What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2027 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #30391
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
does anyone know why a ZJ needs 4 female seatbelt ends for the back seat, or is it just mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I think it had something's to do with car seats.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
Yes, they're for car seats.
Must have been part of an options package because my '93 Laredo has the extra buckle and my wife's '94 Laredo does not have it.

Did this a while back in one thread or another. Looks like this, right?

Unread 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #30392
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post

Yes, they're for car seats.
Must have been part of an options package because my '93 Laredo has the extra buckle and my wife's '94 Laredo does not have it.

Did this a while back in one thread or another. Looks like this, right?
Yes that's how mine looks. That extra one that's longer than the others. Interesting, I really need to get a build sheet on this thing.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #30393
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

It was an option thing on early ZJs that was cut after the '96 refresh. Something to do with carseats, but I don't know exactly. ZJs are pre-LATCH, I know that.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #30394
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Huh. My niner doesn't have that and my mom's 95 Laredo didn't either.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #30395
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
It was an option thing on early ZJs that was cut after the '96 refresh. Something to do with carseats, but I don't know exactly. ZJs are pre-LATCH, I know that.
Pre-latch meaning..? My 95 limited has all those extra things a 90s vehicle has except the carseat strap loops, the little metal loops for the c-clip straps, and it's all OEM except what I've done.

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #30396
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is a standard adopted by the NHTSA in 2002 for child seat anchor points. It labels what is required of a LATCH point, and that all vehicles sold in the US after the standard's adoption must have proper LATCH points. Nothing really major, expensive, or groundbreaking was added to safety design by this, but it drastically improved child safety in accidents where a carseat was involved.

ZJs are, of course, pre-LATCH, so they have different methods of security. Early ZJs sometimes have 4 rear seatbelt plugs to accept a wider child seat in the middle of the bench, as at that time, the lap belt was the only securing device on a child seat. Later ZJs did away with it, as it cost money to have, and wasn't a popular option because the normal plug was sufficient. Thus the 4-buckle rear seat is pretty rare.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #30397
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is a standard adopted by the NHTSA in 2002 for child seat anchor points. It labels what is required of a LATCH point, and that all vehicles sold in the US after the standard's adoption must have proper LATCH points. Nothing really major, expensive, or groundbreaking was added to safety design by this, but it drastically improved child safety in accidents where a carseat was involved.

ZJs are, of course, pre-LATCH, so they have different methods of security. Early ZJs sometimes have 4 rear seatbelt plugs to accept a wider child seat in the middle of the bench, as at that time, the lap belt was the only securing device on a child seat. Later ZJs did away with it, as it cost money to have, and wasn't a popular option because the normal plug was sufficient. Thus the 4-buckle rear seat is pretty rare.
Ahh, got ya. Didn't know that little tidbit. Thanks!

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #30398
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

Cool stuff. Thanks Schizo.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #30399
SkinnyPedalZJ
1997 ZJ 

Got the snorkel installed finally. Didn't like the part where the two parts come together in the fender and up the windshield. But I sealed the crap out of it. We'll see how she holds!!
SkinnyPedalZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #30400
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:

I was really surprised the first time I went to put my daughter's car seat in my ZJ and it didn't have at least a locking seat belt. The way the retainers work in ZJs for car seats is all in the buckle. Once you have pressure on the buckle, the belt cannot be loosened. That's a Chrysler design and many Chrysler's still had that after LATCH became a standard. Their system worked though, and still does. I'm not afraid to take my daughter for a ride in my ZJ. I'm sure she's safer in our Terrain, but we only take her in there for car shows and whatnot. I've also had her car seat in my Caprice a handful of times just to go for a ride with her and my wife. Obviously because it's from 94, it doesn't have the LATCH system in it. GM liked to use locking seat belts though, and still does. In the Terrain, we use the latch, then run the seat belt through the car seat and ensure that's locked as well just for added safety. IIRC, the manual says that's the proper way to install it anyhow.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #30401
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

Nice tidbit!! Thanks I didn't know that!
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #30402
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I was really surprised the first time I went to put my daughter's car seat in my ZJ and it didn't have at least a locking seat belt. The way the retainers work in ZJs for car seats is all in the buckle. Once you have pressure on the buckle, the belt cannot be loosened. That's a Chrysler design and many Chrysler's still had that after LATCH became a standard. Their system worked though, and still does. I'm not afraid to take my daughter for a ride in my ZJ. I'm sure she's safer in our Terrain, but we only take her in there for car shows and whatnot. I've also had her car seat in my Caprice a handful of times just to go for a ride with her and my wife. Obviously because it's from 94, it doesn't have the LATCH system in it. GM liked to use locking seat belts though, and still does. In the Terrain, we use the latch, then run the seat belt through the car seat and ensure that's locked as well just for added safety. IIRC, the manual says that's the proper way to install it anyhow.
The NHTSA says you're supposed to use the lower LATCH point only until the child and seat together weigh 65lbs, but frankly there's no reason not to use the seatbelt in addition to the LATCH anchor.

Personally, if I had a kid, the kid would never be in either of the cars I own. I'm just not convinced they're safe enough for a child, even if I am familiar with their driving dynamics to a T. Not to mention, children are messy. That said, I don't have a kid, and I don't intend to. I already can't afford my Jeep hobby, how could I possibly if I had to feed and clothe my own spawn?

Speaking of affording things, gotta go earn my keep. Stupid all-day shift at work.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #30403
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Kids are the greatest thing that has happened to me. I would never go back and not have kids. Yeah they are expensive and messy but they are a joy and give you experiences that you could never have without the rugrats.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #30404
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Kids are the greatest thing that has happened to me. I would never go back and not have kids. Yeah they are expensive and messy but they are a joy and give you experiences that you could never have without the rugrats.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
x2. Sure they drive me insane more days than not but what would I do without em
Unread 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #30405
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Replaced my old worn out steering stabilizer.

It was like a bicycle pump...
To this standard white that every lift manufacturer sells:

Replaced my stock taillights to these that i bought from ebay:

Looks nice on a black ZJ

Then i did a lightbar for my reverse/work LED lights:

Just wiring left to do.

The steering stabilizer took only 15 minutes to replace, the right tools makes everything easier.
I borrowed this from work:

Here is the number on it if someone needs it or something similar:

I also tightend down my front trackbar, the bolt had loosend on it casuing death wobble at certain speeds, or when i hit a bump in the road.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.