What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1811 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 11-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #27151
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
When comparing brands of parts, there is no quantitative data. There's just the experience of many people coming to similar conclusions.

Champion plugs are really good for Chrysler vehicles. Champion is also the number one manufacturer of ignition components for small engines.
Before I researched spark plugs for my ZJ, I purchased some Bosch double tipped iridium plugs, a far cry from what you recommend. I've had them in there for a couple of years now with no issues.

ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #27152
95z

Good deal
95z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #27153
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
As somebody who sells spark plugs for a living:

Champion - Chrysler, Lawnmowers
NGK - All Asian imports, Saturn
ACDelco - GM
Motorcraft - Ford
Bosch - German imports
E3 - GM Performance, Lawnmowers
ACCEL - GM Performance (in other words, lawnmowers)
Autolite - Any cars preparing to be crushed, but you couldn't find a trailer to tow it to the scrapper and they wouldn't come to you
Unless it's a high compression DOHC VVT engine then it's probably going to be Bosch or NGK. Also, NEVER EVER use E3's
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #27154
NissanGuy23
1996 ZJ 

In the last few weeks, painstakingly replaced on my 227k mile ZJ 4.0 at my apartment complex:

-Replaced Alternator (died). Luckily got the Jeep home right before everything died.
-Replaced Harmonic Balancer (the one i had was about to wobbling , about to blow up). What a pain.
-Replaced CPS. Jeep was stalling, fuel readout was way of and erratic.

Jeep is still stalling, already cleaned the IAC. Next thing im going to do it remove the Throttle Body and clean it heavily. PCM is already zip tied. I think its the throttle body, because it only stalls at idle, or when i let off the gas the rpms drop.
NissanGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #27155
95z

They've discontinued this dumb switch and the whole light assembly said the guy at Jeep. I'll have to search the junk yards. Got the tires rotated and balanced that's always good.

forumrunner_20131112_091556.png
95z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #27156
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
Unless it's a high compression DOHC VVT engine then it's probably going to be Bosch or NGK. Also, NEVER EVER use E3's
Why do you say to never use E3s? I have them in my ZJ and so far they have lived up to all claims. Mileage is slightly better than the Champions it had when they were new.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #27157
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Why do you say to never use E3s? I have them in my ZJ and so far they have lived up to all claims. Mileage is slightly better than the Champions it had when they were new.
It's a gimmick plug. Any spark plug with more then one point is honestly. Electricity will take the path of least resistance. Well that means that it's going to start out using just one tip and after a while the rest will be coated in so much carbon they will never do anything.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #27158
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

It's a gimmick plug. Any spark plug with more then one point is honestly. Electricity will take the path of least resistance. Well that means that it's going to start out using just one tip and after a while the rest will be coated in so much carbon they will never do anything.
That is exactly why it isn't a gimmick. Normal J type plugs have a single sharp point for spark. The E3s have multiple points - this is not to cause multiple arcing points, this is to provide more points for the arc to occur should the original point wear down. Why? Because, as you said, electricity follows the point of least resistance. If the original arc point on a j type plug wears, then the electricity must work harder, causing less arc and loss of current. There is no reason to assume the rest of the points would become carbonized anyway. Carbon deposits are more conductive than the plug is anyway. Carbon fouling causes plugs to malfunction because the electricity just travels through the fouling instead of arcing. It doesn't "stop" the electricity, the current just doesn't arc.

Anyway, the company even specifically explains on their website that the design is not to create multiple arcing points.

My old ZJ used E3s with no issues. My current one has Autolite platinums, which I also have no complaints about.

Now, is it worth the extra money for E3s? For most folks who aren't racing their Jeeps, probably not, but they certainly won't hurt anything.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #27159
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
That is exactly why it isn't a gimmick. Normal J type plugs have a single sharp point for spark. The E3s have multiple points - this is not to cause multiple arcing points, this is to provide more points for the arc to occur should the original point wear down. Why? Because, as you said, electricity follows the point of least resistance. If the original arc point on a j type plug wears, then the electricity must work harder, causing less arc and loss of current. There is no reason to assume the rest of the points would become carbonized anyway. Carbon deposits are more conductive than the plug is anyway. Carbon fouling causes plugs to malfunction because the electricity just travels through the fouling instead of arcing. It doesn't "stop" the electricity, the current just doesn't arc.

Anyway, the company even specifically explains on their website that the design is not to create multiple arcing points.

My old ZJ used E3s with no issues. My current one has Autolite platinums, which I also have no complaints about.

Now, is it worth the extra money for E3s? For most folks who aren't racing their Jeeps, probably not, but they certainly won't hurt anything.
Trust me, once those points are covered in carbon they aren't doing anything... You can usually tell which part of the plug was working after a lot of miles. I'm a huge fan of the Iridium plugs in most modern engines, always delivers a smoother idle and they last an easy 60-100k miles.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #27160
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I have sooo much stuff to install on the Jeep.... Long Arms, SS brake lines (including replacing the line from the ABS pump to rear axle), new wheels, build my rear bumper, paint the Jeep... I feel like this is gonna take all winter.
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #27161
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I have sooo much stuff to install on the Jeep.... Long Arms, SS brake lines (including replacing the line from the ABS pump to rear axle), new wheels, build my rear bumper, paint the Jeep... I feel like this is gonna take all winter.
That's too much work just don't do it at all. You will be happier.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #27162
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That's too much work just don't do it at all. You will be happier.
I suppose as an alternative you'd be glad to just take the parts?
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #27163
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I suppose as an alternative you'd be glad to just take the parts?
No you should keep them so you can still say you have long arms.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #27164
noodles5124

Ordered a magnaflow cat and muffler...free 2 day shipping on the cat so as long as the muffler is here by Saturday I'll have a brand new exhaust, then it's back to the tire hunt
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #27165
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No you should keep them so you can still say you have long arms.
haha, hey "technically" I do. The positioning of them is a little off though.

I just don't have anyone local to help me install them right now. I could probably do it alone but it's just not fun spending an entire weekend alone working on your car... In a couple of weeks my buddy is taking a week of work though and can probably help me then.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.