What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2016 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #30226
95knight
1998 ZJ 

So as many know ZJs are often times trouble some. So while at school tonight me and another guy who owns a YJ were talking and someone else over heard. Turned out the other guy was a tech at a Jeep dealer in the area. He asked what type of Jeep we had, I had ZJ he said "Man I feel damn sorry you!" my only reply "I'm making some head way". After that we laughed it out but first time I ever heard someone employed by Jeep or Jeep Dealer say that they were bad and they know it.

95knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #30227
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

filled the tank and told myself she is worth it
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #30228
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
So as many know ZJs are often times trouble some. So while at school tonight me and another guy who owns a YJ were talking and someone else over heard. Turned out the other guy was a tech at a Jeep dealer in the area. He asked what type of Jeep we had, I had ZJ he said "Man I feel damn sorry you!" my only reply "I'm making some head way". After that we laughed it out but first time I ever heard someone employed by Jeep or Jeep Dealer say that they were bad and they know it.
I honestly don't think I've ever heard of another vehicle model having so many break the 200k mark and still drive so well! (In most cases) But that could be because their owners love them.

On topic: I finally took it out of 4HI, it's rather sad when 30 degrees feels warm compared to the single digits we've been experiencing. Forecast says more snow this weekend, so I suppose I'll be shifting it back in no time.

Also, bought about 100ft of Paracord to wrap my steering wheel, we'll see how that goes.
JColee is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #30229
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Hahaha that is pretty funny right there. Zjs are only for those who like to work on their jeeps hahah

sent from, uh
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #30230
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Yeah. It's pretty solid for how cheap it is. I've got the Rotella 5W-40 synth in my 5.9, seems to be doing the job well. Only other oil that's made my "should try at some point" list is M1 0W-40.
I've been running M1 10W-30 synthetic in my ZJ since I purchased it. The PO switched over to synthetic at some point and I haven't had the balls to switch back because of all the old wives tales regarding the topic... In any case, I get it at Walmart and only pay like $21 for the 5 quarts. I then use my company truck to take a trip to Meijer to get my Purolator Pure One filter since they're one of the highest rated oil filters on the market by independent labs. All in all, I do my synthetic changes with good oil and a good filter for under $30.

Quote:
I'd say a ZJ is a pretty reliable vehicle. Sure, they have issues here and there, but they're old. You're not going to find an old vehicle that doesn't. In all seriousness, how many older cars have the same percentage of vehicles as ZJs that have gone over 300k? (Lets keep that to 90s American cars since we all know older Jap cars can easily hit that mileage. They were too far ahead of the game back then.)
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #30231
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

I'd say a ZJ is a pretty reliable vehicle. Sure, they have issues here and there, but they're old. You're not going to find an old vehicle that doesn't. In all seriousness, how many older cars have the same percentage of vehicles as ZJs that have gone over 300k? (Lets keep that to 90s American cars since we all know older Jap cars can easily hit that mileage. They were too far ahead of the game back then.)
I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine on a cross country trip.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #30232
98ZJLTD
Your moms favorite Jeeper

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine on a cross country trip.
Once I get the IRO control arms FedEx dropped off for me yesterday installed and adjusted properly and all my drive line vibes are fixed I would drive mine cross country without hesitation as well.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #30233
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

I'd take mine on a cross country trip, with half a case of oil in the back for insurance (although its oil use has gone down since I replaced the plenum gasket).
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #30234
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I hope you replaced the plate as well as the gasket. Otherwise you're going to be replacing the gasket again since the plate is most likely warped.
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #30235
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I hope you replaced the plate as well as the gasket. Otherwise you're going to be replacing the gasket again since the plate is most likely warped.
Just the gasket, was below 0 in the garage. Plate is planned as a summer project when its warmer out. Not that I want to struggle that much again, but oh well.
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #30236
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I had my intake off twice. I know I mentioned it in here. The second time was because on the first go-round, I used the cork pieces for the front and rear of the gasket. The rear must have slid when I placed the really small, light, easy to manouver intake back into place. I learned from that though and used black RTV this time. What I did forget to do this time, however, was emptying the block of coolant. Yeah, I thought the just radiator was enough. Needless to say I did 4 or 5 oil changes within 3 miles of each other to flush the oil of coolant...
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #30237
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I had my intake off twice. I know I mentioned it in here. The second time was because on the first go-round, I used the cork pieces for the front and rear of the gasket. The rear must have slid when I placed the really small, light, easy to manouver intake back into place. I learned from that though and used black RTV this time. What I did forget to do this time, however, was emptying the block of coolant. Yeah, I thought the just radiator was enough. Needless to say I did 4 or 5 oil changes within 3 miles of each other to flush the oil of coolant...
Yeah, its so light and easy to maneuver into place. I let mine drain for around half an hour through the radiator before I did anything, also had the radiator cap off so the block drained too. I plan on getting a better plate come summer (or saying screw it and getting an aftermarket manifold).
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #30238
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Topped off the tank and gave her a much needed bath. Now just waiting on my replacement card to get here so I can order my club decals and the tj fuel bezel
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #30239
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post

Im so glad that im down south and dont have to deal with all the snow from up north

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
I live in ks don't see much snow but when of does snow the roads have way to much salt. They get really salt happy here
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #30240
ZJshortbus
1998 ZJ 

Noticed the various noises it makes and thought about the time it'll take to fix them all. Weird part is I kind of enjoy doing it, even as an electrical guy.
ZJshortbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.