Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#40,584 ·
I got my letter the other day...it stated that they would inspect and install the hitch and give a 100.00 visa card good anywhere for the inconvenience. if you already have one they will inspect it and if required replace it. This is all if and only if your ZJ isn't rusted out. other wise at your cost you can fix it and bring it back or they will give you 1000.00 over book to trade you up to a brand new whatever.

I wonder if the new receiver hitch has the bracket to mount the factory 7 pin trailer harness? i already have all the goodies being a niner but hell a nice new shiner receiver hitch and a 100.00 bucks is better than a kick in the teeth.

#40,585 ·
Fixed my headlight switch today. The dash lights would sometimes flicker and dim on their own, and wiggling the switch was the only remedy. But thanks to this great forum, I followed the instructions in this thread : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...ming-issues-picture-heavy-702703/index10.html

and now my headlight switch is as good as new! A tip to those who attempt this repair -- re-solder every connection as shown in the photos. At first I just tried the connections in the middle of the board -- the joint where the two boards meet. It was so loose, I figured the problem had to be there, so I didn't bother with the other connections. Then I went to the Jeep to test it out, and it still wasn't right. So I had to go back to the kitchen table and solder all the connections, and then it worked perfect!!

#40,586 ·
Had to go pick it up this afternoon on my way back from a trip after it left my daughter stuck. Battery was dead, as in the needle on the voltmeter didn't move. After hooking up the cables to jump it I notice that the headlights are on, as well as the high beam indicator - even with the light switch and the ignition off. No wonder the battery was dead.

After jumping it, I try to turn the high beams off, but no luck. After driving home and disconnecting the battery, I spend a little while with google and learn about the Daytime Running Lights Module.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/daytime-running-lights-9694/#post703026
Symptoms of it going bad are exactly what I'm experiencing. Thanks to Jeepforum & JU I don't have to spend Saturday trying to chase down an electrical problem.

#40,589 ·
I got my letter the other day...it stated that they would inspect and install the hitch and give a 100.00 visa card good anywhere for the inconvenience. if you already have one they will inspect it and if required replace it. This is all if and only if your ZJ isn't rusted out. other wise at your cost you can fix it and bring it back or they will give you 1000.00 over book to trade you up to a brand new whatever.

I wonder if the new receiver hitch has the bracket to mount the factory 7 pin trailer harness? i already have all the goodies being a niner but hell a nice new shiner receiver hitch and a 100.00 bucks is better than a kick in the teeth.
It's my understanding that the recall hitch does not have provisions for the factory wiring harness, based on a conversation I had with a Chrysler service advisor when I had my Orvis in for the N45 so I could get FCA to stop calling.

#40,593 ·
#40,595 ·
Have all the signs of a Plenum gasket gone except the bottom of the plenum is clean. It however has fuel in the bottom and that would certainly keep it clean even if it was sucking oil from the lifter area. Going to get a vacuum gauge and check it out.
How does one test this with a vacuum gauge? I've seen some service info on it but havnt had time to read into it much.. Pretty sure mine is leaking as it seems to be burning more oil than I think it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40,596 ·
Replaced passenger side axle shaft with a new one. I have 4wd now [emoji2] also trimmed the insides on the pinch weld and flattened it to the inner fender plus some. The 265/17s with no lift now only rub exterior fender and that'll be fixed soon.

Pulled it up on a stump for some poser shots. Surprised at the flex really.. 100% stock suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk