What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1924 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #28846
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

And flex, ground clearance, looks is for damn sure, the worth of the Jeep name plate on it....... Jeep is going downhill and they are doing it real fast. When they came out with the Patriot and Compass they may as well have just closed up shop. There is talk of an IFS wrangler. Really? Shame on Jeep

Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #28847
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
And flex, ground clearance, looks is for damn sure, the worth of the Jeep name plate on it....... Jeep is going downhill and they are doing it real fast. When they came out with the Patriot and Compass they may as well have just closed up shop. There is talk of an IFS wrangler. Really? Shame on Jeep
From what i have heard the 2016 wrangler is going to be IFS. Thsy said the straight axle weighed too much and the ifs was a much better suited setup then the straight was and more reliable for todays modern needs of the new vehicles

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #28848
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

lol right so they are taking what used to be an off road capable weekend worrier in stock form and turning it into a prius with larger tires. Good job Jeep! This actually does work for us though. The new junk coming out is only going to bring the price of the old stuff up. Anyone know of a 6" long arm IFS lift? LOL it pisses me off to no end what they are doing. Jeep will lose it's name and respect as an off road animal in no time at all.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #28849
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Jeez all this because I was next to one in traffic today..... lol
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #28850
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

I just seen that they tried comparing the ifs in the 2016 to the hummer h1 with independent front and rear suspension. Its supposed to out wheel and out perform any other 4wheel drive on the planet and they said the only thing that might get hurt with the change is the aftermarket companies because the coil sprung suspension is what everybody wants and going with upper and lower control arms and torsion bars like the yotas and nissans is going to end up running jeep into the ground

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #28851
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Jeez all this because I was next to one in traffic today..... lol
Yep its all your fault this got started. Oh well its better then nothing at all

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #28852
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

You know, Toyota and Nissan guys have been making do with IFS for decades. And they've been doing really well. Same for more fringe 4x4s like Isuzus. Flex is a useless concept when you can do as much as a modern vehicle can with a wheel in the air. Not to mention just how long the control arms are on a lot of IFS vehicles. You know how my buddy with the Rodeo puts a 2-3" lift on his truck? He puts a set of bigger coils in the back and tightens his torsion bars in the front. Boom, 3". And of all the things that ever got my Pathfinder stuck, the front end's supposed inability to drop a tire onto the ground was never one of them. Land Rover has been making all-independent suspension vehicles for some time now, and I'd put the Range Rover on par with the Grand Cherokee. I'd say they're the most direct rivals of the bunch.

And all of this is without even mentioning the NP242HD-equipped H1. You know, the independent suspension vehicle that uses a beefed up version of the desirable transfer case in a ZJ.

People who talk all this mess about this thing or the other are the real losers here. Sorry that you're so backward and set on your narrow ideas of the world. The only reason you could possibly think that way is because you've never experienced anything else and are too closed-minded to want to try. Trade your ZJ in for a CJ5 and enjoy all the "flex" you could ever want.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #28853
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Ive had cjs ifs and straight axle toyotas a couple of nissan trucks and a isuzu trooper that ifs and out of everything i would have to say that i would take straight axle over any ifs any day of the week. Even the real h1 hummer the military uses is no comparison to the straight axle and ive driven my share of hummers when i was in iraq and afghanistan. Ive been through pretty much anything and everything and imo theres no comparison ti straight axle

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #28854
rockride
1995 ZJ 

I ripped the frozen doors open since it is below 0deg F here. Then the door creeks. I will turn it over tomorrow to make sure it starts. The 5.2 always starts for me.
rockride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #28855
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
lol right so they are taking what used to be an off road capable weekend worrier in stock form and turning it into a prius with larger tires. Good job Jeep! This actually does work for us though. The new junk coming out is only going to bring the price of the old stuff up. Anyone know of a 6" long arm IFS lift? LOL it pisses me off to no end what they are doing. Jeep will lose it's name and respect as an off road animal in no time at all.
Don't blame Jeep, Chrysler, or even Fiat for that. The government is cracking down hard on automakers to get vehicles to meet their CAFE standards.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #28856
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Was going to take a look at the broken steering wheel lock, opened the front door to the house, felt the cold, closed the door. Guess I'll go watch the hobbit instead

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #28857
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Damn people got some pent up rage. Half the people raging about the new Cherokee probably can't even afford one lmao let it die already last time I checked people were swapping solid axles under ifs vehicles not the other way around. Yes the cherokee will be a better daily driver but wouldn't want my zj to be the it would suck off road lol.
93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #28858
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
I just seen that they tried comparing the ifs in the 2016 to the hummer h1 with independent front and rear suspension. Its supposed to out wheel and out perform any other 4wheel drive on the planet and they said the only thing that might get hurt with the change is the aftermarket companies because the coil sprung suspension is what everybody wants and going with upper and lower control arms and torsion bars like the yotas and nissans is going to end up running jeep into the ground

You know the H1 is terrible in anything but sand right? I watched a video of a stock H1 struck on a rock while a stock TJ walked past it with no problem lol. The H1 is great for what its built for. They do power through the mud pretty well in most cases though.
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #28859
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

You know the H1 is terrible in anything but sand right? I watched a video of a stock H1 struck on a rock while a stock TJ walked past it with no problem lol. The H1 is great for what its built for. They do power through the mud pretty well in most cases though.
The h1 was great for power and running through the sandy desert but they were comparing the new ifs wrangler to the h1 suspension. I dont think it stands a chance in hell climbing with the ifs as far as stock goes but longer control arms bj flips and spacers then it might be a decent rig but thats a lot of cash and mods and a lot easier to break on the trails

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #28860
jeepmojo
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Don't blame Jeep, Chrysler, or even Fiat for that. The government is cracking down hard on automakers to get vehicles to meet their CAFE standards.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.