What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1998 - JeepForum.com
 241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #29956 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
This is one of the main reasons Texans do so poorly in wintry conditions. All of our cars are running summer tires so they don't melt during our 6-month summers. That means no wet traction and negative traction in snow and ice. Combine with a lack of salt, and the melt-refreeze cycle that happens, and throw in driver inexperience, and it's no wonder we shut down and stay home.

Alabama's much the same way, but they don't have the sense to stay home.
Good summer tires should be good in the wet, just not cold or snow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29957 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
i prefer to drive in snow/ice conditions

wtf does everyone below iowa run bald tires or something ?

people trapped on the hiway at work or school lol obviously all non jeepers
It's not that people run bald tires, it's that they run tread patterns and compounds that don't fare well in snow and ice. In northern climates, people usually have a set of All-Season tires and a set of Winter tires. In the south, people usually have a single set of Summer tires. Winter tires are made of a soft compound rubber that's pliable and spreads out to find traction, and those tires have a pattern that digs down through snow and slush to hit road. As well, the tread is designed to throw snow out at speed.

Contrast against summer tires, which are made of a very hard compound, with a wide tread and minimal water channels. This hard compound doesn't have a lot of traction, which is why so little of it is water channeling, but it survives so much better under the heat conditions seen in the south. Blacktop asphalt can exceed 200 degrees in the sun, and tires are black as well. Tire temperatures at highway speeds can exceed 270 degrees. Winter tires, or even all-season tires, don't stand up to that kind of stress very well. A set of all-season tires might last a couple seasons in Texas before they were destroyed by heat and UV damage, whereas a set of summer tires might last 6-10 years.

It doesn't snow, sleet, slush, or ice here very often, so we don't buy winter tires, and the summer tires we use are engineered for dry traction, at which they excel. However, if it gets wet, or especially if it gets snowy or slushy, summer tires suck.

The other problem is, since it doesn't snow or ice very often, we don't have infrastructure to take care of it when it does. Up north, you have trucks to salt and plow the roads, and your roads are designed to maintain traction conditions with snow on top of them. We don't have salt trucks (we have double digit numbers of dump trucks full of sand, across the entire metroplex, which is roughly the size of New Hampshire) and our roads are designed to run quiet and last against high heat extremes.

Now, that's Texas- I'm not incredibly familiar with Alabama, but I assume it's pretty similar.

Besides, we don't complain when it's 80 degrees out

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
post #29958 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
It's not that people run bald tires, it's that they run tread patterns and compounds that don't fare well in snow and ice. In northern climates, people usually have a set of All-Season tires and a set of Winter tires. In the south, people usually have a single set of Summer tires. Winter tires are made of a soft compound rubber that's pliable and spreads out to find traction, and those tires have a pattern that digs down through snow and slush to hit road. As well, the tread is designed to throw snow out at speed.

Contrast against summer tires, which are made of a very hard compound, with a wide tread and minimal water channels. This hard compound doesn't have a lot of traction, which is why so little of it is water channeling, but it survives so much better under the heat conditions seen in the south. Blacktop asphalt can exceed 200 degrees in the sun, and tires are black as well. Tire temperatures at highway speeds can exceed 270 degrees. Winter tires, or even all-season tires, don't stand up to that kind of stress very well. A set of all-season tires might last a couple seasons in Texas before they were destroyed by heat and UV damage, whereas a set of summer tires might last 6-10 years.

It doesn't snow, sleet, slush, or ice here very often, so we don't buy winter tires, and the summer tires we use are engineered for dry traction, at which they excel. However, if it gets wet, or especially if it gets snowy or slushy, summer tires suck.

The other problem is, since it doesn't snow or ice very often, we don't have infrastructure to take care of it when it does. Up north, you have trucks to salt and plow the roads, and your roads are designed to maintain traction conditions with snow on top of them. We don't have salt trucks (we have double digit numbers of dump trucks full of sand, across the entire metroplex, which is roughly the size of New Hampshire) and our roads are designed to run quiet and last against high heat extremes.

Now, that's Texas- I'm not incredibly familiar with Alabama, but I assume it's pretty similar.

Besides, we don't complain when it's 80 degrees out
i know even in lower latitudes i would still have b temp snowflake rated tires because grip over more surfaces

fyi i dont complain until its 100+ in july/august

97 zj orvis/04 wj ltd/02 lancer oz rally/85 rx7 gs

post #29959 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i know even in lower latitudes i would still have b temp snowflake rated tires because grip over more surfaces

fyi i dont complain until its 100+ in july/august
Not if you wanted your tires to last any period of time at all, you wouldn't.

Signature rules are dumb
post #29960 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
jeepmojo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
I live in Michigan and I run All-Terrains 35 days a year.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys a Jeep. And I ain't ever seen a sad person in a Jeep!!
post #29961 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
i drive a 318 ohv v8 for the same reason idgaf about frugality its the experience you know ?

if one cares about using tires fast and gas milage and such they should be in the kitchen not out playing in the snow

97 zj orvis/04 wj ltd/02 lancer oz rally/85 rx7 gs
post #29962 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo View Post
I live in Michigan and I run All-Terrains 35 days a year.
A set of ATs might last awhile in Michigan. A set of ATs will dry-rot within a year under the sun in Texas. Case in point: It's happened to every set of ATs I, or any of my friends, have ever owned.

Quote:
i drive a 318 ohv v8 for the same reason idgaf about frugality its the experience you know ?

if one cares about using tires fast and gas milage and such they should be in the kitchen not out playing in the snow
I can see the argument for gas mileage- gas is cheap. But damn, tires aren't, least of all Jeep tires.

I'll say this: If you want to spend money to buy a fuel-efficient car, realize that that money could buy a LOT of gas.

Signature rules are dumb
post #29963 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Nothing beats having the right tires for the conditions. I've got 3 sets for my ZJ: A set of performance summers for street use, a set of snows for winter and a set of A/Ts for off-road use.
post #29964 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 PM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 

What are seasons
post #29965 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
ejschultz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The right tires make all the difference. All seasons are mediocre at best in all situations. They're actually pretty bad in the winter. MTs are garbage in packed snow or ice. ATs tend to do alright in wintery conditions but they suffer in on road performance and wear. There isn't a perfect tire for all applications. I know plenty of people who run summer tires and winter tires in their respective months living in the Chicagoland area. It is definitely the best way to go. For my ZJ, I chose the Duratracs because they suit my needs fairly well. They're good off-road and good in wintery conditions. Those are the times my traction matters the most to me. My Jeep isn't fast, nor do I expect it to handle well. I chose tires based on my driving habits.

01 TJ - 4.0L, NV3550, 2" Skyjacker budget boost, Xenon flat flares, LoD front bumper, Tuff Stuff rear bumper, RH4X4 sliders, 33" STT Pros on 15x8s
post #29966 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
SCZJ
1994 ZJ 

Drove it all over the place in the snow. Pulled out a couple of cars. I love my Jeep.

'94 ZJ, 4.0, D30/D44A, 4 1/2" lift, 32" tires, 3.73 gears, etc... Just another cookie cutter ZJ.
post #29967 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Drove it to work and Home, about an hour each way !
Attached Thumbnails
s_Jeep-1-29-14.jpg  

If You can't Go Around It then Go Over It !!!!!!!!!
post #29968 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
The right tires make all the difference. All seasons are mediocre at best in all situations. They're actually pretty bad in the winter. MTs are garbage in packed snow or ice. ATs tend to do alright in wintery conditions but they suffer in on road performance and wear. There isn't a perfect tire for all applications. I know plenty of people who run summer tires and winter tires in their respective months living in the Chicagoland area. It is definitely the best way to go. For my ZJ, I chose the Duratracs because they suit my needs fairly well. They're good off-road and good in wintery conditions. Those are the times my traction matters the most to me. My Jeep isn't fast, nor do I expect it to handle well. I chose tires based on my driving habits.
Ultimately for me, I run ATs on my Jeeps and deal with the reduced longevity in exchange for offroad performance. However, for my sportier cars, given my climate, I use performance-oriented summer tires which last longer and can provide good traction at speed.

Anyway, I bought some stuff for the ZJ today. Oil and some detailing stuff. Got the day off tomorrow, gonna give the Orvis some love.

Signature rules are dumb
post #29969 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Ultimately for me, I run ATs on my Jeeps and deal with the reduced longevity in exchange for offroad performance. However, for my sportier cars, given my climate, I use performance-oriented summer tires which last longer and can provide good traction at speed.

Anyway, I bought some stuff for the ZJ today. Oil and some detailing stuff. Got the day off tomorrow, gonna give the Orvis some love.
Cant believe oriellys gave you the day off. I took today off because i couldnt get up my road last night or down it today because of the snow and ice.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
post #29970 of 47941 Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Cant believe oriellys gave you the day off. I took today off because i couldnt get up my road last night or down it today because of the snow and ice.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
They're trying to keep payroll down, so all part-timers in my district are required to have 2 days off per week, minimum.

Signature rules are dumb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.