What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2135 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #32011
1995blackzj

I need an answer what thread size are the clutch fan studs to the water pump on the Jeep 4 litre? I need them nobody has them not even pickapart

1995blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #32012
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Put a steering wheel cover on it and 2 new lug nuts on the passenger side front wheel. Later tonight or tomorrow I will properly torque every lug nut.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #32013
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I'm thinking of selling the ZJ... What do you think it's worth with the mods in my signature? 220k miles and cosmetically it's nothing special at all and has many battle scars. However mechanically it's very solid, great oil pressure, transmission recently was serviced and the cooler was upgraded, tires are like new, steering gearbox was replaced, new brakes front and rear, and a fresh tune up. The mods were about $1800 and around $500 in tires and all of this stuff was replaced in the last 3000 miles (because it's been sitting over 75% of the time since they were installed)

The only reason I'm thinking of selling it is because I don't use it enough and I want to build this monster to daily drive hehe

Only instead of a 1000cc bike engine I'm thinking 2.8l V6 with 210 ft lbs of torque... lol.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #32014
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Bad day at the yard for grands, only had two, a pre 96 and a 96+ 4.0 2wd.

But I found a V70 volvo with all the fixings for the efan across from a 525i bmw with the sensor.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #32015
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Bad day at the yard for grands, only had two, a pre 96 and a 96+ 4.0 2wd.

But I found a V70 volvo with all the fixings for the efan across from a 525i bmw with the sensor.
last two times I went to the yard, there was only one zj on the second run. Couldn't quite tell what year tho, it was stripped and gutted too badly
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #32016
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

There's usually 5 or 6 at the yards around here, but they turn around fast. I've gotten pretty good at identifying them.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #32017
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Well finally got a reason to put a new head unit in it. The cassette reader doesnt read so good anymore. And no i dont listen to cassettes i have an adapter for my ipod lol. Thats what my dad and people at work all asked me.
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #32018
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
Well finally got a reason to put a new head unit in it. The cassette reader doesnt read so good anymore. And no i dont listen to cassettes i have an adapter for my ipod lol. Thats what my dad and people at work all asked me.
My cassette player worked great in mine as well as the cd player and radio. The only reason i took mine out was because my display kept fading in and out and i got tired of not being able to see it.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #32019
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

I installed a Spartan Locker in my D30 today. I found it brand new on CL for $180, so I had to pick it up . It was super easy install (under 2 hours), and it works like a champ (I pulled myself out of a deep ditch with no sweat. I never could make it through before).
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #32020
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I'm thinking of selling the ZJ... What do you think it's worth with the mods in my signature? 220k miles and cosmetically it's nothing special at all and has many battle scars. However mechanically it's very solid, great oil pressure, transmission recently was serviced and the cooler was upgraded, tires are like new, steering gearbox was replaced, new brakes front and rear, and a fresh tune up. The mods were about $1800 and around $500 in tires and all of this stuff was replaced in the last 3000 miles (because it's been sitting over 75% of the time since they were installed)
I'll give you $7.32 and this pocket lint that looks like Mother Theresa if you squint very hard.

Also, all of you with cassette adapters are missing out. Bluetooth stereo is so much better, you would not believe. The quality is superb, and the convenience of not having to plug some stupid thing in and have wires everywhere is beautiful.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #32021
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995blackzj View Post
I need an answer what thread size are the clutch fan studs to the water pump on the Jeep 4 litre? I need them nobody has them not even pickapart
If you're talking about the stud that comes off the water pump for the clutch to mount to, it's an M30 x 1.5. At least that's what it is on the V8s. I don't know if the 4.0 uses the same clutch as the V8s. The V8 uses a standard thread. IIRC, the 4.0 is a reverse thread. You're not going to find a nut for that. I had to special order the M30 x 1.5 at Fastenal for mine. It's also completely pointless to have it on there. It was a waste of $13 for me. Although, when I went back to a mechanical fan, I pulled the nut off and my threads were clean. It may have been worth the $13 to not have to clean off the threads before installing the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Also, all of you with cassette adapters are missing out. Bluetooth stereo is so much better, you would not believe. The quality is superb, and the convenience of not having to plug some stupid thing in and have wires everywhere is beautiful.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... Bluetooth is a lot better than a cassette adapter for overall sound quality. However, high end cassette decks (not what originally came in our ZJs) are regarded as some of the best SQ decks ever made. Cassettes store audio in analog. iPods, CDs, other MP3 players, your phones, etc all store audio in a digital format. Most decks use a 1 bit DAC. Sound quality is compromised. Some higher end decks use a 24 bit DAC. That greatly helps reduce the DAC's bit depth and jitter, while increasing its amplitude and clock accuracy. It still isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot better. Some decks used regulated 1 bit DACs which perform similarly to a 24 bit DAC but are slightly noisier. Lastly, some decks have a 24 bit DAC per network. The deck in my car utilizes 3 24 bit DACs: one for the lowpass network, one for the bandpass network, and one for the highpass network. A setup like that is the best you're going to find in modern car audio. Back to where I was going... Hardwired or actually putting a CD or cassette into a good deck is the only way to get really good sound quality out of your system. Then again, SQ is all subjective anyhow.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #32022
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... Bluetooth is a lot better than a cassette adapter for overall sound quality. However, high end cassette decks (not what originally came in our ZJs) are regarded as some of the best SQ decks ever made. Cassettes store audio in analog. iPods, CDs, other MP3 players, your phones, etc all store audio in a digital format. Most decks use a 1 bit DAC. Sound quality is compromised. Some higher end decks use a 24 bit DAC. That greatly helps reduce the DAC's bit depth and jitter, while increasing its amplitude and clock accuracy. It still isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot better. Some decks used regulated 1 bit DACs which perform similarly to a 24 bit DAC but are slightly noisier. Lastly, some decks have a 24 bit DAC per network. The deck in my car utilizes 3 24 bit DACs: one for the lowpass network, one for the bandpass network, and one for the highpass network. A setup like that is the best you're going to find in modern car audio. Back to where I was going... Hardwired or actually putting a CD or cassette into a good deck is the only way to get really good sound quality out of your system. Then again, SQ is all subjective anyhow.
You're right, but in a car, it's rarely a quiet enough / perfect enough listening environment for that last little bit to be noticeable, even with good speakers, good ears and good source material.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #32023
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

you can't compare DACs just on the bit number a 1-bit DAC can sound just as good if not better than a 24bit DAC it's all about the quality of the DAC in question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-bit_DAC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #32024
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
You're right, but in a car, it's rarely a quiet enough / perfect enough listening environment for that last little bit to be noticeable, even with good speakers, good ears and good source material.
The convenience of BT makes up for the sound quality. Hands free calling and texting is really nice. So is hopping in the car and having Pandora play without the phone ever leaving my pocket. You can tell you're not in a studio, but I usually have the windows down and the music up so it never bothers me. Besides, I'd say the speakers are the sound quality limiting factor in 99% of ZJs. Anything sounds bad through blown dash tweeters.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #32025
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is it really worth debating with him after a quote like this anyways? I agree, those tweeters suck. I pulled them out right after I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
QuadraDrive can send 100% of the power to 1 wheel if necessary. I like that. I like it more than I like lockers.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.