What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2038 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #30556
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
My heater core is leaking, if I bypass the heater core, until I have time to fix it, will I run into any problems? Other then not having heat?
You should be fine as long as you bleed it properly.

Speaking of heater cores... My ZJ and another client's 1500 sounds like water rushing through the core (probably cause it is). Any ideas why? I haven't even looked it up but I just saw this and thought I'd ask.

mikebontoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #30557
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
My heater core is leaking, if I bypass the heater core, until I have time to fix it, will I run into any problems? Other then not having heat?
No you wont have any problems bypassing the core. Make sure you try to get the coolant out of your core if you can so it doesnt try to slosh around and leak on the starter or run down into your floorboard.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #30558
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post

Speaking of heater cores... My ZJ and another client's 1500 sounds like water rushing through the core (probably cause it is). Any ideas why? I haven't even looked it up but I just saw this and thought I'd ask.
If it only does it when you first start it then it might be low on antifreeze or its stopped up.

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #30559
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

What's the proper way to bleed the system.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #30560
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

If it only does it when you first start it then it might be low on antifreeze or its stopped up.

Only at startup for me... yes I have a coolant leak. BUT, for the Ram the cooling system is definitely full and properly bled because I use one of those Airlift systems that sucks down the cooling system and then uses that vacuum to fill it with coolant. It does it whenever accelerating though on this one. Happened after a heater hose replacement.
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #30561
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Airlift or similar is the best... but realistically fill the system, keep the cap off and let it idle till it gets rid of the air bubbles.
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #30562
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Quote:

Only at startup for me... yes I have a coolant leak. BUT, for the Ram the cooling system is definitely full and properly bled because I use one of those Airlift systems that sucks down the cooling system and then uses that vacuum to fill it with coolant. It does it whenever accelerating though on this one. Happened after a heater hose replacement.
Airlift is the best way to bleed it but if you dont have one then pull the front up on ramps fill the system up and let it run til the bubbles are gone.

As for the ram it sounds like its getting stopped up or theres air in the system after the hose replacement

Unread 02-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #30563
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

Airlift is the best way to bleed it but if you dont have one then pull the front up on ramps fill the system up and let it run til the bubbles are gone.

As for the ram it sounds like its getting stopped up or theres air in the system after the hose replacement

Yup you want the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system.

I bet it's getting plugged then. I just did the timing chain on it (new set of chain and gears was only $58!) So this was after the heater hose replacement...

OH! I know what it is! I saw traces of stop leak on the radiator cap. Ah... nice.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #30564
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Yup you want the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system.

I bet it's getting plugged then. I just did the timing chain on it (new set of chain and gears was only $58!) So this was after the heater hose replacement...

OH! I know what it is! I saw traces of stop leak on the radiator cap. Ah... nice.
Stop leak will definately do it. Get some white vinegar and pour it in and run it for a few minutes with the heat on high then drain the system then take the heater hose loose from the tee for flushing the system and flush it from the radiator through the system until you get clean water coming out of the heater core. Then take the other heater hose off and flush the core from the tee side to the pump side for backflushing. Put everything back together and you should be good to go.

Unread 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #30565
inkspot88
1993 ZJ 

This is what level I'm at today

img_13099815448482.jpeg
inkspot88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #30566
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot88 View Post
Whoa dude. You're serious!
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #30567
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot88 View Post
Dude. I totally did that today as well.
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #30568
inkspot88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGlaser View Post

Dude. I totally did that today as well.
I actually did a new filter a while ago. Just seen a much more built zj today looked like 37s under it maybe 35s. Either way made me feel that way. If the maintenance slows down just a tad I'd be able to get my lift complete. But the ol' girl just won't let that happen.
inkspot88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #30569
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

The air filter that came with mine was solid and black. Looked like it had 70K miles on it. It was horrible.
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #30570
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Bypassing the core is safe. If you have a 4.0, just make sure you don't plug the lines (connect them together instead) as the heater circuit is the only coolant bypass when the t-stat is closed.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.