What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1879 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #28171
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
so how does it work then the 242

does it have a v.c. or a torsen or a flux capacitor ?
AWD in the 242 is an open center diff. IMO, it's utterly useless as it leads to fairly unpredictable behavior if you break traction.

comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #28172
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
It's the rubber insert that fits into the cupholder and actually makes it usable lol. you can kind of see it in this picture

Yeah, need one! Thanks for the pic..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #28173
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I don't care who you are, where your from, what you did, as long as you don't drive fast in the rain and cause accidents. So your RWD vehicle loses traction in the rain? Maybe that's a sign to not drive fast in the rain. I don't care if you want to take your car to a track day event when it's wet outside, but don't treat the streets as a track. I see to many stupid people doing that around me, causing innocent people to get into wrecks. Half the time, the jag off driving like a tool doesn't even wreck; he just causes someone to wreck.
Try 3rd gear at 20mph around a 40mph cloverleaf in light rain at less than half throttle. Rear end just came out from under me. Believe me, I am as anti-street-racing as you are here. My 240 is not about driving fast in the rain it's about how difficult it is to keep a car that squirrelly from biting me in the *** in the rain. The damn thing will spin its tires up through 4th gear on a wet start. It is NOT fun. And this is just 150hp. So I'm a proponent of AWD as a method of getting enough traction into the road where you don't have to burn your clutch up and get cramps in both your feet just to take off from a light in 2nd gear.

Anyway, this happened:

Two days ago it was 80 degrees out. This kind of stuff always happens when the Jeep isn't working.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #28174
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

We haven't had any snow yet only 41 degrees here right now and rain nothing but rain no fun in the snow yet
93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #28175
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Im looking forward to seeing how my Ram performs in the snow. Just got it a few days ago so we'll see.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #28176
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Im looking forward to seeing how my Ram performs in the snow. Just got it a few days ago so we'll see.
My old 97 did great, just make sure to put some weight in the bed.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #28177
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Yea i figure it will hold it's own. It's got 3 week old tires on it also so im sure that will help. Been looking into maybe a 3" lift, seems like no one makes lift springs for the back? All im finding are really tall blocks and it's already got 3" blocks in there from the factory lol.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #28178
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Try 3rd gear at 20mph around a 40mph cloverleaf in light rain at less than half throttle. Rear end just came out from under me. Believe me, I am as anti-street-racing as you are here. My 240 is not about driving fast in the rain it's about how difficult it is to keep a car that squirrelly from biting me in the *** in the rain. The damn thing will spin its tires up through 4th gear on a wet start. It is NOT fun. And this is just 150hp. So I'm a proponent of AWD as a method of getting enough traction into the road where you don't have to burn your clutch up and get cramps in both your feet just to take off from a light in 2nd gear.

Anyway, this happened:

Two days ago it was 80 degrees out. This kind of stuff always happens when the Jeep isn't working.
ohhhhh mannnnnnn !

im so sorry !

its like ...

its like ...

its just not describable how tragic this is
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #28179
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The 240 is covered in ice and sitting on the summer tires I bought it with.

We don't have snow here, you see. We have freezing rain.

Unread 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #28180
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If you've got traction problems that badly in the rain, the problem isn't being RWD, it's the tires. I have no issues at all driving my 5.9 in 2wd in the rain. Just don't go WOT in 1st and you're generally ok. Heck, I drive it around in 2wd in the snow most of the time, no issue there either. It does get tail happy in the snow and I have to keep it in check, but it's still better than 4wd when the snow isn't overly deep (part time understeers badly, full time isn't predictable enough).
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #28181
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Yea i figure it will hold it's own. It's got 3 week old tires on it also so im sure that will help. Been looking into maybe a 3" lift, seems like no one makes lift springs for the back? All im finding are really tall blocks and it's already got 3" blocks in there from the factory lol.
nothing wrong with tall lift blocks...

Unread 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #28182
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
AWD in the 242 is an open center diff. IMO, it's utterly useless as it leads to fairly unpredictable behavior if you break traction.
so its 1wd then this is not awd

awd actively splits tq between the front and rear

4 hi activly spins the effeing wee out of whatever wheel will slip but makes a lot of noise and has riceboy respectability

i remember when i had fun replacing tires every week from the burnouts that would make my tires delaminate it sure was fun

i also remember crashing and almost killing a few people too

i like traction now
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #28183
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

240 made to drift see above post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
If you've got traction problems that badly in the rain, the problem isn't being RWD, it's the tires. I have no issues at all driving my 5.9 in 2wd in the rain. Just don't go WOT in 1st and you're generally ok. Heck, I drive it around in 2wd in the snow most of the time, no issue there either. It does get tail happy in the snow and I have to keep it in check, but it's still better than 4wd when the snow isn't overly deep (part time understeers badly, full time isn't predictable enough).
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #28184
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
To be fair it's a slowly progressing grip build. I think it's sitting on summer tires. Sure enough, in the dry it sticks very well. Regardless, there is a place for AWD and I enjoy its performance benefits.

As for the 242's AWD being tricky, I never had problems. While the AWD in that isn't as capable as the AWD in the 249 or 247 cases, it's better than part-time 4 on road, and has a part-time position for offroad. And no VC to fail.

Unread 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #28185
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should be able to spin through 4th with 150hp.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.