What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2088 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #31306
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Any one ever use that new zMax stuff for transmissions?
Saw a commercial today for it, says it improves shifting with use, and mine isn't the strongest tranny either, PO towed a 6k lb boat, with OD on...a lot too

Here's a link too, i would also do this when i drop the pan then fill back up add this.
2nd on on list.
http://www.zmax.com/why/how_to/

95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #31307
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Put washer fluid in it, I'm pretty much the best mechanic in the world haha
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #31308
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_zj_laredo View Post
Put washer fluid in it, I'm pretty much the best mechanic in the world haha
I shall kneel before you, oh master mechanic! I am not worthy!

Ugh... hmm. Don't really feel comfortable dropping $1k on lift components... but that Bill Me Later. Hmm.

OK well if anyone see's this, are the RC lower control arms that come with the 3.5" kit longer than stock? I thought I read they weren't for some reason. And the shocks... can they accommodate 5" lift?

I wanted to order that, an adjustable rear TB and upper adjustable arms f/r. Just want it to fit skinny 33's and be able to wheel.
mikebontoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #31309
ferretman
1995 ZJ 

Well I managed to change my oil ( or my sludge ). Just got the zj last December and just now getting the fluids changed.
I did have a few problems with doing the oil change and the first one was a real pain but short lived and that was because the drain plug was on real tight ended up putting the ratchet on it and used my jack to push to get it loose. The other problem is the filter was almost as bad all I could do to barely move it the first 1/2 turn then it was fine. The oil that came out was almost a thick black sludge that I thought about using as an under coating but thought that would not be to environmentally friendly and still have to grab one more bottle to to of the oil before I drive it then keep a close eye on it . Never seen oil that bad before! Don't know when it was done last but it does have over 300000 km on it
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #31310
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

I found a hole in my unibody frame rail... Or whatever you wanna call it... But it looks structural and important... Probably need to patch it but I'll let myself forget about for now
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #31311
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Bought a Texas OHV sticker for it. Now I can go offroading in Texas state OHV parks.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #31312
loodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
235k here its in miles I think that's double yours?

:0

i'll let you know when i reach that. but i'll prolly have to change the spark plugs till then. as for the rest, still all original parts. (except the lift and some aftermarket engine parts)
loodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #31313
wkbear
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post

Try checking the heater hose that runs along the passenger side around the valve cover. My buddy's had a small leak from that one that took us about a month to track down
Thanks. I'll check that. It does appear that they did some work on the hoses from what I remember without looking at it. I think they spliced it in the middle of the one you're talking about. Could be it.

Sent from...wait, where am I?
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #31314
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbear View Post
Thanks. I'll check that. It does appear that they did some work on the hoses from what I remember without looking at it. I think they spliced it in the middle of the one you're talking about. Could be it.

Sent from...wait, where am I?
The splice in the heater hose on the pass side of a V8 ZJ is actually a factory splice. Not sure why it's there, but they all came that way. One of the clamps may be weak though (especially if it's a factory spring clamp, they do wear out eventually).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #31315
Mjczj
1997 ZJ 

Bought 97 ZJ 4.0 170K miles

In the last week:

Fixed stall. Cleaned PCM contacts and applied Di electric grease.
Fixed dome light on all the time. Replaced drivers contact switch
New battery
Changed all Fluids
Flushed radiator
Spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires.
New brakes. Pads, rotors, flushed system
New Monroematic gas shocks. $12 at Rock auto (Transformed the ride)
New rear struts.
New tires, lug nuts
New drivers seat from salvage yard.
Painted hood and roof.

Next up:
Fix leak at top of gas tank.
Differential bearings
Mjczj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #31316
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Front end feels better with the new axle side bushings but it still wanders. Now that all the control arms are good I've narrowed the wander down to the rear and feel it's because I can't adjust the track bar anymore(it's all the way in). Almost feels like 4 wheel steering slightly when turning left. Only adjustment I did on the arms was adjust the rear pinion angle. Starting to wish I didn't throw away my stock rear track bar so I could throw it on and confirm my suspicions. I have Energy Suspension isolators/.75 spacers to still put in, maybe that'll give me just enough that the rear bar is useful and finally center the axle.

Sorry for the long post just thinking out loud lol..
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #31317
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytek View Post
Front end feels better with the new axle side bushings but it still wanders. Now that all the control arms are good I've narrowed the wander down to the rear and feel it's because I can't adjust the track bar anymore(it's all the way in). Almost feels like 4 wheel steering slightly when turning left. Only adjustment I did on the arms was adjust the rear pinion angle. Starting to wish I didn't throw away my stock rear track bar so I could throw it on and confirm my suspicions. I have Energy Suspension isolators/.75 spacers to still put in, maybe that'll give me just enough that the rear bar is useful and finally center the axle.

Mine used to wander until I did all control arm bushings, addco sways front and rear, PSC steering gear, tie rod ends, and IRO double sheer. Now it's super straight and corners like a fat car.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #31318
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

If you have a decent bit of body roll, a lifted ZJ will have somewhat of a passive 4 wheel steer due to the rear suspension geometry. As the body rolls in a turn, the rear end will be steered slightly towards the outside of the turn.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #31319
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Mine used to wander until I did all control arm bushings, addco sways front and rear, PSC steering gear, tie rod ends, and IRO double sheer. Now it's super straight and corners like a fat car.
I have the full IRO 3.5 lift with all adjustable short arms and track bars. Just did the front axle side control arm bushings yesterday so all arms have less than 500 miles on them now. TRE's are good but the steering gear box is a little loose. Addco rear bar is on the top of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

If you have a decent bit of body roll, a lifted ZJ will have somewhat of a passive 4 wheel steer due to the rear suspension geometry. As the body rolls in a turn, the rear end will be steered slightly towards the outside of the turn.
Hmm maybe it's handling like it should then. I'm just so used to it when it was only a 2" bb lol.
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #31320
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I have the full IRO 3.5 lift with all adjustable short arms and track bars. Just did the front axle side control arm bushings yesterday so all arms have less than 500 miles on them now. TRE's are good but the steering gear box is a little loose. Addco rear bar is on the top of my list.

Hmm maybe it's handling like it should then. I'm just so used to it when it was only a 2" bb lol.
Do you have good shocks?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.