What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1824 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #27346
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Well my grandma only listened to classical music and not very loud at all whenever she did actually use it. Thanks for the info dude!

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #27347
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Loud music is only half what kills them, age dries up the foam edge on them and they fall apart. Just be ready to replace them in the very near future is all im saying. Its not a big deal to do, you can get 6.5" speakers pretty cheap unless you want to go for high end ones. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #27348
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

I'd probably replace them with ~50 buck sets (50 for front, 50 for rear) probably pioneers.
95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #27349
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Believe it or not your better off buying a higher level cheap brand like Jensen than the low end main stream brand speakers. I ran a car stereo shop for 9 years, the $50 "higher end" Jensen speakers sounded better than the $50 low end Pioneer speakers.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #27350
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Believe it or not your better off buying a higher level cheap brand like Jensen than the low end main stream brand speakers. I ran a car stereo shop for 9 years, the $50 "higher end" Jensen speakers sounded better than the $50 low end Pioneer speakers.
Jenson makes high end? Lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #27351
WJ4x4LIFE

Finished my dual battery set-up and OBA finally! While I was there I decided "WHAT THE H***!" Oh, my next project while we are on the RADIO talk, I was thinking about making a double din factory replacement from what I have now. Something like the photo below (WJ's RB1 have it). Again, just getting ideas?! I would like GPS/NAV/BLUETOOTH,TOUCH SCREEN,USB,AUX....all the good stuff...

My evil plan to do just a thing, I must start to plan.... Oh, by the way I hate the 96'-98' ZJ interior dash redesign!

Original in WJ: We all know we love the look, or at least I do.

I really need to start putting a Build Thread together.....

Last edited by WJ4x4LIFE; 11-17-2013 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Redid my post...new idea.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #27352
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

I finally fixed the rear bumper cover. I used the Plastic Welder Kit that Harbor Freight sells for like $16.99 minus 25% coupon = $12.75
I sanded it by hand then applied Primer and some Spot Putty to fill some small scratches and low spots.
I finished it of with some Dupli Color paint as close to what I could get at AutoZone - LOL Honda Grey Metallic Flake
Oh well its close enough and looks better then it was.
I think I spent like $30-$40 total on materials and tools on the fix, and of course my labor is free lol.
What next ????
Light bar ???
jeepbumperrepair.jpg

Unread 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #27353
David97
1995 ZJ 

Drove it for 30 minutes. Beat the living piss out of it. Drove home, and parked it. lol
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #27354
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Jenson makes high end? Lol
LOL no not at all BUT their better line of speakers is better than the cheap pioneer junk out there. Thats why i put "higher end" lol
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #27355
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Not that they're low end, but I love my D series comps in my ZJ. I tossed the passive crossovers and run them active from my HU and an older Alpine V12 amp. I'm even more of a fan of my PRS comps in my car, again active on a V12 amp.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #27356
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Drove my zj for a bit and enjoyed the new sounding radio I put in yesterday. One thing I noticed, might need to clean the cd player, one of the 2 disks I tried did not want to play (cd is clean, just to clerify)

As to the speakers, mine still work fine, but am sure to do some research to get them replaced and have already got some good ideas from this site
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #27357
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't go by manufacturer as much as specs... Look for "Sensitivity" near or above 100db and "Total Harmonic Distortion" (THD) at least below 0.05% THD... Meaning, a speaker that's more sensitive and has lower THD will require less power to generate the same sound as a speaker that's not as efficient... The Pioneers I have are 102db and .005% THD... I've seen many that are in the 80db sensitivity range with a 0.1% THD... You also should look at the frequency range your looking to provide with the speakers... Generally, anything from ~250hz and down should be provided by a subwoofer, and anything above ~8khz by a tweeter or horn of some sort...

Sent from Lee's Samsung Galaxy Note II using JeepForum
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #27358
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Did anyone not see my video regarding the testing of the Magnecore wires???

As for plugs, I think I am running Autolite plugs that I got from Kolaks tune up kit

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #27359
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
Did anyone not see my video regarding the testing of the Magnecore wires???

As for plugs, I think I am running Autolite plugs that I got from Kolaks tune up kit
From this technical article (w/ dyno testing) Spark Plug Wires - Tech, Terminology, Explained - Hot Rod Magazine

"News flash: We’ve tested plug wires of many types on the dyno, and (at least when they’re new) there seems to be no significant horsepower difference from brand to brand."

The bigger issue is the quality of the insulator, resistance to heat etc.

Manufactures article Magnecor Race Wires:

Every brand of spiral conductor ignition wires will perform the function of conducting coil output to the spark plugs, but NONE, despite the claims made in advertisements and other promotional literature, will increase horsepower. Independent tests, including a test performed by Circle Track Magazine (see May, 1996 issue) in the USA, show that NO "low-resistance" ignition wires for which a horsepower increase is claimed do in fact increase horsepower - the test also included comparisons with solid metal and carbon conductor ignition wires.

This is from, page 3, at this address: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f77/...89/index3.html

Two posts after the above, an electrical engineer clarifies this issue in another post, stating, "I'm an electrical engineer, specializing in the RF domain. I can tell you unequivocally that the series resistance makes no difference in the overall performance of the wireset. In fact, lower resistance will raise EMI emissions and that's NOT a good thing."

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #27360
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcii77 View Post
I don't go by manufacturer as much as specs... Look for "Sensitivity" near or above 100db and "Total Harmonic Distortion" (THD) at least below 0.05% THD... Meaning, a speaker that's more sensitive and has lower THD will require less power to generate the same sound as a speaker that's not as efficient... The Pioneers I have are 102db and .005% THD... I've seen many that are in the 80db sensitivity range with a 0.1% THD... You also should look at the frequency range your looking to provide with the speakers... Generally, anything from ~250hz and down should be provided by a subwoofer, and anything above ~8khz by a tweeter or horn of some sort...

what if the higher sensitivity was at a tone you didnt want to hear and your subwoofer blew up into a billion pieces and sounded like trash playing that high ?
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.