Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#40,241 ·
Nice job :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about making something similar for for my ZJ, but one that I can swap in and out with the seats without bolts/screws going into jeep (and a little longer I'm 6' 3")
hin
again nice work
Thanks You

It could be made to clamp instead of bolt. I also am putting two hinged and carpeted extenders that can be released and swung out and will go right to the back edge of the console giving 6' in length.

#40,243 ·
Got my muffler in the mail today :D hopefully I can get it on this weekend.

Light Fluid Bottle Gas Outdoor shoe

Also did some testing today on my overheating issue. I believe it's still something blocking my flow. With all new components, and been flushed multiple times. I noticed the temps at idle with the A/C on getting really high. So I shut the A/C off. And the temps went back to normal (tad below 210 mark). Drove with the A/C off, and temps went back up to around 225. Fan clutch engages fine. Anybody ever tried CLR for a flush since the stuff at the store isn't doing me much good? I've read it's been done. With good results.

#40,246 ·
"Besides I'm still a Kenwood guy in my heart. It's the audio brand I keep coming back to. I also think their eXcelon series KDC-BT decks look much more appropriate in a ZJ's dash than anything else on the market."

The Kenwood in my WRX is pretty rad. So rad in fact I'm still learning it's functionality. Admittedly, I could have got a way nicer deck for the same price as the Nakamichi (not that it was crazy expensive like the Pioneer PRS(?) ), but it's nice enough I guess, and there really wasn't anything that fills the space of the factory unit visually very well.

#40,247 ·
"Besides I'm still a Kenwood guy in my heart. It's the audio brand I keep coming back to. I also think their eXcelon series KDC-BT decks look much more appropriate in a ZJ's dash than anything else on the market."

The Kenwood in my WRX is pretty rad. So rad in fact I'm still learning it's functionality. Admittedly, I could have got a way nicer deck for the same price as the Nakamichi (not that it was crazy expensive like the Pioneer PRS(?) ), but it's nice enough I guess, and there really wasn't anything that fills the space of the factory unit visually very well.
Nothing is crazy expensive like the Stage 4 DEX-P99RS. Nothing is quite as gorgeous either. (Except a KRC-999 MkII :drool:)

I do wish there were some 1.5DIN options. Something that would fill the space that American automakers love to use a bit better than a cheap dash kit. That failing, I went for the simplest-looking deck that offered the featureset I was looking for, including and especially the color-change backlight and the really tight equalizer control that the eXcelon series offers. It's useful for the kind of music I listen to most often, though probably overkill for the more normal music that regular people listen to.

Still, I don't know if I'd buy any of Nakamichi's 3 options on the market currently. They look nice, but they're a bit too no-nonsense, and lack what I feel should be standard features on a deck in that price range.

#40,248 ·
That's because you're 24 :D (TBH I didn't know either until I started looking for a modern deck that would have been 'top end' in 1998. Got lucky, and it's actually not too bad compared to the Kenwood DDX719 in my WRX. TBH, it was easier to set up the crossover freq, gains, output etc on the Nakamichi).
Well since they abandoned the professional audio business decades ago I figured they had died rather than going into car audio.

Actually, it looks like thats exactly what happened, they couldn't keep up in the transition to digital and they went bankrupt after Niro Nakamichi left in the 90's.

#40,250 ·
Got up early and took out the dash replaced all A/C components not including the condenser replaced the blend door actuator replaced a broken arm on the box, the one that directs the air flow. Put new foam in the box. Re installed the dash soldered on a new turn signal plug because the one on the harness was broken. And in all that time I managed to lose the bracket that connects the dash to the floor on the driver side? Also put on a new window switch on the passenger rear door. Vacuumed out the interior and cleaned the windows. I'd say it was a successful morning.

#40,251 ·
Installed another thermostat and a new riser (just because I like shiny new parts) and upper hose. My fan is under sized and there is effectively no shroud I was in a pinch when I put the new Rad in and saved a few bucks. Something that I typically do not do. I usually over buy. Lesson learned. I have a new 3800 CFM fan and shroud coming. Also installed new cap and rotor. Going to try and get the O2 sensors done today (warm up the torch) and change the oil. I have to go out of town to see a doc tomorrow. Would like the trip to be uneventful. Oh wait I own a ZJ that isn't going to happen.:rofl:

#40,252 ·
Installed another thermostat and a new riser (just because I like shiny new parts) and upper hose. My fan is under sized and there is effectively no shroud I was in a pinch when I put the new Rad in and saved a few bucks. Something that I typically do not do. I usually over buy. Lesson learned. I have a new 3800 CFM fan and shroud coming. Also installed new cap and rotor. Going to try and get the O2 sensors done today (warm up the torch) and change the oil. I have to go out of town to see a doc tomorrow. Would like the trip to be uneventful. Oh wait I own a ZJ that isn't going to happen.:rofl:
As long as the ZJ is ahead of you on parts failures, it's a good day.

#40,255 ·
#40,257 ·
I often say I will take luck over skill any day. Today is that day. I got that oil changed and had daylight left so I thought I would tackle those O2 sensors before my trip in AM. Got out the torch the breaker bars the PB Blaster...They must have been put on with anti seize because one moderate turn with an 18" wrench and both turned. The hardest part was that front connector. :D

#40,260 ·
If we're going to talk about nice head units, I'll be forced to mention my DEH-P800PRS with its black brushed aluminum face, simple two knob design, Cu plated chassis, 16 band L/R GEQ, 9 channel TA, phasing for each individual driver, 3 way network capabilities, etc. I love that head unit.