What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1877 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #28141
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I wouldn't mind a 5 speed 5.9 that would be one jeep what would be sick to drive.

93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #28142
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
bla bla same stupid argument everytime consists of these two weak points counter , awd feels and drives better ( when it works lol just fix it pansy ) it has better launch road feel in all conditions its strong a.f. mine aint broke and it has 2xthe mileage of most ( lololol ) also that **** wouldntve happened if darkrocker had awd so theres that ...
129k on my vc and running strong. I love it. Don't have to worry about **** with rain, mud, snow. I can accelerate hard on wet conditions and leave people there. It's awesome.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #28143
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
The 249 is a VERY good case when it works. Once it fails i wouldnt bother repairing it. Believe it or not the 249-242 is only good for about 1mpg, but the performance difference is huge. I have a 98 5.9 with a 242 and some performance mods, i absolutely love being able to nail it and kick the @ss end out in traffic and watch the guy next to me in his honda shat himself lol
So you are 31 years old and racing hondas? I'll make sure I take your opinions seriously lol.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #28144
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Never to old to smoke a Honda just watch ya might get cancer from to many.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #28145
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
So you are 31 years old and racing hondas? I'll make sure I take your opinions seriously lol.
So your 38 and lame as a 90 year old? Sorry to hear that. I grew up racing, ill race anyone willing. Dont care if i win or lose, its all for the fun of it. Work your niner a little bit, wake it up, then maybe you'll understand.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #28146
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
I wouldn't mind a 5 speed 5.9 that would be one jeep what would be sick to drive.
I think the nv3500 is its a direct install no fabing
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #28147
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

It is, along with a computer from a manual dodge ram, no CEL, stock gauges work, it's like it was factory.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #28148
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I have found that you do not need a computer to do a 5 speed swap my first car I converted to stick and I ran an auto computer in it even my 5 speed zj when I bought it it did have a factory 5 speed computer but it took a crap so I put a spare automatic computer in the jeep til I could find another 5 speed one I noticed no difference in either computer besides having a shift light I think the only differences with an auto and manual computer is the auto comp has shift points for the auto slush box.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #28149
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

On a 96-98 ZJ if you do a 5 speed conversion and leave the stock computer you will have a check engine light. Im not sure about the 93-95 though. In a lot of states having a check engine light is an automatic failure when you go in for inspection. Not to mention who wants to see a CEL on all the time? I dont.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #28150
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
After all, I do own FOUR Jeeps..... Of course I'm broke!!!
I can only imagine. I have one and it likes to have new parts and maintenance constantly.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #28151
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post

129k on my vc and running strong. I love it. Don't have to worry about **** with rain, mud, snow. I can accelerate hard on wet conditions and leave people there. It's awesome.
I love my 231 swap in my jeep because i can spin tires and i can lunchbox the front without messing up drive ability. However i honestly do miss the awd vc in the rain, i get no traction when it rains, i try and accelerate and all it does is spin that one wheel in my open diffed rear

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #28152
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

AWD is great for onroad vehicles with more power than 2 wheels can easily put into the road. It improves launch and cornering performance in nearly all cases. FWD-based systems see their tendencies toward understeer neutralized by power at the rear, RWD based systems see additional stability against spins and snap oversteer. The drivetrain is more efficient as less power is wasted turning tires into heat and smoke. AWD is certainly useful. I have a RWD vehicle. It sucks having to nurse it whenever it gets wet or slick outside. I just can't go fast. If I had, say, an AWD Subaru instead, I'd have so much more potential. Even in the dry, I'd be able to accelerate more aggressively into and out of corners because I'm not risking spinning it out when the weight balance shifts. I lost an RX7 doing that, once.

With that said, the viscous AWD of the NP249 isn't ideal for offroad use. This is why I prefer the NP242. It has an AWD position for onroad use, but also proper fully-locked 4WD positions for offroad use. To top it off, there is an available 2WD setting for claimed reduced wear. (It's not true. All the 4WD bits are always engaged on the ZJ. Only the t-case chain and planetary reduction can be disengaged. Even then, the planetary set is spinning, it's just not engaged. Everything is constantly wearing!)

To hit the point about manual niners: A guy swapped a manual transmission (and an NP242) into a 5.2 Limited with some power mods. You'd think it'd be awesome, but overall, performance was reduced due to really really long shift times. An automatic can shift very quickly. A manual transmission from a pickup truck, on the other hand, just has too long a throw. It was definitely cool for novelty, but for performance, I'd see about working on the 46RE's characteristics. A torque converter with a different stall speed, or a shift kit if available. If you're really up for it, a manual transmission controller even. (ie flappy paddle kit) Of course, if you really want to extract optimum street performance from a vehicle as powerful as the 5.9 Limited, you'll need AWD.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #28153
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The NV3550 won't hold up to the abuse the 5.9 can lay down.

My niner has no front shaft and is a ***** and a half to drive the moment the pavement gets wet. Too much power, touchy throttle.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #28154
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
AWD is great for onroad vehicles with more power than 2 wheels can easily put into the road. It improves launch and cornering performance in nearly all cases. FWD-based systems see their tendencies toward understeer neutralized by power at the rear, RWD based systems see additional stability against spins and snap oversteer. The drivetrain is more efficient as less power is wasted turning tires into heat and smoke. AWD is certainly useful. I have a RWD vehicle. It sucks having to nurse it whenever it gets wet or slick outside. I just can't go fast. If I had, say, an AWD Subaru instead, I'd have so much more potential. Even in the dry, I'd be able to accelerate more aggressively into and out of corners because I'm not risking spinning it out when the weight balance shifts. I lost an RX7 doing that, once.

With that said, the viscous AWD of the NP249 isn't ideal for offroad use. This is why I prefer the NP242. It has an AWD position for onroad use, but also proper fully-locked 4WD positions for offroad use. To top it off, there is an available 2WD setting for claimed reduced wear. (It's not true. All the 4WD bits are always engaged on the ZJ. Only the t-case chain and planetary reduction can be disengaged. Even then, the planetary set is spinning, it's just not engaged. Everything is constantly wearing!)
I don't care who you are, where your from, what you did, as long as you don't drive fast in the rain and cause accidents. So your RWD vehicle loses traction in the rain? Maybe that's a sign to not drive fast in the rain. I don't care if you want to take your car to a track day event when it's wet outside, but don't treat the streets as a track. I see to many stupid people doing that around me, causing innocent people to get into wrecks. Half the time, the jag off driving like a tool doesn't even wreck; he just causes someone to wreck.

Also, for wheeling, a 249 is a great case. I loved wheeling with mine. The 96-98 249 was a 249 OD. This transfer case was different than the previous 93-95 249. The newer style actually locked in 4 low. When you're wheeling, you get away with the 249 in full time. When extra traction is needed in a situation, almost any vehicle would require 4 low for the extra torque. With my 242, I don't believe I've ever used part time high range. I drive it on the street in either 2 wheel or full time, depending on weather and road conditions. When I wheel, I primarily use 4 low and 1st gear.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #28155
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
So your 38 and lame as a 90 year old? Sorry to hear that. I grew up racing, ill race anyone willing. Dont care if i win or lose, its all for the fun of it. Work your niner a little bit, wake it up, then maybe you'll understand.
I don't think so. Having a fast vehicle has never inspired me to street race. Just like having guns has never made me want to shoot in my back yard or illegally within city limits. Part of having something powerful is being responsible with it.

One thing I do get a kick out of to do, and it makes me laugh every time, is when someone pulls up next to me at a light and revs his motor to race, I'll rev back and when the light turns I'll sit there and watch him take off like a tard. Cracks me up every time.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.