What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1959 - JeepForum.com

 143Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #29371 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
I use a 70 amp with mine as well. Do I think it would burn up a 30/40 amp relay? Probably not. Like I said before, it doesn't blow the 40 amp fuse I have inline with the power. I run #10 for the power for both of them just because that's what I had around. #10 is good for 40 amps, according to the NEC. I'm fused properly for the wiring I'm running even though the NEC does not govern automotive electricity. I'm an electrical field service engineer and have seen too many people overestimate current carrying capabilities of Cu wire all too often. All of this being said, when I get my new amp clamp, I'm going to see what kind of current draw I actually have with my high speed fan. If it's more than 32 amps, I'll up my wire size and fusing appropriately. A consistent load of 80% or more of the fuse and wire ampacity should not be ran.
I might end up using a 40 amp fuse for now since it's the only one I can find in any parts store lol. One last question though, for the on/off/on switch I'm going to be using for the Efan does the wires from the relay to the switch itself need to be the same size as the Efan power wire? Or an it be smaller?


Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roughknight69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29372 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
]


I'm an electrical field service engineer and have seen too many people overestimate current carrying capabilities of Cu wire all too often.

All of this being said, when I get my new amp clamp, I'm going to see what kind of current draw I actually have with my high speed fan. If it's more than 32 amps, I'll up my wire size and fusing appropriately. A consistent load of 80% or more of the fuse and wire ampacity should not be ran.
Oh for sure, but I keep seeing people running 12ga wire for door speakers and 0ga wire from battery to 600w amp and 10ga wire for power sockets and such. Just figure the right gauge of wire and use that, no need to go overboard. It's cheaper, lighter, and easier to wire, if you're working with the right size rather than 4 sizes too big.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29373 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Darkrocker
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vassalboro
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Oh for sure, but I keep seeing people running 12ga wire for door speakers and 0ga wire from battery to 600w amp and 10ga wire for power sockets and such. Just figure the right gauge of wire and use that, no need to go overboard. It's cheaper, lighter, and easier to wire, if you're working with the right size rather than 4 sizes too big.
There's nothing wrong with going one size larger just in case, but I stop it there. I'm currently experiencing why it's good to avoid using oversized wire. Routing heavy gauge wire when it's 9 degrees out is a pain.

1994 ZJ Laredo, Jenny: 4.0l - NP231 - 9/2012 to 12/2013 - 183k to 203k miles R.I.P.
1998 ZJ Laredo, Judy: 4.0l - NP242 - 1/2014 to present - My Daily
Darkrocker is offline  
post #29374 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
txbass06
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana
Posts: 602
Cursed at it because I found a pretty good chunk of paint missing over my rear wheel. Guess bed lining it is going to happen sooner rather than later
txbass06 is offline  
post #29375 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
scooterb57
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
Cursed at it because I found a pretty good chunk of paint missing over my rear wheel. Guess bed lining it is going to happen sooner rather than later

This is literally exactly what happened to mine. It sucks when you first find out, but it gives you an excuse to put on some rhinoliner
scooterb57 is offline  
post #29376 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
txbass06
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana
Posts: 602
I've been kicking around the idea of pulling all the cladding off and lining that area but was going to put it off until tax time next year
txbass06 is offline  
post #29377 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post
There's nothing wrong with going one size larger just in case, but I stop it there. I'm currently experiencing why it's good to avoid using oversized wire. Routing heavy gauge wire when it's 9 degrees out is a pain.
One size up for safety factor is one thing, and it's a good idea, but damn, there should be a cutoff point.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29378 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
ampacity

did not know that was a word

now i just need to say it in a sentence around non techy people 0-o lol

97 zj orvis/04 wj ltd/02 lancer oz rally/85 rx7 gs
970001zj is offline  
post #29379 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Hit 200,000 miles today but couldnt get a pic because i was in a hurry to get home to a busted water line that flooded the garage basement and kids playroom.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29380 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 PM
jayheats
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 78
Relocated my brake lines on my ZJ, lowered about 1.5 inches

1998 White Grand Cherokee
jayheats is offline  
post #29381 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Maine1994ZJ
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phippsburg, Maine
Posts: 845
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it.....
WTF??
She's PISSED!!!!!
THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess....
And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....

'93 V8 ZJ Mountain Goat Edition.
'95 V8 ZJ Limited, '97 4.0L ZJ TSi
'96 4.0L 2wd XJ, '88 4.2L YJ
Maine1994ZJ is offline  
post #29382 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it..... WTF?? She's PISSED!!!!! THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess.... And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....
Time for the tj fuel bezel mod!

Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roughknight69 is offline  
post #29383 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
moparlover1992
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Whittemore
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
Cursed at it because I found a pretty good chunk of paint missing over my rear wheel. Guess bed lining it is going to happen sooner rather than later
I just used a factory touch up paint brush thing u can get at the parts store and filled them in and built them up with several coats and no one comments on it on mine. Lol. In fact I forget it's there til I'm close up

95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline  
post #29384 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
jeepmojo
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Roseville
Posts: 368
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it.....
WTF??
She's PISSED!!!!!
THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess....
And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....
Been there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Time for the tj fuel bezel mod!


Done That!!

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys a Jeep. And I ain't ever seen a sad person in a Jeep!!
jeepmojo is offline  
post #29385 of 46075 Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
txbass06
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post

I just used a factory touch up paint brush thing u can get at the parts store and filled them in and built them up with several coats and no one comments on it on mine. Lol. In fact I forget it's there til I'm close up
That's what I'm gonna do for the time being. Just to keep any rust out of there
txbass06 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 44 10-28-2016 08:24 AM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 02:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 01:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 10:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 02:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome