What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2038 - JeepForum.com

 107Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #30556 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
My heater core is leaking, if I bypass the heater core, until I have time to fix it, will I run into any problems? Other then not having heat?
You should be fine as long as you bleed it properly.

Speaking of heater cores... My ZJ and another client's 1500 sounds like water rushing through the core (probably cause it is). Any ideas why? I haven't even looked it up but I just saw this and thought I'd ask.

mikebontoft is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30557 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
My heater core is leaking, if I bypass the heater core, until I have time to fix it, will I run into any problems? Other then not having heat?
No you wont have any problems bypassing the core. Make sure you try to get the coolant out of your core if you can so it doesnt try to slosh around and leak on the starter or run down into your floorboard.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #30558 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post

You should be fine as long as you bleed it properly.

Speaking of heater cores... My ZJ and another client's 1500 sounds like water rushing through the core (probably cause it is). Any ideas why? I haven't even looked it up but I just saw this and thought I'd ask.
If it only does it when you first start it then it might be low on antifreeze or its stopped up.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #30559 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Syncityj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Henderson
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post

You should be fine as long as you bleed it properly.
.
What's the proper way to bleed the system.
Syncityj is offline  
post #30560 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

If it only does it when you first start it then it might be low on antifreeze or its stopped up.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Only at startup for me... yes I have a coolant leak. BUT, for the Ram the cooling system is definitely full and properly bled because I use one of those Airlift systems that sucks down the cooling system and then uses that vacuum to fill it with coolant. It does it whenever accelerating though on this one. Happened after a heater hose replacement.
mikebontoft is offline  
post #30561 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post

What's the proper way to bleed the system.
Airlift or similar is the best... but realistically fill the system, keep the cap off and let it idle till it gets rid of the air bubbles.
mikebontoft is offline  
post #30562 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post

What's the proper way to bleed the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post

Only at startup for me... yes I have a coolant leak. BUT, for the Ram the cooling system is definitely full and properly bled because I use one of those Airlift systems that sucks down the cooling system and then uses that vacuum to fill it with coolant. It does it whenever accelerating though on this one. Happened after a heater hose replacement.
Airlift is the best way to bleed it but if you dont have one then pull the front up on ramps fill the system up and let it run til the bubbles are gone.


As for the ram it sounds like its getting stopped up or theres air in the system after the hose replacement

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #30563 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

Airlift is the best way to bleed it but if you dont have one then pull the front up on ramps fill the system up and let it run til the bubbles are gone.

As for the ram it sounds like its getting stopped up or theres air in the system after the hose replacement

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Yup you want the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system.

I bet it's getting plugged then. I just did the timing chain on it (new set of chain and gears was only $58!) So this was after the heater hose replacement...

OH! I know what it is! I saw traces of stop leak on the radiator cap. Ah... nice.
mikebontoft is offline  
post #30564 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post

Yup you want the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system.

I bet it's getting plugged then. I just did the timing chain on it (new set of chain and gears was only $58!) So this was after the heater hose replacement...

OH! I know what it is! I saw traces of stop leak on the radiator cap. Ah... nice.
Stop leak will definately do it. Get some white vinegar and pour it in and run it for a few minutes with the heat on high then drain the system then take the heater hose loose from the tee for flushing the system and flush it from the radiator through the system until you get clean water coming out of the heater core. Then take the other heater hose off and flush the core from the tee side to the pump side for backflushing. Put everything back together and you should be good to go.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #30565 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 PM
inkspot88
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 96
This is what level I'm at today

Name:  IMG_13099815448482.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  50.7 KB
inkspot88 is offline  
post #30566 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot88 View Post
This is what level I'm at today
Whoa dude. You're serious!
mikebontoft is offline  
post #30567 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 PM
CGlaser
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Columbus
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot88 View Post
This is what level I'm at today
Dude. I totally did that today as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-zj-slow-build-1484672/
CGlaser is offline  
post #30568 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM
inkspot88
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGlaser View Post

Dude. I totally did that today as well.
I actually did a new filter a while ago. Just seen a much more built zj today looked like 37s under it maybe 35s. Either way made me feel that way. If the maintenance slows down just a tad I'd be able to get my lift complete. But the ol' girl just won't let that happen.
inkspot88 is offline  
post #30569 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 PM
mikebontoft
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Murray
Posts: 245
The air filter that came with mine was solid and black. Looked like it had 70K miles on it. It was horrible.
mikebontoft is offline  
post #30570 of 44932 Old 02-28-2014, 10:36 PM
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
My heater core is leaking, if I bypass the heater core, until I have time to fix it, will I run into any problems? Other then not having heat?
Bypassing the core is safe. If you have a 4.0, just make sure you don't plug the lines (connect them together instead) as the heater circuit is the only coolant bypass when the t-stat is closed.
comptiger5000 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
jb1331
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 40 08-12-2016 07:36 AM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 01:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 12:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 09:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome