What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2022 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #30316
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
That's something I'd consider attempting to do on my own I think, as long as a tune or any other "supporting" mods aren't really necessary. How long did it take you?
I wouldnt think it makes enough of a difference to require a tune.
It took about 5 hours, including getting used to all the tools and finding a speed that wouldnt load them up with aluminum.

We'll see how it works, i had a spare and time to kill so no biggie if i dont like it

Unread 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #30317
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I am still having issues with my Jeep. Replacing the IAC and CPS masked my problem for like a week or so and haven't solved my problem.

So I dropped my Jeep off at the shop today...... Yesterday was driving and my Jeep died once or twice during the day. Then I went out to dinner, on my way home my Jeep would be ~1200 RPMs then drop to ~200 RPMs all while driving but wouldn't die. I would put it in neutral, gave it a little gas and RPMs came back up. That happened last night about 6 times.

The last straw was turning onto my street, Jeep shut down mid turn and was dead. Put the tranny in neutral and tried starting the Jeep but nothing. Would crank and crank and crank but wouldn't fire up. Check gauges light was on, battery looked low, below the normal 14v. Let the Jeep sit for 2 or 3 mins and fired right back up. Was as to pull it home and when I parked it, Jeep died again.

So this morning I dropped it off at the shop....

So here's what I a. Thinking, and of course driving there this morning there were no problems, shop cannot get my Jeep to duplicate the problems...

Here's what I'm thinking..

1) Bad fuel pump?
2) Bad upstream O2 sensor?
3) Bad PCM

Please guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #30318
jeepmojo
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
I am still having issues with my Jeep. Replacing the IAC and CPS masked my problem for like a week or so and haven't solved my problem.

So I dropped my Jeep off at the shop today...... Yesterday was driving and my Jeep died once or twice during the day. Then I went out to dinner, on my way home my Jeep would be ~1200 RPMs then drop to ~200 RPMs all while driving but wouldn't die. I would put it in neutral, gave it a little gas and RPMs came back up. That happened last night about 6 times.

The last straw was turning onto my street, Jeep shut down mid turn and was dead. Put the tranny in neutral and tried starting the Jeep but nothing. Would crank and crank and crank but wouldn't fire up. Check gauges light was on, battery looked low, below the normal 14v. Let the Jeep sit for 2 or 3 mins and fired right back up. Was as to pull it home and when I parked it, Jeep died again.

So this morning I dropped it off at the shop....

So here's what I a. Thinking, and of course driving there this morning there were no problems, shop cannot get my Jeep to duplicate the problems...

Here's what I'm thinking..

1) Bad fuel pump?
2) Bad upstream O2 sensor?
3) Bad PCM

Please guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Had this problem with a friends ZJ. Ended up being the coil.
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #30319
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo View Post
Had this problem with a friends ZJ. Ended up being the coil.
Really... What other symptoms was he having? It
Does make sense that it could be the coil.

I am running an MSD ignition coil

It seemed my problem in intermittent though....

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #30320
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Put your diaper back on you big baby.

When you get those tires, get all the same size this time lol. That way you won't have to "deflate one to match" and also run the risk of a blowout because it's old, bald, under inflated, and overheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Implying I've had this Jeep long enough to put mismatched used tires on it.

Don't speak. It makes you look as dumb as you are.
We have a new fighter entering the ring with polka. I wonder who will win this time and how long it will go on. I just made popcorn and a bottle of beer. Let the fight begin. Ding ding ding.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #30321
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

C'mon dudes,lol. This is a cross section just like any city. Plenty of people, different conditions, different circumstances, different history, bad days,good days, *****ing boss, bonus day, unexpected bills, bigger refund, less refund, jeep runs good, jeep runs bad, mother in laws, lol, ect ect. One thing we all have in common is we like zj's, or at least want the things to roll. People that will use search, people that won't, people that ask newbie questions, which have been asked a billion times, people that won't listen when you try to help ect ect. People that ask a question and are told how stupid they are almost immediately....thats sad.

I enjoy this forum and look forward to reading it daily, not just for the info but for the varied personalities,and interaction with those personalities, all for a common cause. Not alot of that roaming around in the world today. I feel good when I can help and disappointed when I can't. If your having a bad day, thats cool, just try not to project it so much. I've had my share, and continue to have them, and for sure always will. But there are friends I've made here that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the bull with if I felt the need. Its a mixing pot, you can't always have a clean spoon.
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #30322
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The longer you take the better it looks First time it took me a full 24 hours over two days. You don't need a tune.

A hole saw and a vice is a good way to go. I used a brake honer and then sanded. Looks great and it's free! I didn't notice anything big but the throttle response was much better.
Awesome. I'll probably make that a project for this summer at some point then. I know I got better response when I put that TB on that I got from you. I don't know if it was because I cleaned it all up before I installed it, cleaned the IAC before I put it in there, or changed my plenum plate/gasket at the same time. It was probably a mix of all 3. We'll see if opening it up makes a bigger difference. Stock is a 50mm? How big do you think you could go before you'd require a tune or get adverse effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
I wouldnt think it makes enough of a difference to require a tune.
It took about 5 hours, including getting used to all the tools and finding a speed that wouldnt load them up with aluminum.

We'll see how it works, i had a spare and time to kill so no biggie if i dont like it
I've got a spare at home somewhere with a broken bolt in it that I couldn't get out. Maybe I'll mess with that one first if I can find it for practice. 5 hours isn't too bad. I could spread that out over a week and do it for about an hour a night. That's how I installed my e-fan so it didn't take up an entire day for me. I waited till my wife and daughter went to bed then went into the garage to work.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #30323
jeepmojo
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
Really... What other symptoms was he having? It
Does make sense that it could be the coil.

I am running an MSD ignition coil

It seemed my problem in intermittent though....
Hers did pretty much the same thing you described. Would idle fine but as soon as you got on the gas would bog down and damn near die. Could go a little ways until it got up to full operating temp the the **** would hit the fan...
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #30324
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Awesome. I'll probably make that a project for this summer at some point then. I know I got better response when I put that TB on that I got from you. I don't know if it was because I cleaned it all up before I installed it, cleaned the IAC before I put it in there, or changed my plenum plate/gasket at the same time. It was probably a mix of all 3. We'll see if opening it up makes a bigger difference. Stock is a 50mm? How big do you think you could go before you'd require a tune or get adverse effects?
Just a TB won't require a tune but I wouldn't go over 52 without having other mods.
If you don't have anything modded then 51 would be fine imo.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #30325
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

If I get around to it, I'll probably go to 51mm then. I'm not looking for huge gains or anything. If I can mod it for free and make it "better than it was," I'm game.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #30326
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
C'mon dudes,lol. This is a cross section just like any city. Plenty of people, different conditions, different circumstances, different history, bad days,good days, *****ing boss, bonus day, unexpected bills, bigger refund, less refund, jeep runs good, jeep runs bad, mother in laws, lol, ect ect. One thing we all have in common is we like zj's, or at least want the things to roll. People that will use search, people that won't, people that ask newbie questions, which have been asked a billion times, people that won't listen when you try to help ect ect. People that ask a question and are told how stupid they are almost immediately....thats sad.

I enjoy this forum and look forward to reading it daily, not just for the info but for the varied personalities,and interaction with those personalities, all for a common cause. Not alot of that roaming around in the world today. I feel good when I can help and disappointed when I can't. If your having a bad day, thats cool, just try not to project it so much. I've had my share, and continue to have them, and for sure always will. But there are friends I've made here that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the bull with if I felt the need. Its a mixing pot, you can't always have a clean spoon.
Shut up Coralman
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #30327
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Unread 02-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #30328
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I am in need of a trans rebuild. They were not kidding when they said the 44RE was not enough for the 5.2. Fluid's perfect and it still occasionally slips the 2-3 shift with the throttle pinned.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #30329
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
All that bald-*** street tire will see anyway. I'm not wheeling it on bald street tires, that'd be dumb. The tires I'm looking at are a set of Kumho KL78 A/Ts, and I'm planning a trip to Colorado this summer for some tougher wheeling than Texas typically offers. (As well as a number of trips to the local spots) I don't know what your deal is, Polka, but I think you ought to stop talking out your ***.
I ran the same tires on my last truck and they did really well for an a/t. Been to barnwell down around Gilmer?
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #30330
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I am in need of a trans rebuild. They were not kidding when they said the 44RE was not enough for the 5.2. Fluid's perfect and it still occasionally slips the 2-3 shift with the throttle pinned.
Give it a band adjustment. That can make a big difference on the 2 - 3 shift, although if it's been slipping for a while, it may just be worn out. Check the TV cable too. How many miles are on it?
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.