Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#40,622 ·
Well, the wheels my 33's are on are officially ****ed.

Wheel spacers are ordered and the 33's will get transferred back to the ZJ canyons once I get them off my buddies XJ.

In the mean time, I need the jeep as a work truck so niner wheels and tires it is.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light

I'm not usually one for looks but god this looks freaking stupid.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

On the other hand it feels a hell of a lot more like a V8 again.

#40,624 ·
@AlamoJeeper:
I believe that all Orvis ZJ's had UpCountry suspension. If you do get back there, and can see the tags that are on the springs, I'd love to know what their letter codes are, as well as the part number if possible. The fronts may be the "GP" code which, according to the Kevin's offroad article, are slightly taller, but thinner coils, than the more common "GN"s found on V8's. The rears are probably "JJ".

If you haven't read the KO article, it's a good one. http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techarticles/zj-upcoupgrade.html

Also, if you can get those tow-hooks with all brackets and fasteners, I'd probably buy them, if you don't want them. If you want me to commit to a price before you deal with them, PM me. Good luck.

:cheers2:

#40,625 ·
Believe it or not, for the first time in 185K miles, I adjusted my TV cable and cleaned my throttle-body and IAC. Both the throttle-body and IAC were very gunked up. I spent a few extra bucks on the "Throttle-body Cleaner" rather than using carburetor cleaner, to err on the side of caution. The only thing that was really noticeable was that my shifting from 1 to 2 came at lower RPM's, around 2,000, where any change in the 2-3 upshift wasn't really noticeable. It does seem to shift smoother, which I guess stands to reason at the lower revs. With any luck, my mileage will improve a touch from both of yesterday's jobs.

My Jeep is still losing power when pulling moderate+ grades. I'm pretty sure it's a somewhat clogged cat. I'd like to verify with a back-pressure tester, but figure I might as well put the $40 tool cost into a new cat. The rest of it should be paid for by the recall gift-card. Of course I'm sure I won't see that for months. I don't think it's a bad fuel-pump, as the Jeep will give me RPM's and power if I go into passing gear. That would seem to be counter-indicative for a fuel-pump problem, no?

#40,628 ·
Got the pass side tie rod end replaced. How do you get the upper track bar bolt out when using an impact? Is there such a way? I think I might be stuck to a regular socket driver... I don't know how I can get a hose and small impact wrench up underneath the header and intake manifold to try to use the driver wihtout taking a whole bunch of extra parts out. Thoughts?
Once I get that figured out and get another bulb(damned shop light bulb burnt out 5 min into this), I'll get the new track bar bushings installed and hopefully fix the 2" wander in the steering wheel, and that LOUD popping every time the wheel is turned side to side.. Maybe now it'll drive more like a vehicle and less like a drunk snake

#40,636 ·
I have driven it on the freeway for a trip to Portland and back about 350 miles. I only stopped in Portland for 1/2 hour. That was at 70-75 mph. A/C running the entire time and temp. never broke 190. So far so good.
You won't notice it till in town, traffic or on the trail if so.

#40,637 ·
You won't notice it till in town, traffic or on the trail if so.
Qft
Looks nice and unique but I'd never attempt that on a city vehicle, in the south, or in anything that will see trails

#40,638 ·
I have driven it on the freeway for a trip to Portland and back about 350 miles. I only stopped in Portland for 1/2 hour. That was at 70-75 mph. A/C running the entire time and temp. never broke 190. So far so good.
If it doesn't break 190 your engine is running too cold or you gauge is wrong.