What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1943 - JeepForum.com

 115Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #29131 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,504
That is great. Never had a bad experience with O'reily yet. Sears always gives out new tools.

PolkaPower is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29132 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
OCDComputing
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 81
Drove it to the gas station and found it didn't have power...decided to wait until tomorrow since it is -5F !! Too dang cold to pump gas!
OCDComputing is offline  
post #29133 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Got my marker lights in the mail today and finally got them wired up and mounted.
Name:  IMG_20131230_220830.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  44.8 KB

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29134 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM
AnotherRedZj
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fort walton beach
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That is great. Never had a bad experience with O'reily yet. Sears always gives out new tools.
That's why most of my tools come from there (i play rough)! Their jus lucky I bought the 1/2" 36mm socket and not the 3/4" lol. Then they woulda probably been giving me a $100 socket wrench instead of $30 breaker bar!!

96 ZJ sittin up 6" on 35's with 4:56's and a 12k winch. Cuz...why the hell not!?
AnotherRedZj is offline  
post #29135 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Buy your tools from Sears. Hassle-free warranty alone is worth the money. Not to mention I've never broken a socket, just ratchets. And I have a nasty tendency to use an impact wrench with chrome sockets.

As for O'Reilly, we try. Today I helped a guy install a serpentine belt on his duramax after his second that day disintegrated (warrantied him 2 belts off the first one he bought) and then pointed out the belts kept going bad because he had a bad idler. He just thought he was getting ripped off with low quality belts, but sure enough, it was a $25 idler pulley. Oh, and we price-match any brick-and-mortar competitor, based on warranty length. Found the same warranty part from AutoZone for cheaper? Tell your O'Reilly parts guy and he'll call over to Autozone and price match them. Hell, I've called Autozone to find parts for a customer we didn't have available.

The trick is, they pay us a bit better at O'Reilly than they do at Vatozone.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29136 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Buy your tools from Sears. Hassle-free warranty alone is worth the money. Not to mention I've never broken a socket, just ratchets. And I have a nasty tendency to use an impact wrench with chrome sockets.

As for O'Reilly, we try. Today I helped a guy install a serpentine belt on his duramax after his second that day disintegrated (warrantied him 2 belts off the first one he bought) and then pointed out the belts kept going bad because he had a bad idler. He just thought he was getting ripped off with low quality belts, but sure enough, it was a $25 idler pulley. Oh, and we price-match any brick-and-mortar competitor, based on warranty length. Found the same warranty part from AutoZone for cheaper? Tell your O'Reilly parts guy and he'll call over to Autozone and price match them. Hell, I've called Autozone to find parts for a customer we didn't have available.

The trick is, they pay us a bit better at O'Reilly than they do at Vatozone.
Advance auto is the same way. When i was the asst manager i actually took commercial customers from zone and riellys both because i took care of the customer as far as warranty and i tracked down parts that nobody could find. Ive called everywhere around town and different states for warranty and if they have been good customers if it was our part i took care of the warranty. When i left advance lost a lot of customers and garage accounts because they would only deal with me. I got paid better then any of the parts pros in advance because of my work.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29137 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Advance auto is the same way. When i was the asst manager i actually took commercial customers from zone and riellys both because i took care of the customer as far as warranty and i tracked down parts that nobody could find. Ive called everywhere around town and different states for warranty and if they have been good customers if it was our part i took care of the warranty. When i left advance lost a lot of customers and garage accounts because they would only deal with me. I got paid better then any of the parts pros in advance because of my work.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
See, ever since the last manager of my store left we've lost a lot of commercial and some walk-in sales because the new manager is a useless ******* whose only good quality is his ability to force packets of brake grease on people so he has high related sales. We were almost to the point with our commercial to where we could justify a full-time Installer Service Specialist to handle commercial only. Now AutoZone has what used to be our business. Pretty much all because Keith doesn't know what he's doing, and Harold our new guy is really slow getting deliveries done.

Now, I'm the lowest-paid guy at my store, at $8/hr. If I was at the local Autozone I'd be the same as everyone at minimum wage.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29138 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

See, ever since the last manager of my store left we've lost a lot of commercial and some walk-in sales because the new manager is a useless ******* whose only good quality is his ability to force packets of brake grease on people so he has high related sales. We were almost to the point with our commercial to where we could justify a full-time Installer Service Specialist to handle commercial only. Now AutoZone has what used to be our business. Pretty much all because Keith doesn't know what he's doing, and Harold our new guy is really slow getting deliveries done.

Now, I'm the lowest-paid guy at my store, at $8/hr. If I was at the local Autozone I'd be the same as everyone at minimum wage.
When i left i was making $15.75 an hr. We had our commercial manager that had been there for 30 yrs and he was onlh making $14 an hr. Our oriellys manager is keith too and he knows nothing about cars.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29139 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
When i left i was making $15.75 an hr. We had our commercial manager that had been there for 30 yrs and he was onlh making $14 an hr. Our oriellys manager is keith too and he knows nothing about cars.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Lucky son of a gun. Our highest-paid employee is making $12-something an hour as Assistant Store Manager. Keith, the SM, is salaried and knows nothing about cars, just force sales.

The way things are looking, what with our new district manager as well, hours will continue to be slashed, no more raises will be given out, and we may potentially lose even more benefits, depending on what corporate says. Needless to say, we're all getting pretty burned out at my store and most of us are seeking new employment. Just today was one of my coworkers' last day with the company. He didn't even call in, just didn't show up. Of course, what are they gonna do? Fire him? The company's culture is falling to the wayside, with shareholder profits taking over as the focus. Makes me sick.


In other news, dammit where's my money? It's supposed to have deposited by now. I need that so I can buy my Orvis!

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29140 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Lucky son of a gun. Our highest-paid employee is making $12-something an hour as Assistant Store Manager. Keith, the SM, is salaried and knows nothing about cars, just force sales.

The way things are looking, what with our new district manager as well, hours will continue to be slashed, no more raises will be given out, and we may potentially lose even more benefits, depending on what corporate says. Needless to say, we're all getting pretty burned out at my store and most of us are seeking new employment. Just today was one of my coworkers' last day with the company. He didn't even call in, just didn't show up. Of course, what are they gonna do? Fire him? The company's culture is falling to the wayside, with shareholder profits taking over as the focus. Makes me sick.

In other news, dammit where's my money? It's supposed to have deposited by now. I need that so I can buy my Orvis!
Thats the way that my sm was. He didnt care about my $2 -$3000 days everyday that i worked sales wise but how many project packs i could sell. I flat told him and corporate both either i keep selling the way i am or i stop and sell nothing but these f****** packs of s*** and you lose your bonus. I took a good sized pay cut when i left down to $12.50 an hr but i couldnt put up with the way that corporate was trying to do things. I went in to close 1 day went to lunch and didnt go back. I seen the district manager a week later and he asked me why i left and i told him i wasnt dealing with the s*** management and the micro-managing from college kids who had never been in a store trying to set goals and other stupid rules and told him to f off.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29141 of 45328 Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
Thats the way that my sm was. He didnt care about my $2 -$3000 days everyday that i worked sales wise but how many project packs i could sell. I flat told him and corporate both either i keep selling the way i am or i stop and sell nothing but these f****** packs of s*** and you lose your bonus. I took a good sized pay cut when i left down to $12.50 an hr but i couldnt put up with the way that corporate was trying to do things. I went in to close 1 day went to lunch and didnt go back. I seen the district manager a week later and he asked me why i left and i told him i wasnt dealing with the s*** management and the micro-managing from college kids who had never been in a store trying to set goals and other stupid rules and told him to f off.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Keith only says 2 things: RPMS and Payroll. (RPMS - Related Products Maximize Sales) "You need to get your RPMS up. You're doing well on your RPMS, I want to thank you. We have the highest RPMS in the district. We need higher RPMS." and "We strugglin' to make payroll." "I need you to take your lunch so we can meet payroll." "We need to get payroll down."

Now, the payroll part isn't all Keith's fault- that's orders from the DM, Joey. But damn I'm sick of being told we need better RPMS. I'm not gonna shove these products down peoples' throats. They come in looking to buy the things they need to fix their cars, not spend an additional $1.43 on brake grease. (By the way, in dry climates, brake grease is bull****. You don't need it unless you're getting snow and salt into your caliper pins, and even then, any silicone lube works)

You can ask any O'Reilly retail employee what the one biggest problem with their job is, and I guarantee they'll say it's the management. The only people in retail positions who think the management is okay is the store managers, and even then some of them know the management sucks. My last manager is on the level with all his employees. Upper management has no idea what they're doing. A lot of the store managers are screwed, but the DMs and RM are totally screwed. Damn corporate pigs.

I need to find someplace hiring for better money and hours. I really want to get out of the retail game while I'm at it.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #29142 of 45328 Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 AM
big98tnzj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elizabethton
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Keith only says 2 things: RPMS and Payroll. (RPMS - Related Products Maximize Sales) "You need to get your RPMS up. You're doing well on your RPMS, I want to thank you. We have the highest RPMS in the district. We need higher RPMS." and "We strugglin' to make payroll." "I need you to take your lunch so we can meet payroll." "We need to get payroll down."

Now, the payroll part isn't all Keith's fault- that's orders from the DM, Joey. But damn I'm sick of being told we need better RPMS. I'm not gonna shove these products down peoples' throats. They come in looking to buy the things they need to fix their cars, not spend an additional $1.43 on brake grease. (By the way, in dry climates, brake grease is bull****. You don't need it unless you're getting snow and salt into your caliper pins, and even then, any silicone lube works)

You can ask any O'Reilly retail employee what the one biggest problem with their job is, and I guarantee they'll say it's the management. The only people in retail positions who think the management is okay is the store managers, and even then some of them know the management sucks. My last manager is on the level with all his employees. Upper management has no idea what they're doing. A lot of the store managers are screwed, but the DMs and RM are totally screwed. Damn corporate pigs.

I need to find someplace hiring for better money and hours. I really want to get out of the retail game while I'm at it.
Theres a lot of the people that come in and barely have the money for the parts that they need to fix their car to get back and forth to work and i see no reason in shoving a bunch of add on sales bull in their face just because corporate wants us to. There are times when the benefit from it but not very much or many times. Thats why i got out. 4yrs was enough for me. Now i turn wrenches and love it.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline  
post #29143 of 45328 Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 AM
txbass06
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana
Posts: 602
Gave it an anniversary bath and topped off the tank since the 29th was our 1-year together lol
txbass06 is offline  
post #29144 of 45328 Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
95z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
Gave it an anniversary bath and topped off the tank since the 29th was our 1-year together lol
Precious!!
95z is offline  
post #29145 of 45328 Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget
 
underpowered's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: northern kentucky
Posts: 3,037
wheeled it saturday night and junked a wheelbearing.

so today i replaced the unit bearing and the CV shaft while i was at it as the boot was ripped. keeping it as a spare

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
underpowered is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 40 08-12-2016 07:36 AM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 01:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 12:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 09:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome