What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1881 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #28201
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRedZj
Me likey!
Yeh, that's way better than the blingy crap the dealers around here are flogging. I kinda like the subtlety to it.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #28202
Platinum5nine
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middle Island, NY
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Currently its -0.2°F where I live, overnight high is supposed to be -16°F. Really need to swap out my 15w40 summer oil for 10w30......
Read your owners manual, 15-40 is not a good idea ever. 15-40 is diesel oil, made for lower RPM, does not lubricate properly at higher RPM, and is to thick for our engines. I run 10-30 year round, thats what the manual says thats what i do. 197K miles on my niner, obviously works.
__________________
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #28203
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
Aren't the dragon jk's a Chinese only jeep?
Originally they were only for the Chinese market. They decided to start selling them in the states.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #28204
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Read your owners manual, 15-40 is not a good idea ever. 15-40 is diesel oil, made for lower RPM, does not lubricate properly at higher RPM, and is to thick for our engines. I run 10-30 year round, thats what the manual says thats what i do. 197K miles on my niner, obviously works.
Runs fine for me, in the summer at least. Sadly I live in the land of 100 degree summers & 30 below winters. I will probably change oil tomorrow since I'm sure the wife will need to nap when we get home.

Also, I run it in my bike and that engine spins a lot faster than my 5.2 does.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #28205
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Runs fine for me, in the summer at least. Sadly I live in the land of 100 degree summers & 30 below winters. I will probably change oil tomorrow since I'm sure the wife will need to nap when we get home.

Also, I run it in my bike and that engine spins a lot faster than my 5.2 does.
15W40 is the recommended oil weight for the Ford Powerstroke engine. It's a great thick oil that sticks to the walls and bearings of high-compression, low-revving diesels with wide tolerances and heavy duty oil pumps. It's not a lot of fun for the low-capacity oil pump in your Jeep, especially at speed and when it gets any colder than 100 degrees out. You're sapping power and straining your oil pump for an oil that costs more and doesn't lubricate as well.

If you're really concerned, I suggest a 10W40 for summer use and 10W30 at the highest for winter use. 5W40 synthetic would be better, considering you're in Minnesota, but synthetic oil is expensive and can exacerbate any leaks. A 15 weight oil in a frozen engine is not fun for any of the moving parts.

I had a guy come in a few weeks ago looking for oil for his 5.4 Ford van. He said it had 97,000 miles and that there was no way the recommended 5W20 is thick enough and grabbed some 10W40. According to a coworker, he came in two days ago looking for an oil pump for the same. Tritons are picky motors, but the point remains.

In other news, I really like the dragon edition. I say there's nothing wrong with a little decoration on a Jeep. I'm more a Rubicon guy than Sahara, but both are fine vehicles and I happen to really like black with gold trim.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #28206
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
15W40 is the recommended oil weight for the Ford Powerstroke engine. It's a great thick oil that sticks to the walls and bearings of high-compression, low-revving diesels with wide tolerances and heavy duty oil pumps. It's not a lot of fun for the low-capacity oil pump in your Jeep, especially at speed and when it gets any colder than 100 degrees out. You're sapping power and straining your oil pump for an oil that costs more and doesn't lubricate as well.

If you're really concerned, I suggest a 10W40 for summer use and 10W30 at the highest for winter use. 5W40 synthetic would be better, considering you're in Minnesota, but synthetic oil is expensive and can exacerbate any leaks. A 15 weight oil in a frozen engine is not fun for any of the moving parts.

I had a guy come in a few weeks ago looking for oil for his 5.4 Ford van. He said it had 97,000 miles and that there was no way the recommended 5W20 is thick enough and grabbed some 10W40. According to a coworker, he came in two days ago looking for an oil pump for the same. Tritons are picky motors, but the point remains.

In other news, I really like the dragon edition. I say there's nothing wrong with a little decoration on a Jeep. I'm more a Rubicon guy than Sahara, but both are fine vehicles and I happen to really like black with gold trim.
Garage floor definately shows the leaks it has. Also seems to be burning some, I guess its time to finally check the plenum.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #28207
Platinum5nine
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middle Island, NY
Posts: 510
Get the aluminum pan for it otherwise plan on replacing the gasket every few years. With the aluminum pan you should never have to do it again.
__________________
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #28208
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,143
Get the aluminum pan from the guy on thespeedfreaks.net or eBay. It's the same guy. I'd rather support a guy making them than a large company making them. That's just me though. When I got mine, the Hughes kit was coming with Dorman gaskets. I got mine from thespeedfreaks.net and picked up all Felpro stuff for the same price as the Hughes kit.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #28209
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.
 
MaintMech's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 540
Put it in 4 High a couple of days ago.

Probably will stay there until ........







April?
__________________
'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #28210
hondakilla98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Beaverton, or
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Get the aluminum pan from the guy on thespeedfreaks.net or eBay. It's the same guy. I'd rather support a guy making them than a large company making them. That's just me though. When I got mine, the Hughes kit was coming with Dorman gaskets. I got mine from thespeedfreaks.net and picked up all Felpro stuff for the same price as the Hughes kit.
If you get Ahold off him, let me know. I tried contacting him a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything yet.
__________________
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #28211
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post
If you get Ahold off him, let me know. I tried contacting him a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything yet.
Just get the hughes kit. It's got everything.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #28212
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Get the aluminum pan from the guy on thespeedfreaks.net or eBay. It's the same guy. I'd rather support a guy making them than a large company making them. That's just me though. When I got mine, the Hughes kit was coming with Dorman gaskets. I got mine from thespeedfreaks.net and picked up all Felpro stuff for the same price as the Hughes kit.
1999BLKDAKRT on thespeedfreaks.net?
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #28213
Darkrocker
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vassalboro, Maine
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaintMech View Post
Put it in 4 High a couple of days ago.

Probably will stay there until ........







April?
You probably put yours on around the same time I did for the same reason, only I turned mine off when I thought the roads were clear. Big mistake .

In other news the ZJ hunt isn't going spectacularly well. The overpriced one still hasn't sold and is being re-posted every 24 hours, I'm hoping that'll work to my advantage soon. The only other one around here is owned by a guy that can't figure out how to email pictures . I'm hoping something falls in place when I have the cash in hand in a couple days, it's happened before.
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #28214
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler
 
Myusername1674's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post
You probably put yours on around the same time I did for the same reason, only I turned mine off when I thought the roads were clear. Big mistake .

In other news the ZJ hunt isn't going spectacularly well. The overpriced one still hasn't sold and is being re-posted every 24 hours, I'm hoping that'll work to my advantage soon. The only other one around here is owned by a guy that can't figure out how to email pictures . I'm hoping something falls in place when I have the cash in hand in a couple days, it's happened before.
Good luck to ya man!

Built a sub box to go where my spare to mount is because i was bored, i only eye balled all of the cuts out of this fiber board. It sounds like **** like i expected it to. I'm just gonna cut a 3" port into it, if it still sounds bad i'm buying a cheap box from craiglist or ebay

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app
__________________
95 FiveTwo ZJ, DD, Lifted, Locked on 35s, Build (in progress)

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #28215
hondakilla98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Beaverton, or
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post

Good luck to ya man!

Built a sub box to go where my spare to mount is because i was bored, i only eye balled all of the cuts out of this fiber board. It sounds like **** like i expected it to. I'm just gonna cut a x3" port into it, if it still sounds bad i'm buying a cheap box from craiglist or ebay

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app
You know there's a science to building a sub box, right? Do you know what the approximate volume of the box is? What sub are you using? How much power are you running to it? And don't just put a 3" port in it and hope for the best. That's even easier to mess up than a sealed box.
__________________
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.