What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #31516
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Rolled over 245,000 miles, and put on my new-old JF sticker. Took some pics to celebrate the occasion.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #31517
takethisride
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I ordered a Mopar fan shroud last night and an Omix-Ada HD fan clutch today. I'm going back to stock. My setup was solid wiring wise and control wise, after I gave up on Hayden. My fan was a brand new aftermarket TYC fan for the 3.8L Taurus. I don't want to be going through fans like crazy with this thing. I need it to be reliable. I've built everything else on it to survive wheeling (knock on wood, so far it's all held up great). The last two times I had issues wheeling was because my fan stopped working. One time I caught it just in time when my coolant overflow started pissing coolant on the trail. That was the first time I had to "hit start" the fan. The other time was yesterday when it started giving me more issues. After it completely shut down on the way home, I talked with my wife and she agrees with me that it's been more of a headache than anything since I've installed it. If I didn't originally have all the issues with the Hayden controller before I switched to the Derale controller, I'd probably be more apt to trying out another electric fan setup.
I dont blame you, man. I keep an extra WJ fan in the back just in case. I bought 3 at $10 a pop from the pull-a-part. I made a quick disconnect plug and so I can just pop one out and pop a new one in quickly.
96 ZJ 5.2L 4x4, 4.5" Lift, NP231 swap, Beefed Custom Cline front DS, 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15x10 RCX wheels, JKS front and Rear track-bars, Flowmaster 40series, Cobra CB radio, Optima Yellow Top, Snorkel, Rough Country winch mount, Super Winch TS9500, cut fenders, Red Jeep Club #572, Built Not Bought #279
takethisride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #31518
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Yeah. I got a quick disconnect plug for the Taurus fan as well. I just think the mechanical will be easier, with the exception of belt changes. Lol. My wife drives my ZJ in the winter sometimes. She also takes it out occasionally in the summer when she thinks her Terrain is acting up. The fan always kind of deters her from driving it. If she doesn't have to switch anything, she doesn't have to worry about it. And to be honest, I'm paranoid now driving it after my last Hayden died on me. I'm always checking to make sure it's coming on. I'll watch for slight voltage drops and check the temp more than necessary while driving (not that that's a bad thing). I just want to enjoy the drive more instead of being paranoid of an aftermarket electronic that may fail at any point, apparently.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #31519
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Ive got a taurus efan on mine with a 40 amp relay wired to a switch down by my right leg and the only thing i have had to do is change a switch before i got my relay wired up. Ive never had an issue with the low or high speed of it.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #31520
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Ive got a taurus efan on mine with a 40 amp relay wired to a switch down by my right leg and the only thing i have had to do is change a switch before i got my relay wired up. Ive never had an issue with the low or high speed of it.

I have a 40 amp relay controlled by a Derale fan controller (30 amp relay on board that but the fan controller closes a ground circuit which won't work with a 2 speed fan if you want to use both speeds), and I have a 70 amp relay for the high speed. Other than the e-fan crapping out, I've never had a problem with the high speed. All of my other issues were with the fan killing the Hayden controllers. The relay didn't die, something inside the sealed unit of the controller died. I wanted the low speed to be automatic, and it was until I started having issues. The high was only for when it was needed, which proved to be a couple times when the fan was crapping out. I wonder if my fan was bad from the get-go and caused the Hayden to die on me. I could see that happening. Now I'm thinking about it. Regardless, mechanical it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
And this is a B.A. picture.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #31521
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Pulled the engine out of my buddy's '95 so we can pick up the new one Friday
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #31522
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

[QUOTE="ejschultz;21942865"]

I have a 40 amp relay controlled by a Derale fan controller (30 amp relay on board that but the fan controller closes a ground circuit which won't work with a 2 speed fan if you want to use both speeds), and I have a 70 amp relay for the high speed. Other than the e-fan crapping out, I've never had a problem with the high speed. All of my other issues were with the fan killing the Hayden controllers. The relay didn't die, something inside the sealed unit of the controller died. I wanted the low speed to be automatic, and it was until I started having issues. The high was only for when it was needed, which proved to be a couple times when the fan was crapping out. I wonder if my fan was bad from the get-go and caused the Hayden to die on me. I could see that happening. Now I'm thinking about it. Regardless, mechanical it is.

Thats why i didnt go with a controller on mine. Ive had bad luck with them going out on people where i used to work for advance auto and they would bring them back. The relay straight to the switch is a lot easier to deal with. Worse case the switch goes bad and the fan stays on or the relay goes ot. Either way $5 fixes it.

Unread 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #31523
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Left it sitting at the dealer where I bought this so I could take it home to the wife.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #31524
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Finished up my rear speaker install. Sounds much better now. Now I need to replace the fronts. Seriously considering waiting on that until I get a sub. Don't want to have to rewire my setup twice.

Old:

New:

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #31525
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post

Left it sitting at the dealer where I bought this so I could take it home to the wife.
They have a sealed transmission that is dealer service only though. Not very easy to work on but they are a lot more comfortable. My buddy in Vegas got one from a family member. It's a V6 full time. He put a 2" BB on it with 33's and takes it out on the old mining trails looking for new mines to repel down into.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #31526
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
I just replaced all of the tie rods and drag link 2 days ago so nothing is wore. The gear box is nice and tight still yet. Nothing is binding up anywhere. If i take my drag link off the pitman arm i have almost 2 full turns either way but as soon as i hook it back up i lose my turning radius. Im thinking i might be able to take the tie rod off of the drag link and adjust it so that it pushes the pitman arm to the drivers side then readjust my tie rod back to the drag link for my alignment.

Don't mess with the pitman arm if you've never taken it off, it ain't the problem.

You need to adjust your drag link
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #31527
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Made an exhaust silencer insert for my 3" Kolak exhaust. Idaho State Troopers think it is too loud, even with a 22" magnaflow case, cat, and tail pipe. EVEN THOUGH I RAN A TURN DOWN ON OFF MY 14" MAGNAFLOW CASE FOR 5+ YEARS!!! PM me if your interested in how I made it.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #31528
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
They have a sealed transmission that is dealer service only though. Not very easy to work on but they are a lot more comfortable. My buddy in Vegas got one from a family member. It's a V6 full time. He put a 2" BB on it with 33's and takes it out on the old mining trails looking for new mines to repel down into.
She wanted a seven passenger Jeep so that made the decision easy. She also wanted something not white, brown leather, and a hemi. This one covers all the bases.
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #31529
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Who works on their own XK? Lol
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #31530
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post

Who works on their own XK? Lol
Hardly anyone on this forum I've noticed lol. I'll have to change that. Hopefully I won't have to for a while though.

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.