What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1825 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #27361
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post

what if the higher sensitivity was at a tone you didnt want to hear and your subwoofer blew up into a billion pieces and sounded like trash playing that high ?
You would use crossovers to filter or block the frequencies above whatever frequency you choose, ~250hz and higher for example.... Some head units and amplifiers have these features built-in also...

Sent from Lee's Samsung Galaxy Note II using JeepForum

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #27362
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcii77 View Post
I don't go by manufacturer as much as specs... Look for "Sensitivity" near or above 100db and "Total Harmonic Distortion" (THD) at least below 0.05% THD... Meaning, a speaker that's more sensitive and has lower THD will require less power to generate the same sound as a speaker that's not as efficient... The Pioneers I have are 102db and .005% THD... I've seen many that are in the 80db sensitivity range with a 0.1% THD... You also should look at the frequency range your looking to provide with the speakers... Generally, anything from ~250hz and down should be provided by a subwoofer, and anything above ~8khz by a tweeter or horn of some sort...

My sub is set to play everything from 80 Hz and below. My mids are highpassed at 63 Hz with a 24 dB/oct slope (I did have some phase cancellation from the drivers playing in the same frequency range as the sub but that's nothing switching the sub to 180 degrees phase angle didn't solve) and lowpassed at 2.5 kHz with the same slope. Everything above that is played by my tweeters, highpassed at 2.5 kHz at 24 dB/oct. Crossing over your sub as high as you're talking will kill any chance of sound quality you might have had otherwise.

Quote:
You would use crossovers to filter or block the frequencies above whatever frequency you choose, ~250hz and higher for example.... Some head units and amplifiers have these features built-in also...

Yes. Most amps will have some sort of crossover built into them. If you're using a mono amp for the sub, it will more than likely have a lowpass on it. That way you can "tune" how high you want the sub to play. Some mono amps also have a built in highpass around 15-20 Hz. This is normally called a subsonic filter. You can get a fancier head unit that will allow for crossover control as well.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #27363
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

My sub is set to play everything from 80 Hz and below. My mids are highpassed at 63 Hz with a 24 dB/oct slope (I did have some phase cancellation from the drivers playing in the same frequency range as the sub but that's nothing switching the sub to 180 degrees phase angle didn't solve) and lowpassed at 2.5 kHz with the same slope. Everything above that is played by my tweeters, highpassed at 2.5 kHz at 24 dB/oct. Crossing over your sub as high as you're talking will kill any chance of sound quality you might have had otherwise.

Yes. Most amps will have some sort of crossover built into them. If you're using a mono amp for the sub, it will more than likely have a lowpass on it. That way you can "tune" how high you want the sub to play. Some mono amps also have a built in highpass around 15-20 Hz. This is normally called a subsonic filter. You can get a fancier head unit that will allow for crossover control as well.
I have mine crossed over at ~220hz and it sounds great... But, my sub's effective range is from 20hz to 325hz, iirc... The door speakers are crossed at ~220hz up to 8khz, iirc, then, tweets from there up... Sound quality is great, full, crisp/clear, and very loud, if needed... lol. How can you say that crossing over my sub at that frequency would kill any chance of excellent sound quality without knowing the specs of the sub or the rest of the system, for that matter... I was only offering an example, you can crossover at whatever frequency best suits your need.... Did I offend you in some way, or, did I offend a friend of yours?

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #27364
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I have mine crossed over at ~220hz and it sounds great... But, my sub's effective range is from 20hz to 325hz, iirc... The door speakers are crossed at ~220hz up to 8khz, iirc, then, tweets from there up... Sound quality is great, full, crisp/clear, and very loud, if needed... lol. How can you say that crossing over my sub at that frequency would kill any chance of excellent sound quality without knowing the specs of the sub or the rest of the system, for that matter... I was only offering an example, you can crossover at whatever frequency best suits your need.... Did I offend you in some way, or, did I offend a friend of yours?

No offense whatsoever was taken. The reason I spoke up on the matter is because when you cross a sub that high, you pull the stage from the front to the rear. The sub can be localized very easily, even by an untrained ear. I guess that comes from my SQ competition days though. Sound quality is subjective. If you feel the sound is good, then by all means, go for it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #27365
jeepmojo
1993 ZJ 

Where can I find a complete set of suspension bolts?
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #27366
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Painted the cladding and bumper covers. Looks like a completely different Jeep now!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #27367
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Started the XJ D44 install..

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #27368
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

I cursed at it

Ive got vibes when running my rear driveshaft. When I take it out the vibes are gone. Ive had the driveshaft rebuilt and balanced, then re-balanced again to double check.
Ive got a sye kit with this said rebuilt double cardon. I got my pinion ~1-1.5 degrees less then the driveshaft angle currently with the best results but i still got vibes. Ive got adjustable rear upper and lower arms. Ive been moving em around trying to find a sweet spot.

I'm at a loss. I just might have to bring it to the driveline shop that did the driveshaft, hand over the key and say fix it.
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #27369
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Installed new hatch bumpers. Takes effort to close the hatch and the bumpers hold it a lot more solidly in place so its not rattling around on bumps and stuff. Worth the $5 easily and should have done it earlier.

They are Dorman 45390 if anyone is wondering.

98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #27370
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE

If you have one or know someone, you need to contact me to buy it from you now! I am located on the west side of DFW, but I have searched kinda of in a triangle down from Mt. Pleasant,Tx to Corsicana,Tx to Nacogdoches,Tx
A guy in Houston has one right now on CL for $250.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #27371
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
A guy in Houston has one right now on CL for $250.
got any link to such a thing! Found it, thanks.

Last edited by WJ4x4LIFE; 11-18-2013 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: found answer.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #27372
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Hauled the last trailer load to the new house. Niner's due for some tlc after we're done unpacking. Wash, wax, fluids, and hopefully all new IRO control arms.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #27373
MechanicTyler
1998 ZJ 

Crazy Rust

Fixing the rust destroyed frame of this ZJ I was given
start-body-work.jpg   frame-1.jpg   frame-2.jpg   frame-3.jpg   floorboard.jpg  

broken-control-arm-bracket.jpg  
MechanicTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #27374
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

I haven't posted in a long time, but I've done a lot to my Jeep, had drivers side ball joints replaced, track link bar, put in a Gabriel steering damper it's almost twice as big as the old one, replaced front and rear rotors and pads, upgraded the alt. to a 200 amp one. Finally replaced drivers side door and fender and lower door hinge, put a car top luggage carrier on top and put my tools in it. The last thing I just did was put a new drivers side tire on and the shop broke my locking lug nut key, and trying to get the passenger tire off they wrenched the top of the. Broken lug nut off, now I have to have it cut off with a torch! The same shop wnt to change my serpentine belt got it off found out the new belt was wrong and charged me $20 to put my old belt back on! I got a new correct belt or what I thought was a correct belt, it was 2 inches too short! Had to take it back and get a new one! Got it put on, 2 days later I heard a noise under the hood got home and the brand new belt had broken and wrapped around the fan and you guessed it! Another belt! I had another person put the belt on and he must have gotten it right it's still working! Now I just need o replace the valve cover gasket and get the broken lug nut cut off. Oh I just did a full radiator flush and it was so dirty. Now I need to pull the dash apart and replace the cluster lights. I think im going to go with super bright white LEDs I also upgraded to new headlight bulbs they are 60% brighter than stock ones. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #27375
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

Oh had front end aligned mechanic said its aligned but I had way too much play in the steering wheel I needed a new steering gearbox, I came home and adjusted my gear box and nw have gotten it dwn to about a of inch of play, I'm going to adjust it again nd remove all play, ive been told by several people tha my jeep handles as good as a Honda and NOT like a jeep! So that's a very good thing! Hehehe
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.