Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#37,263 ·
Damn bro were in the exact same boat lol. New axles, everything balanced. Still have issues. Time for my TC too
Frustrating, isn't it? I'm considering pulling the TC and tearing it down this weekend to see how it looks inside. Like if it'll need a new chain and not just bearings, and I guess check a few of the bearing surfaces on the hard parts for wear such as the back of the front input shaft. Might as well check whether or not mine really has the new gear cut to aid in figuring out what I can swap with if I go that route too.

This wouldn't be so annoying if I at least knew WTF the problem was. Bad bearings in the TC is about all that's left at this point.

#37,266 ·
Probably a good call.....financially.
Pff, like a Jeep is financially responsible to begin with!

A 242, new chain, and rebuild kit on the way! Going to need to figure out the rear driveshaft since the 242 is external slip yoke. I think I read somewhere that an XJ shaft will do... Going to need to take some measurements.

#37,267 ·
rburrow87 said:
Pff, like a Jeep is financially responsible to begin with! A 242, new chain, and rebuild kit on the way! Going to need to figure out the rear driveshaft since the 242 is external slip yoke. I think I read somewhere that an XJ shaft will do... Going to need to take some measurements.
When I went from 249 to 242, I also went from internal to external (case from a 99' XJ). I had to have my stock rear shaft shortened a bit but it's worked great since.

#37,268 ·
Pff, like a Jeep is financially responsible to begin with!

A 242, new chain, and rebuild kit on the way! Going to need to figure out the rear driveshaft since the 242 is external slip yoke. I think I read somewhere that an XJ shaft will do... Going to need to take some measurements.
Where did you order your stuff from? Im probably gonna just rebuild mine too. Screw it.

#37,269 ·
When I went from 249 to 242, I also went from internal to external (case from a 99' XJ). I had to have my stock rear shaft shortened a bit but it's worked great since.
Yeah, but if I can find something I can get from a junk yard or eBay, it would be nice to keep this one intact if I find I could use a longer one down the road after lifting. Need to ask around some more, but one driveline place here wanted $130 to just balance a DS!

Where did you order your stuff from? Im probably gonna just rebuild mine too. Screw it.
I bought the rebuild parts on eBay from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/usa.industries. I liked that they mentioned not using Chinese bearings in the rebuild kit for the 242. They also carry new Borg-Warner / Morse chains for it. Never ordered from these guys though, so I can't vouch for accuracy just yet, and there may or may not be cheaper sources for the same thing.

I think you'll need a different kit since you have a 93 and should have the thicker input bearing and old gear cut (not that the cut matters for a rebuild), unless your TC is actually newer than the Jeep itself.

#37,273 ·
3 more days until I finally get to drive my Jeep. Seriously, the suspense might kill me. In other news, got like 4" of snow today, time to bust the Elantra out of a small drift
Can't wait to hear what you think about that 249/247 hybrid!

Ya'll are making me want to rebuild my 231. Then I actually think about how much I hated working on it and laugh hysterically at the idea :laugh:
Just do it! What was so bad about it? ...Or maybe you shouldn't say cause I'm already waiting for the parts.

My drive shafts were jus fine when I swapped to a 242.
If you are lifted and have the rear axle pushed out, or swapped to an internal slip yoke 242/231, then yeah it should just be drop-in. It's switching to an external slip yoke that causes a problem because it's 1.5" or so longer. I opted for external slip yoke because those tend to have the new input gear cut which is what my 249 has since it has a build date in 1995.

#37,276 ·
If you are lifted and have the rear axle pushed out, or swapped to an internal slip yoke 242/231, then yeah it should just be drop-in. It's switching to an external slip yoke that causes a problem because it's 1.5" or so longer. I opted for external slip yoke because those tend to have the new input gear cut which is what my 249 has since it has a build date in 1995.
Didn't even realize there was a differance. Mines an internal.

#37,277 ·
I just don't like getting it out and putting it back in. I'm not a very big guy and it's about all I can handle bench pressing that thing back up there haha
Ugh, yeah I'm not looking forward to that... Do have a trans jack though. Can't remember if I did it by myself with the trans jack or if someone helped when I dropped the TC to pull the trans on my old ZJ.

Didn't even realize there was a differance. Mines an internal.
Yup, just enough difference to make it a problem!

#37,280 ·
Decided it was time to wash the ZJ last the other night; My kids got in the jeep and started giving me the third degree about going muddin without them, they had a hard time believing that it was really salt that was all over the jeep and not mud and snow. I couldn't help but smile when they started in on me. made my week, my kids really do love off roading as much as I do. Must be raising them right.