What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2092 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #31366
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Good looking rig. But I might be a little biased towards it lol

txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #31367
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
Looks like I'm going the IRO route. It's all I'd ever want for this. And I've always wanted a jeep. XJ feels too cheap, any of the C/Y/T J's have no room and yeah. Could have bought a WJ, but I don't like some of their "brilliant" engineering. ZJ is the perfect Jeep in my opinion. If only they had manual V8s.

Oh uh..yeah. anyway:
-IRO upper and lower front and rear adjustable arms.
-rear adj track bar
-IRO shocks with 5" lift as the selected option
-3.5" front springs
-V8 springs front to rear
-1.5" BB front/rear
- might have to extend some bump stops
-getting some Chevy truck brake lines
-may need to replace the stabilizer. It has an RC on it already though... we'll see.

Hoping it should give me enough room to elimate the need for cutting aside from the bumper(s) and the pinch seam if necessary. Also hoping I can get the pinion angles perfect so I don't feel so nervous about the CV front driveshaft being an issue.

Grabbed one of the 255/85r16's today... that's quite the goal when I have 28's on it now. Lol.

(255/85r16)
I hate to break it to ya but with that much lift, it's more a matter of when the front axle cv decides to give rather than if.. Hopefully the rest goes easy for ya! You should start a build log so we can follow along as you mod it out
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #31368
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post

I hate to break it to ya but with that much lift, it's more a matter of when the front axle cv decides to give rather than if.. Hopefully the rest goes easy for ya! You should start a build log so we can follow along as you mod it out
Thanks. Yeah I really should just do that... eventually.

CV driveshaft or CV axles? Ujoint conversion is somewhere in the next things to do. The front diff is howling (almost nearly stopped back when I had the front shaft off) so...yeah. I dunno.

I am now entering week three on expired temp tags... and no title yet. Come on guys...
mikebontoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #31369
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Left it sitting in the sudden snow / ice / sleet / slush storm that came up today, as I already pulled the snow tires off and threw the summer street tires back on (not even my A/Ts). Trying to drive it would be just dumb, sliding around like a hockey puck with no grip isn't much fun, so I'm stuck at home until the weather clears up tomorrow and the roads are cleaned up.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #31370
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I really should just do that... eventually.

CV driveshaft or CV axles? Ujoint conversion is somewhere in the next things to do. The front diff is howling (almost nearly stopped back when I had the front shaft off) so...yeah. I dunno.

I am now entering week three on expired temp tags... and no title yet. Come on guys...
Lift doesn't affect the axle CVs. It does affect the driveshaft CV though. They're known for grenading when you lift and put extra stress on them. That's what you'll want to change.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #31371
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Picking up a water pump today. Any negative experiences with ToughOne from Advance? It's a new unit, not reman'd. It's less than $50 with coupon code.
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #31372
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytek View Post
Picking up a water pump today. Any negative experiences with ToughOne from Advance? It's a new unit, not reman'd. It's less than $50 with coupon code.
Ive got a toughone on my 5.2 and my friend has a toughone on his 5.9 ram without any problems plus the lifetime warranty is pretty nice.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #31373
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

Ive got a toughone on my 5.2 and my friend has a toughone on his 5.9 ram without any problems plus the lifetime warranty is pretty nice.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Cool thanks
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #31374
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

I find it funny that it seems most of us are on The Facebook page...

Ugh FML. I hit a hard bump the other day and the VIC started giving me the coolant sensor message again. Already soldered that damn thing.
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #31375
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Replaced my non existent door buzzer now my power doors finally work for the first time since I've owned it
93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #31376
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I find it funny that it seems most of us are on The Facebook page...

Ugh FML. I hit a hard bump the other day and the VIC started giving me the coolant sensor message again. Already soldered that damn thing.
Which fb page are you referring to exactly?
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #31377
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Washed it. In the process the cap on the passenger running board fell off, so I went and fixed that too. Studying this design, it should be pretty easy to remove for wheeling days.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #31378
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVASS View Post

Which fb page are you referring to exactly?
The only active 5.9 zj page...
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #31379
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Lift doesn't affect the axle CVs. It does affect the driveshaft CV though. They're known for grenading when you lift and put extra stress on them. That's what you'll want to change.
That's what i meant thanks ej, i shouldn't post when overly tired anymore haha. The driveshaft cv will separate/break the first time you flex out and it pulls hard on it.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #31380
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post

That's what i meant thanks ej, i shouldn't post when overly tired anymore haha. The driveshaft cv will separate/break the first time you flex out and it pulls hard on it.
I figured that's what you meant, but wasn't sure if there was some magical angle I wasn't aware of in the CV shafts lol.

Well I understand why it's gonna break. Hopefully I can find the parts real quick and make the swap one night after work. I now have three weekends to get it done.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.