What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2146 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #32176
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, I thought about the mopar chrome bolt pack when I ordered the covers from summit, but I can't stand chrome.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #32177
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yesterday I ordered 2 RE adjustable front track bars, one for each ZJ.
Also ordered RE adjustable front upper control arms for my ZJ.
Along with another $1,000 worth of goodies for the YJ!
7~14 days for delivery is going to feel like an eternity.
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #32178
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Just putting it out there.. If you are looking at performance parts, have you done much digging into MSD's parts? They're specifically designed for high performance and high compression motors. It seems that might at least break even on costs if not be a fair chunk cheaper than multiple coil packs and will for sure be a performance upgrade. Just figured it might be along what you are talking about wanting.
The engine I'm working with is a CA18DET 1.8l DOHC turbocharged 4-cylinder, with 4 separate coil packs.

It looks like this:

I really like how clean that looks, what with that coil cover. I've been looking mostly into beefier coil setups that work with this application, rather than deal with MSD standalone ignition and throwing a bunch of spark plug wires in there. Actually, I'm not a big fan of standalone systems. I very much prefer integrated EFI, ignition, and other powertrain management.

The current winner is either a GM-based setup (cheap, but requires wires and does that nasty two-cylinder-at-a-time spark thing) or an Audi setup which may be too tall for that cover. Either way I'm looking to reflash the stock ECU via Nistune in order to handle the engine management in an integrated system. This should meet my goals. If not, it's a simple situation to move from the Nissan EM to Megasquirt management.

Given my power goal (300whp) it may not be necessary to move up to hotter coils, assuming I shore the gap up a bit. However, a wider gap is definitely desirable, and coil packs for this engine are relatively hard to find, compared to other setups.

In any case, I am looking at different spark plugs with different heat ranges to find a combination with good performance.

Of course, all of this comes after fixing the Jeep. Gotta get this axle rebuilt, and my sound system finished before I can work on the 240.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #32179
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

[QUOTE=ejschultz;22701057]lol. Gotcha. It could actually be the speaker dying. If the impedance of the speaker is on the rise, it'll be not as loud as the other speakers. Is it just one speaker or is it both left speakers?

My left front and left rear speaker are very low in volume.
I didn't get a chance to look through the PO butcher job of splices yet but will do soon.
I'm hoping I find something because the Kenwood Radio in the dash is $169.99 new retail
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IJiVdxK...DC-BT645U.html
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #32180
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

[quote=joe19934;22747225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
lol. Gotcha. It could actually be the speaker dying. If the impedance of the speaker is on the rise, it'll be not as loud as the other speakers. Is it just one speaker or is it both left speakers?

My left front and left rear speaker are very low in volume.
I didn't get a chance to look through the PO butcher job of splices yet but will do soon.
I'm hoping I find something because the Kenwood Radio in the dash is $169.99 new retail
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IJiVdxK...DC-BT645U.html
That one is discontinued

This one isn't though. Kenwood KDC-BT558U
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #32181
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Ordered a set of bilstein shocks and rear adjustable upper and lower control arms from kolak, a "new" glove box, new headlights to replace the new headlights I broke haha and something else off eBay but I forgot haha

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #32182
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you have a nice build going on, Schizo. Very clean too! Unfortunately I know jack about those nissan motors outside of the basics haha, but I agree. For that, it would be better to try to go with the factory style vs an independent one. Good luck on the hunting
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #32183
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Sounds like you have a nice build going on, Schizo. Very clean too! Unfortunately I know jack about those nissan motors outside of the basics haha, but I agree. For that, it would be better to try to go with the factory style vs an independent one. Good luck on the hunting
Unfortunately that's not my build, but a stock 200SX from Germany. With that said, if I have my way my build will be that clean.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for ignition. A lot of dealing with imports is easier than upgrading Jeeps, especially ZJs. But this isn't. It's one of those challenges that exemplifies why I love tuning. I can't buy it, I have to build it. (Even if the engine does bolt in because it was the stock motor in some markets) If I was satisfied with that engine stock, I'd be happy with what I have now. 167hp over 155hp isn't huge, and the KA24DE has a lot more torque, stock.

Of course, it's a lot easier to turn 7psi into 17psi than it is to turn 0psi into 7psi. And that little 1.8 will take 400hp without reinforcement. Plus it's fully 100lbs less, plumbed and wet, than the engine I have is, dry and bare. Very tempting characteristics.

Getting the same kind of gains out of a ZJ is harder, it seems. I wonder if it would be practical to get 400lbft from a 5.2l ZJ.

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #32184
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Unfortunately that's not my build, but a stock 200SX from Germany. With that said, if I have my way my build will be that clean

Getting the same kind of gains out of a ZJ is harder, it seems. I wonder if it would be practical to get 400lbft from a 5.2l ZJ.
If you're stubborn enough, you will find a way to get it lol!

You theoretically should be able to run an N2O line right to the fuel rail and gain up to 80 horsepower but that's pushing the motor to its brink AFAIK. Add on a turbo kit and fogger plate for NOS and you /might/ be able to push it to 400-425 but that's gonna be some broken push rods, rockers, etc at best, I'd bet. The base is around 230hp right? Mobile sucks big ones for searching that kind of stuff lol
Might just be easier to throw a more modern powertrain into it if you want anything above a turbo'd 5.9er. Disclaimer, I'm deep in rum and severe lack of sleep atm
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #32185
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The problem is just how delicate those innards are. This motor can't handle any increase in cylinder pressure for any reason. It's stout as hell when stock and it'll last as long as you'll drive it like that, but it'll pop as soon as you say the words "boost" or "increased compression".

Tuner logic suggests that extracting an extra 30% torque is fairly simple, even NA. You just increase cylinder compression a twinge, make the cam a bit hotter, and inject more fuel. 300 to 400ftlbs from a 5.2l V8 should be easy. But we all know it isn't.

It's a sad day for the displacement junkies when a boosted stock-internal 1.8l 4-banger can make more power and torque than a 5.2l V8 before it blows. Displacement isn't the solution to power and torque, clever engineering is. And the cast internals of the Magnum V8 are just no good for increasing the power. Not like the fully-forged internals of that Nissan engine that everyone in the Nissan community overlooks. That delicious <200lb engine with its square bore/stroke and 9000rpm capacity.

Excuse me boys, I need to take care of something.

Unread 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #32186
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
The problem is just how delicate those innards are. This motor can't handle any increase in cylinder pressure for any reason. It's stout as hell when stock and it'll last as long as you'll drive it like that, but it'll pop as soon as you say the words "boost" or "increased compression".

Tuner logic suggests that extracting an extra 30% torque is fairly simple, even NA. You just increase cylinder compression a twinge, make the cam a bit hotter, and inject more fuel. 300 to 400ftlbs from a 5.2l V8 should be easy. But we all know it isn't.

It's a sad day for the displacement junkies when a boosted stock-internal 1.8l 4-banger can make more power and torque than a 5.2l V8 before it blows. Displacement isn't the solution to power and torque, clever engineering is. And the cast internals of the Magnum V8 are just no good for increasing the power. Not like the fully-forged internals of that Nissan engine that everyone in the Nissan community overlooks. That delicious <200lb engine with its square bore/stroke and 9000rpm capacity.

Excuse me boys, I need to take care of something.
There are plenty of L4s that won't handle boost just like there are V8s that can't handle it. Take that clever engineering and apply it to a V8 that can actually handle it. My cousin just sold his 02 Camaro. It was running mid 9s with a blown LS1.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #32187
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Durango air hat? That's cute.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
you can have the extra heated intake air and the trouble that comes with it
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:34 AM   #32188
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

today i welded up a resonator to the exhaust

sounds stock again but without the bellowing turbo muffler and locked up clutchfan semi truck noise
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #32189
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

A stock 5.2 or 5.9 with good head gaskets and upgraded head bolts will be good for around 400 - 500 hp at the crank under boost with a good tune (you'll generally see less NA before something goes, as you'll have to rev it higher to make that kind of power). Beyond that, pistons are usually the first to go. The cranks are good to 600 - 700 hp, rods are good to somewhere around there as well (stock rods are forged I-beams).

Out of curiosity Schizo, why the CA18 rather than an SR20? Just want to be different?
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #32190
SBiscardi
1996 ZJ 

He probably wanted to be different that's like I didn't want to deal with the qr25 in my spec v so I did a vq35de swap and it made for a nasty little car
SBiscardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.