What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 191 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #2851
ZJFABN
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Yeah, but I like my 249 (...let the flaming begin...). Who's to say if I got a JY 249 that the VC is bad or is going to go bad relatively soon? I'd feel more comfortable getting a new VC and putting it in my 249, when the situation arises.
You like wasting gas? No turning back after I got 2wd. You can only get a new VC from the dealer and they're $1100. Take your chances on a jy 249 going bad (if it isnt already when you get it) or get a 231 or 242 that bolts right in for under $200. To me its a no brainer.

ZJFABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #2852
aircruiser
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Yeah, but I like my 249 (...let the flaming begin...). Who's to say if I got a JY 249 that the VC is bad or is going to go bad relatively soon? I'd feel more comfortable getting a new VC and putting it in my 249, when the situation arises.
was talking about a 242 haha, that way you still get the AWD. i agree i do like having AWD but miss 2WD.
__________________
1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #2853
TheHalfWit
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 695
Swapped my injectors to 703's, and removed the odd thrumming caused by the old injector's gradually dying. I also eliminated some of what I thought was an exhaust leak with it, the exhaust leak is still there but the injectors are no longer adding to the noise. With the fuel filter, and the new injector's its running a lot smoother then it was. (My driver side mirror is no longer vibrating at idle.)

Swapped the radio over to a sony CDX-GT700HD, got my FM radio back and I can finally shoot the damned cassette adapter I've been making do with. Sounds 10x better then stock with just the receiver alone, next on my list is repair the wiring to the left rear speaker (The wiring to that door has been a problem for 5+ years) then replace all the speakers, add 2 amps and a woofer.

Also I finally got around to declogging my evaporator drain, had a freaking pool by the time it was done draining. Finally no more sloshing while I'm driving, and my feet don't get wet. (It was so backed up it was coming out the vents.)
__________________
Calm. C.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #2854
Dyn0mitemat
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC, Oh
Posts: 1,292
Your not giong to save much, if any, gas swapping from a 249 to a 242/231 as all the rotating mass is still there, unless you put hubs in that you can unlock.
And a good condition 249 is stronger than a stock 242/231, as well as a good all around and dd/mild trail use tc
__________________
98 ZJ: Built 44/88, long arm'd, locked, 35s, armour, blah blah blah
Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/green-zj-aka-jolly-green-giant-1386118/
Dyn0mitemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #2855
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Your not giong to save much, if any, gas swapping from a 249 to a 242/231 as all the rotating mass is still there, unless you put hubs in that you can unlock.
And a good condition 249 is stronger than a stock 242/231, as well as a good all around and dd/mild trail use tc
This. You're going to get the same gas mileage with any of the transfer cases, unless you get manual locking hubs for 2 wheel drive. Even in 2 wheel drive, the front axle is turning which caused the front DS to spin. As stated here, same moving mass applies in 2 wheel drive as in 4 wheel drive. The 249 from 96-98 is also the strongest stock TC of the ZJ generation. I don't plan on modding my TC so for strength, the 249 is best for me.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #2856
csouers
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz

This. You're going to get the same gas mileage with any of the transfer cases, unless you get manual locking hubs for 2 wheel drive. Even in 2 wheel drive, the front axle is turning which caused the front DS to spin. As stated here, same moving mass applies in 2 wheel drive as in 4 wheel drive. The 249 from 96-98 is also the strongest stock TC of the ZJ generation. I don't plan on modding my TC so for strength, the 249 is best for me.
Unless the 249s VC has failed. If that is the case, I can see a minor improvement. The swap in my 5.2 made a minor difference of 1 or so mpgs. Steering when not moving or moving slowly also improved greatly. With the 249, I could literally feel the bind when coasting. That went away with the 242 swap.

A properly functioning 249 will get the same mileage as a 242. It also won't wear your tires to hell, hence why I pulled my niner's front ds.
__________________
1998 Bright Platinum ZJ 5.9 Limited - 5.9l, 46RE, NV-242, D30/44a (Trac-Loc) w/3.73s - The DD
1999 White XJ Sport - 4.0l, AW4, NP-231, D30/8.25 w/3.55s - The Rig

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #2857
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,075
As of right now, my VC is functioning properly. I've thought about a 242 swap but it's more than just getting the TC from a donor. I'd have to do that, get the linkage, and make it properly display on my VIC. For me, it's worth the $500 that I'd pay for a new VC online, not at the dealership. Most TCs around JYs here seem to run about $200 or so. I'd spend an extra $300 for one that I know is going to work properly for the next 15 years rather than spend $200 and get one that could die in the next 6 months or work for 15 years. It's a gamble I don't want to take. Dropping a TC isn't something I particularly care to do on my day off. I'd rather do it once and do it right, regardless of cost.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #2858
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
As of right now, my VC is functioning properly. I've thought about a 242 swap but it's more than just getting the TC from a donor. I'd have to do that, get the linkage, and make it properly display on my VIC. For me, it's worth the $500 that I'd pay for a new VC online, not at the dealership. Most TCs around JYs here seem to run about $200 or so. I'd spend an extra $300 for one that I know is going to work properly for the next 15 years rather than spend $200 and get one that could die in the next 6 months or work for 15 years. It's a gamble I don't want to take. Dropping a TC isn't something I particularly care to do on my day off. I'd rather do it once and do it right, regardless of cost.
i would agree with that. i said i would be repairing my 249 myself, but i bought a 242 for $80, spend $100 on a complete bearing and seal kit and i know it will last for 15 years for basically half the cost of a vc alone.

its all about finding the deal, there was recently a working 231 here for 60$. i kick myself for not buying that one too.
i thought my VC was ok, not binding but pushing a little and wearing the outside of my fronts.
after i lifted i was eliminating vibes and pulled my front shaft to drive around the block. there was a noticeable difference in ease of steering.
pull the front shaft and your "good" vc probably isn't as good as you think.
i dont want to drop $900 on rubber just to have them trashed.

On topic: removing that 242s rollpin, is the roll pin threaded on the tcase end?
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/speedbuckets-zj-build-1361322/
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #2859
csouers
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket

On topic: removing that 242s rollpin, is the roll pin threaded on the tcase end?
nope. Just mashed in there. A lot of times you can just force the forks around the sector without taking the shaft out. Removing and installing it is a PITA.
__________________
1998 Bright Platinum ZJ 5.9 Limited - 5.9l, 46RE, NV-242, D30/44a (Trac-Loc) w/3.73s - The DD
1999 White XJ Sport - 4.0l, AW4, NP-231, D30/8.25 w/3.55s - The Rig

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #2860
BigMannyJr
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMannyJr
Just got my zj out of the shop. Had my D35 replaced with a rebuilt one
Cost $750 parts & labor. Need a new transfer case. My 249 was acting up only when pulling in parking spaces, now with new rear the front is acting up all the time. If I pull the front drive shaft on my '94 zj & use e-brake will I be ok until February?
Front shaft is out & due to my fried 249 my MPG average went from 18 to 21. I'll roll like this until I can get a new to me 231 or 242. I'm still playin' catch-up from when the "recession" hit.
BigMannyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #2861
BlueDevil
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 680
Swapped all 4 speakers. Got a deal on 4 new Pioneer 17cm so swapped all 4. Finally no more rattling.
Also added coolant since my rad-cap-episode from 2 days ago, as back then I only added (demineralized) water, so I added 1 liter of ready-to-use antifreeze to it. Should be good for the summer. Going to the trip this afternoon after work, hoping all goes well...
__________________
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
* 1994 ZJ (by VIN) with a 1995 engine (PO knows why)
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #2862
Obie95Sahara
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 436
Nothing major, just cleaned the inside a little bit... But I did wait around all day yesterday for U.P.S. to show up with the new wheels I ordered... When they dropped them off I was rather upset when I saw that they sent me the wrong bolt pattern
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #2863
ZJOwner96
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie95Sahara
Nothing major, just cleaned the inside a little bit... But I did wait around all day yesterday for U.P.S. to show up with the new wheels I ordered... When they dropped them off I was rather upset when I saw that they sent me the wrong bolt pattern
Yeah I would be calling the company and going ham on they assess. Money is to tight for people to be getting it wrong. Now you gotta wait for a return label and all. What kinda wheels
ZJOwner96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #2864
Obie95Sahara
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJOwner96 View Post
Yeah I would be calling the company and going ham on they assess. Money is to tight for people to be getting it wrong. Now you gotta wait for a return label and all. What kinda wheels
I got a set of Mickey Thompson Classic II's.. I called them yesterday, they're sending another set out & the U.P.S. driver is taking the wrong ones with him to send back. It just sucks that they verified 5x4.5 three times on the phone & they sent out 5x4.75.
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #2865
ZJOwner96
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 83
Gotta love it.
ZJOwner96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.