Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#40,362 ·
I drove mine today. Haven't loaded up the Superchip Flashpack yet, did the brakes on the new to the family WRX- I've got 3 projects going at once in addition to normal day to day stuff. Tomorrow though, if I don't get another eye roll from the Mrs as to why I'm not totally focused on finishing the remodel on our Airstream. :D

#40,365 ·
Started installing all this audio equipment I bought. And then, 8 hours in, I got hit with sudden, painful heat exhaustion. Turns out, installing an all-new audio system in a Jeep with 3 rows of speakers in the sun on a 102 degree day is bad for your health.

I really need to get a garage.

#40,366 ·
Watch that stuff Schizo, it hits fast and is quite deadly. As old as I am, if I'm gonna be in it a while I keep a wet towel drooped over my neck and shoulders. The evaporative cooling knocks it down a notch. If it gets real bad i have cooler with ice water in it and the towel gets drenched in that and put over my head.

#40,367 ·
Started installing all this audio equipment I bought. And then, 8 hours in, I got hit with sudden, painful heat exhaustion. Turns out, installing an all-new audio system in a Jeep with 3 rows of speakers in the sun on a 102 degree day is bad for your health.

Coralmans right plenty of hydration even if you don't feel thirsty and that wet rag around the neck works you can find the ones that will stay cool for hours all over the place these days.

Hydrate constantly, cool down often, rest when needed.

hope your taken pics along the way

#40,369 ·

I've used one of those cheap pop up's that you get at BiMart. A little shade goes a long ways.

#40,370 ·
Finally installed the 91oct Performance tune (Superchips Flashpaq from Kolak). Given that it was only recently that I figured out it had been tuned to 87oct Economy by the previous owner, I was interested in the results. So far I'm super pleased! The butt dyno noticed a huge improvement in acceleration, and the shift points feel correct. Before there was a weird spot between 1st and 2nd, and a 'leap' to OD. That seems tighter now. Even if it's the 'placebo effect' it's the best $$ I've spent on her in awhile. I also like that I can tune it back to Economy, and for 'heavy towing' since I do tow our 1963 Airstream around with it pretty often, and living in the mountains on the west coast means she gets used hard from time to time.
Now off to the parts store for a new muffler. Any suggestions on something that rumbles a bit, but isn't super obnoxious?

#40,374 ·
Watch that stuff Schizo, it hits fast and is quite deadly. As old as I am, if I'm gonna be in it a while I keep a wet towel drooped over my neck and shoulders. The evaporative cooling knocks it down a notch. If it gets real bad i have cooler with ice water in it and the towel gets drenched in that and put over my head.
Coralmans right plenty of hydration even if you don't feel thirsty and that wet rag around the neck works you can find the ones that will stay cool for hours all over the place these days.

Hydrate constantly, cool down often, rest when needed.

hope your taken pics along the way
Constant hydration could not keep up with the 3-digit temperatures, and the high humidity made evaporative cooling ineffective. I should have rested more, but youth is the time to make bad decisions. But I'm mostly okay. Still a bit bad in the muscles, especially when getting up from rest, but fortunately we were able to get all the rest of the work done this morning while there was a breeze. So I'm gonna leave the Jeep be for awhile.

Unfortunately, it's picking up a lot of alternator noise (even though I routed all the cables the same way I did to fix the Orvis's problem with that) and I think I'm getting destructive interference from the soundbar speakers. Also the steering wheel control adapter stopped working when I put the cluster bezel back in, and I'm missing a number of fasteners. So I am going to have to tear the whole interior back out here in a few days when the weather cools off a bit so I can fix everything. I hate when that happens.

In other news, neutral idle has gone to 1500rpm, which is a big problem. But I don't think it's related to the stereo, since it started to tick up when I parked before I started the teardown. Suspect a failing IACV. This happens every time I buy a ZJ.

#40,375 ·
Constant hydration could not keep up with the 3-digit temperatures, and the high humidity made evaporative cooling ineffective. I should have rested more, but youth is the time to make bad decisions. But I'm mostly okay. Still a bit bad in the muscles, especially when getting up from rest, but fortunately we were able to get all the rest of the work done this morning while there was a breeze. So I'm gonna leave the Jeep be for awhile.

Unfortunately, it's picking up a lot of alternator noise (even though I routed all the cables the same way I did to fix the Orvis's problem with that) and I think I'm getting destructive interference from the soundbar speakers. Also the steering wheel control adapter stopped working when I put the cluster bezel back in, and I'm missing a number of fasteners. So I am going to have to tear the whole interior back out here in a few days when the weather cools off a bit so I can fix everything. I hate when that happens.

In other news, neutral idle has gone to 1500rpm, which is a big problem. But I don't think it's related to the stereo, since it started to tick up when I parked before I started the teardown. Suspect a failing IACV. This happens every time I buy a ZJ.
You are a huge wanker.

#40,380 ·
Worked on installing my rear bumper today. I'm honestly not impressed with how it lines up with the body, but its stout. Also cut the hood up for some hood vents. They'll be mounted tomorrow after the paint cures.

Looks good End. I get the gap being blue makes it real noticeable I would mask it off and paint that area Matte. But that is just me. Bumper looks good though.