintly like axle grease. Anybody know what dex/merc fluid looks/smells like? supposedly the fluid was changed a year ago but it was by a shop...I just put ATF+4 in.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #32248
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Ok, I'm totally lost when it comes to spark plugs.

I'm putting in new champions that everyone recommends and they're gapped per the fsm to .035. I pulled out the old plugs, which are not that old, NGK (my mechanics brand) gapped to .045.

Does the different brand make the difference in gap? How would that affect my engine?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #32249
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

It shouldnt matter between brands. It should be gapped at what the fsm says otherwise it can cause misfires and rough idle. The only time yoh should change the gap is if you are building an engine and you are testing different plugs, gaps, and heat ranges

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #32250
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
My philosophy on fire extinguishers is that if you can't reach it from the drivers seat you may as well not even have it.
I tend to agree, but I haven't yet come up with a mounting solution that doesn't leave the extinguisher blatantly out in the way and a potential projectile itself. Also I'm short, so I don't have much reach in the first place.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.