What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 198 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #2956
ZJFABN
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps View Post
Chard79- I tried that, but my open end wrench started bending. I also tried a 3/8 hex key but I could get that to budge even with extensions for leverage. I bought a 3/8 bit breaker bar, but that with the t-60. I couldn't get it to fit in the small space. I'm thinking about having my shop do it ( depending how much they want for it).
Did you try when it was hot? Drive around and bring it up to temp then try again.

Unread 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #2957
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Ooo I did not, will try that tho. I don't have to drain the oil right? Only lose what's in the filter than top off after right.
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #2958
Chard79
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Chard79- I tried that, but my open end wrench started bending. I also tried a 3/8 hex key but I could get that to budge even with extensions for leverage. I bought a 3/8 bit breaker bar, but that with the t-60. I couldn't get it to fit in the small space. I'm thinking about having my shop do it ( depending how much they want for it).
yeah, getting it loose is the hardest part. Ive spent hours on em before playing with tool configes and seen master techs ruin expensive tools over it. who ever thought a torx head was best for that huge bolt should be drug out to the street and shot. Torx and Torque oddly DONT mix too well.
lookin back at the pic I should mention, the pic shows the open end of the wrench on the socket head. If you guys use that trick to try breaking it loose.
use the closed end. then switch to open once its loose or youll back the socket into the frame and the wrench will be stuck (I know this is kinda "duh" stuff)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #246
Chard79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #2959
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

I filled er up, 23.555 gallons. I thought it was a 23 gal tank?

Went out of the suburbs and into some more heavily wooded areas(like 30 min away) to get my fix in for wanting to go out of town for real. Got some poser shots, I was limited to what I wanted to play on cuz I didn't have my front driveshaft in.

Also saw some interesting looking trails, but I was in a wildlife refuge area, I didn't wanna get caught.

Then this was one of the roads

I made it!!!!

Here's a exhaust clip. Jegs catback 3" kit and high flow cat
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #2960
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^ ^ where was that at?
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #2961
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71tbi
I filled er up, 23.555 gallons. I thought it was a 23 gal tank?

Went out of the suburbs and into some more heavily wooded areas(like 30 min away) to get my fix in for wanting to go out of town for real. Got some poser shots, I was limited to what I wanted to play on cuz I didn't have my front driveshaft in.

Also saw some interesting looking trails, but I was in a wildlife refuge area, I didn't wanna get caught.

Then this was one of the roads

I made it!!!!

Here's a exhaust clip. Jegs catback 3" kit and high flow cat
So you posted pics of you illegally offroading in a wildlife refuge? Sounds smart.
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #2962
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So you posted pics of you illegally offroading in a wildlife refuge? Sounds smart.
im assuming he meant that if he went on the trails he was thinking about going on, that would be illegal but driving through low maintenance roads is not.
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #2963
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Well I see one picture that is clearly not a road, looks like the middle of a field. Unless this is private land and not the wildlife refuge he speaks of. Oh well.
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #2964
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

The picture, the one with my dog out of the truck, is just off to side of the road (the shoulder technically). It is on a small mound/hill, Im standing in the dirt road. The picture right before that one leads to it. Same "hill" that my front tire is on in the third pic, just a little further down the road. And no I didn't go on any of those "trails." I might of if I had my front driveshaft in. I play it smart, I even saw a dnr guy while I was taken a picture at the lake.

I was at Carlos Avery
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/deta...ing=WMA0900101
On all mapped min maintenance roads, so there......
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #2965
ZJFABN
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Ooo I did not, will try that tho. I don't have to drain the oil right? Only lose what's in the filter than top off after right.
You got it. Its not as fun when its hot but it usually does the trick. Wait for it to cool before you torque it down though.
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #2966
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Changed the radiator, then reassembled it. A process that took 8 hours in its entirety and involved a wrench to my face. The radiator truly only took around 4 hours to swap, the hard part came in getting the damned thermostat housing to not leak. If anyone runs into a situation where the bottom bolt feels like its bottoming out, or you have any kind of a concern about the aluminum housing being compressed or whatever. Stick a couple of washers on each bolt, its what finally worked on the 3rd gasket.

The old radiator was gone, I had been having overheating problems and after getting the old radiator out I'm kinda glad I don't have a functioning temp gauge. The head warped after it boiled over on the po, so I'm glad I got rid of the likely cause of the boil over. (Rebuilt engine with 10k miles since rebuild, radiator ought to last at least 4-5 years since the original mopar is what I replaced.)

Also got the thermostat and the hoses while I was at it, they were all replaced 10k miles ago but since I was replacing the radiator I got the parts to replace them as well.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #2967
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers

I hear Monroe Sensatracs are pretty good, maybe a little soft. I have Reflex's on my 5.9 and it definitely rides firmer than either of our 5.2s.
Definately soft! After driving on them for a day, not liking them much. I'll give them 1 more day, but actually liked the firmer ride of the POS Gabriels. I actually went with Monroe-matic, the "better" choice at Advance Auto and not the Sensa-trac (the "best" choice), but these things feel like I've got no shocks up front. Bouncy Bouncy. Feels like a land yacht!
StidgeInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #2968
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Found out what the Jeep likes...

Unread 06-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #2969
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
Found out what the Jeep likes...
Only 80k?? How'd you manage that?

On topic: I changed back to the Gabriel shocks. Took the blown- out one back to Auto Zone this morning and got a free replacement. I just like the firmer ride they have. The Monroe's were way too soft, especially with firm HD rear shocks. Another hour and a half I spent working on her...she better appreciate it!
StidgeInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #2970
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

When I picked it up a year ago, it only had 65000 on it. BOOBS is a pretty epic mileage.

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.