What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1841 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #27601
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I did the math recently, and in almost 4 years and about 59k miles since I bought my ZJ, I've spent close to $15k on fuel
I've had my ZJ for around 5 years, wife put most of the miles on it, but in those 5 years it has had around 100k miles put on it

smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #27602
95z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 123
90k in 2.5 years! Don't even wanna know given most of the gas was $4+ a gallon. Close to $5 for a while. E
95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #27603
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRedZj View Post
Every time I hand calculate my mpg it's within 1 mpg of my overhead. I haven't swapped my Speedo gear yet either.......sooo 31's on a BB with a 5.2 = crummy gas mileage!
Have you fixed your plenum yet? I get between 13-15 going 70-80 mph. I can eek out better not going above 65 but that drives me nuts after a while. 2" lift with 245/75's, 5.9.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #27604
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95z View Post
I'll top it off and give you accurate numbers to further disconclude your statement.
Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling you're going to be in for a surprise when you actually calculate it. Whether or not you share that surprise on here truthfully is up to you.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #27605
95z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling you're going to be in for a surprise when you actually calculate it. Whether or not you share that surprise on here truthfully is up to you.
Shhhhh.
95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #27606
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 2,439
I always calculate my fuel consumption with the following formula:

(miles driven * tire correction factor)/gallons fuel

The correction factor is because I haven't regeared my speedometer so my odometer reads incorrectly. However it reads incorrectly by a given percentage. I believe I'm 12.5% low so I'd multiply by 1.125 to get the corrected mileage, then divide by the amount of fuel added. There's a good calculator on a Miata website that tells you how different your tire size is from stock, and how that affects your speedometer reading. It can compare any 2 tire/wheel size combinations. Very useful.

With that said, my overhead reads 1.5mpg lower than hand calculation using corrected mileage. 12.4mpg vs 14mpg. That's a lot of city driving and lead foot, on 2" of lift, 32" tires, and an I6 straining itself to go faster.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #27607
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I always calculate my fuel consumption with the following formula:

(miles driven * tire correction factor)/gallons fuel

The correction factor is because I haven't regeared my speedometer so my odometer reads incorrectly. However it reads incorrectly by a given percentage. I believe I'm 12.5% low so I'd multiply by 1.125 to get the corrected mileage, then divide by the amount of fuel added. There's a good calculator on a Miata website that tells you how different your tire size is from stock, and how that affects your speedometer reading. It can compare any 2 tire/wheel size combinations. Very useful.

With that said, my overhead reads 1.5mpg lower than hand calculation using corrected mileage. 12.4mpg vs 14mpg. That's a lot of city driving and lead foot, on 2" of lift, 32" tires, and an I6 straining itself to go faster.
the way i did it before i got the right speedo gear/r&P ratio/tiresize to add up properly was to do the tire rolling circumference compared to factory percentage.
so a 33" tire circumference= 103.67"
stock 28.5 tall=89.5"
103.67/89.5=1.158 but well call it 1.16 (you've gon 16% farther due to larger rolling circumference)
multiply this times your tripometer to see how far you've actually gone
so trip says 300 miles
300x1.16 youve actually gone 348 miles
348/gallons pumped=MPGs

i get 13 to 14 mpg overall in this hoss
weighs over 5k lbs now and just turned 270k miles on the original motor---3rd tranny
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/speedbuckets-zj-build-1361322/
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #27608
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,134
You guys know a speedo gear is like $40 shipped and maybe 5 minutes of labor, right? Or have you both changed them already?
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #27609
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
You guys know a speedo gear is like $40 shipped and maybe 5 minutes of labor, right? Or have you both changed them already?
when i did my gears and SYE i swapped the right one in. im off 1mph at 65, but its prety easy once youve done the math once. KNowing 16% you can guess your speed pretty well and just multiply it. I did the sye in the rear so with the suspension/axle swap i actually run the exact same driveshaft front and rear= carry one spare and easily available at the junkyards
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/speedbuckets-zj-build-1361322/
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #27610
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,024
What gear would be good for a 30.5" tire? Round up or down? I use the speedo on my GPS most of the time. The dash speedo is a bit slower than the GPS.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #27611
AnotherRedZj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fort walton beach, fl
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Have you fixed your plenum yet? I get between 13-15 going 70-80 mph. I can eek out better not going above 65 but that drives me nuts after a while. 2" lift with 245/75's, 5.9.
Yea, the crate came with a full gasket kit.

I'm about 13 in town, 15 on the highway. Any highway time is really pretty short trip so it might come out better if I used a whole tank.
__________________
5.2 crate - fourwheelcustoms 2.25 BB - 31x10.50 BFG at-ko's 249/242 swap - front drive shaft upgrade by driveshaftspecialistincorporated - jcr off-road front bumper - engo 12k lbs winch......
AnotherRedZj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #27612
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
What gear would be good for a 30.5" tire? Round up or down? I use the speedo on my GPS most of the time. The dash speedo is a bit slower than the GPS.
Stock 3.73s? You need the ultra rare 33.5 tooth gear.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #27613
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,582
I trimmed my bumper for my new big meats

I took off a fair amount, I think they should clear now
p1030359.jpg   p1030266.jpg   p1030361.jpg   p1030363.jpg  
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #27614
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,582
Also added some new beer holders. Spray rubbered my new cubby to help quiet it down, she was a noisy hoe.
p1030358.jpg  
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #27615
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,062
broke the screw off in the distributor changing the cap


drilled the screw hole


question , is it safe to hold it on with zip ties ? :
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/its-jeep-grand-cherokee-you-1443132/#post14516738
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.