What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2023 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #30331
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

bought another one for my daughter ...
Got her a 1998 Zj Laredo .. Same stone white as my niner ...

1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #30332
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

Iove that there is a "What did you do to your xxxx car today?" thread in every single car forum I've ever been a part of

I drove it hard again. she's just smooth on power. Never mind the piss poor economy... my 4Runner got 12mpg any way I drove it! and that was the 3.0 manual. slow as hell. Even now the ZJ makes almost 14mpg driven hard. and it's about twice the displacement!
mikebontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #30333
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
Iove that there is a "What did you do to your xxxx car today?" thread in every single car forum I've ever been a part of

I drove it hard again. she's just smooth on power. Never mind the piss poor economy... my 4Runner got 12mpg any way I drove it! and that was the 3.0 manual. slow as hell. Even now the ZJ makes almost 14mpg driven hard. and it's about twice the displacement!
Is that hand-calc mpg or from the overhead? In the brutally cold dead of winter, I'm down to about 11 mpg around town in the niner while trying to be somewhat efficient. In the spring/summer/fall, it would be about 13 - 14 mpg in the same driving. OTOH, as long as I don't drive too inefficiently in general, beating on it whenever I need to accelerate doesn't seem to hurt the mileage much (if at all).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #30334
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Give it a band adjustment. That can make a big difference on the 2 - 3 shift, although if it's been slipping for a while, it may just be worn out. Check the TV cable too. How many miles are on it?
TV cable is adjusted properly, though I haven't messed with the bands. It has 81,500 miles on it.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #30335
radean84
1996 ZJ 

I ordered a buncha stuff for my ZJ today. Can't wait to get it all on!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/p...-jeep-2127281/

• Bar pin eliminators for front shocks (hopefully cure some of the remaining knocking noises)
• Front/rear coil isolators (stock ones are shot)
• Coil spacers (temporarily using 2" coil spacers on my 3.5" Rubicon Express springs to end up on 5.5" with short arms in the rear on stock drive shaft, and long arms in the front with u-joint shaft)
• Front/rear Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner shocks (need new shocks to support additional lift)
• Iron Rock Offroad front long arm kit with bolt on sub frame (this will replace my bent and hard to find OEM transmission crossmember while also allowing me much more flex in the front and keeping the axle more centered in the wheel well to resolve clearance issues. Long arms will also work better with my IRO OTK steering.)
• JKS quicker disconnects for front sway bar (needed to allow the sway bar to be connected with the additional lift, and I went with JKS because they are easier to connect/disconnect due to tapered ends)
• Front/rear extended stainless steel brake lines (additional lift and flex requires longer/stronger brake lines)
• Water pump (preventative maintenance, don't want to overheat on the trails!)
• Upper/lower radiator hoses (why have a new water pump with old crusty hoses?)
• Timing cover (mine has a large hole in it which we believe is from an idler pulley that flew around in the engine bay once)
• Timing chain (if replacing the cover, may as well replace the timing chain and gears)
• Oil pump (preventative - going to higher pressure/volume than stock)
• Front/rear crank seals (no more oil leaks!)
• Thermostat with fail safe (if the thermostat malfunctions it will stay open instead of closed)
• Aluminum thermostat housing (preventative to reduce chance of leaks)
• Power steering pump (no more leaks, help with the large tires)
• Full headlight/marker/turn signal kit (replace dull/faded/broken front lights)
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #30336
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post

• Bar pin eliminators for front shocks (hopefully cure some of the remaining knocking noises)
• Coil spacers (temporarily using 2" coil spacers on my 3.5" Rubicon Express springs to end up on 5.5" with short arms in the rear on stock drive shaft, and long arms in the front with u-joint shaft)
• Front/rear Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner shocks (need new shocks to support additional lift)
• Iron Rock Offroad front long arm kit with bolt on sub frame (this will replace my bent and hard to find OEM transmission crossmember while also allowing me much more flex in the front and keeping the axle more centered in the wheel well to resolve clearance issues. Long arms will also work better with my IRO OTK steering.)
• JKS quicker disconnects for front sway bar (needed to allow the sway bar to be connected with the additional lift, and I went with JKS because they are easier to connect/disconnect due to tapered ends)
• Front/rear extended stainless steel brake lines (additional lift and flex requires longer/stronger brake lines)
• Timing cover (mine has a large hole in it which we believe is from an idler pulley that flew around in the engine bay once)
• Timing chain (if replacing the cover, may as well replace the timing chain and gears)
• Thermostat with fail safe (if the thermostat malfunctions it will stay open instead of closed)
• Full headlight/marker/turn signal kit (replace dull/faded/broken front lights)
your gonna regret that t stat
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #30337
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I am in need of a trans rebuild. They were not kidding when they said the 44RE was not enough for the 5.2. Fluid's perfect and it still occasionally slips the 2-3 shift with the throttle pinned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Give it a band adjustment. That can make a big difference on the 2 - 3 shift, although if it's been slipping for a while, it may just be worn out. Check the TV cable too. How many miles are on it?
I changed my trans fluid around 70-75k miles and adjusted the bands. It made a huge difference in performance. I also adjusted my TV about a year later when I read about it on here. My ZJ shifts like it's new now. The 44RE is enough for the power of the 5.2. Try some maintenance before you throw a bunch of money at a rebuild or replacement trans.
ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #30338
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo View Post

Had this problem with a friends ZJ. Ended up being the coil.
I agree. I had the exact same issues. Mine died going down the highway, and would crank, but never fired up. Replaced regulator, fuel pump, filters, just to realize it was a cheap ignition coil.
EndIsNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #30339
li'l jeep
Always a Pirate

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ
Ordered some go-fast stuff... Extreme Flow 14" Air Cleaner Lid 2" Extreme flow air filter Accell Heavy Duty cap Catch can Drop base #1 Offset drop base #2 (gonna see which one is easier to work with) Felpro intake manifold gasket set: Set of eight copper core champions: Summit Racing 8mm wires Accell heavy duty stainless rotor Set of four 5 1/8" air hat gaskets Felpro valve cover gaskets And two blank keys for a Dodge Viper As soon as I have a whole weekend to myself, all this stuff, an M1, Mopar Performance VCs, an AC delete bracket (that I'm making myself from a JY unit), a new thermostat, the two a-pillar gauges and pod, and the custom VIC switchpanel/ ammeter are going in all at once.
What year viper keys? My buddy did this and I'm mad jealous. I'm totally copying. Lol.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
li'l jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #30340
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I changed my trans fluid around 70-75k miles and adjusted the bands. It made a huge difference in performance. I also adjusted my TV about a year later when I read about it on here. My ZJ shifts like it's new now. The 44RE is enough for the power of the 5.2. Try some maintenance before you throw a bunch of money at a rebuild or replacement trans.
There have been some other issues of concern, but I'm gonna try that before I go for a rebuild.

Bear in mind, all of my prior experience with the TorqueFlite transmissions of the 1990s has been with the massive failure rate I've observed. I assume these aren't much better than 4L30s.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #30341
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

put some more seafoam in the tank

im thinking of doing this every 3 months and running the tank out before every oil change but i dont want to do it too often

anyone think 3 - 4 oz of it a tank of gas a week or so before an oil change is going to hurt it ?
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #30342
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

If you get a fail safe thermostat.. You might as well just run your ZJ WITHOUT ANY THERMOSTAT! They fail instantly.
StPaul59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #30343
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
If you get a fail safe thermostat.. You might as well just run your ZJ WITHOUT ANY THERMOSTAT! They fail instantly.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...l#post20403273
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #30344
radean84
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the heads up on the fail safe thermostats guys. I'll be putting a standard one in and will just keep a spare in my toolbox.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #30345
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the fail safe thermostats guys. I'll be putting a standard one in and will just keep a spare in my toolbox.
Get a Stant or mopar. Stant is only like $2 more and has high marks. 195Ί temperature
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.