What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1970 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #29536
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

There's already companies out there that make real wood interior kits if you'll willing to pay the price but may take the fun out of makin' your own.

http://www.carid.com/1996-jeep-grand...m-3146000.html

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #29537
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post

Hmm....What did again? Long day and my searchfu isn't good right now.
Heating up a plastidip can before using it makes the rubber paint thinner, therefor giving a better texture on the painted surface. It really works wonders when done right.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #29538
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95z View Post

Ya ima takin that one! Good idea
Maybe I should've made a few extra sets lol
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #29539
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Heating up a plastidip can before using it makes the rubber paint thinner, therefor giving a better texture on the painted surface. It really works wonders when done right.
Correct, and if it's too cold (like been sitting out in the garage in this weather) it won't go on right at all.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #29540
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Finally renewed my paid membership......oh yeah and ordered up some goodies from Kolak
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #29541
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
There's already companies out there that make real wood interior kits if you'll willing to pay the price but may take the fun out of makin' your own.

http://www.carid.com/1996-jeep-grand...m-3146000.html
Yeah, but that's just fake stick-on stuff.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #29542
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Yeah, but that's just fake stick-on stuff.
Sorry my mistake and guess when I saw "real wood" didn't really notice "finish" attached. Need to wake up before I post...

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #29543
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb

Sorry my mistake and guess when I saw "real wood" didn't really notice "finish" attached. Need to wake up before I post...
There is one guy I know of making his own out of real wood. He has the shift knob done so far. The other trim is wrapped in 3m vinyl, but I think he plans on doing all of it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #29544
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
There is one guy I know of making his own out of real wood. He has the shift knob done so far. The other trim is wrapped in 3m vinyl, but I think he plans on doing all of it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
See, something like that is what I mean. I've even considered doing the upper half of the steering wheel as such.

Of course, I'd probably use a different finish- something a bit darker- but the idea is there.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #29545
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Pulled off the TB and cleaned it and the iac. Looking down and I got a kegger full of oil from bad plenum. If it worth it to replace the gasket without doing a full plenum fix? Should take a few years to fail again right?

These are all I need to do the job yes? http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-MS9539...1&s=automotive

I'm a little cashflow challenged right now but I've got some amazon credit leftover from xmas.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #29546
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Looks like the right gaskets to me
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #29547
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Pulled off the TB and cleaned it and the iac. Looking down and I got a kegger full of oil from bad plenum. If it worth it to replace the gasket without doing a full plenum fix? Should take a few years to fail again right?

These are all I need to do the job yes? http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-MS9539...1&s=automotive

I'm a little cashflow challenged right now but I've got some amazon credit leftover from xmas.
That looks right. I would replace the whole thing with the hughes kit If it were me. However, I think it's Newfie who just replaced the gasket and applies some gasket sealer to both sides and reported that it's been fine for a couple years so far. You will need some new bolts too. And don't use those end gaskets, just lay a really thick bead of RTV in their place.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #29548
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That looks right. I would replace the whole thing with the hughes kit If it were me. However, I think it's Newfie who just replaced the gasket and applies some gasket sealer to both sides and reported that it's been fine for a couple years so far. You will need some new bolts too. And don't use those end gaskets, just lay a really thick bead of RTV in their place.
Come help with mine in exchange for venison.....lol
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #29549
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I like the end gaskets. I did put a big booger of RTV between them and the side gaskets, though. The Hughes kit is nice, but for half the price you can get one from Brian that's the exact same thing (plus you'd be supporting a local vendor so ).
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #29550
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If I had the $$ I'd be putting new plates in both of them, but if I had the $$ I'd also be putting the M1 intake on the niner and claytons on the green one.

I'm between jobs so plenty of time and no money. I have a gift card thats funding my amazon parts spree.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.