Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#36,201 ·
It sold for... Well... A lot. And this hood is more for clearance than induction or looks, but the looks are an added bonus. Unless your a Mopar purist. Then bring out the pitchforks and torches.
I am going to make it my mission to find one and make fiberglass reproductions.

#36,204 ·
Got someone to wiggle the steering for me while I poked around and checked for play. Turns out the sector shaft is actually pretty tight. So now I'm screwing around with the box adjustments more. I got almost all the play out of it (excluding the tiny bit in the lower steering shaft, new one is ordered). But now it's just a little tight/draggy around the center point.

So I'm going to play around with the box preload and over-center adjustment again to see if I can loosen up the over-center drag a bit. I think I'm also going to try switching it to ATF instead of the PSF that's in there now (it needs a fluid change anyway). The different fluid will definitely make it behave a little differently, just not sure in what way yet.

#36,209 ·
So I may have found a donor for my zj which I didn't wanna do but if its a good deal I'll do it. I found a 1995 grand Cherokee with a bad motor he wants 550 gonna try to get it cheaper. Will the computer from my 93 work in a 95 so I can keep my shift light from the stock 5 speed? What issue may I run into? And if the cluster is a mechanical odometer not the electronic one

#36,210 ·
So I may have found a donor for my zj which I didn't wanna do but if its a good deal I'll do it. I found a 1995 grand Cherokee with a bad motor he wants 550 gonna try to get it cheaper. Will the computer from my 93 work in a 95 so I can keep my shift light from the stock 5 speed? What issue may I run into? And if the cluster is a mechanical odometer not the electronic one
Do you have a 5 speed in the 95? If not, then I dont believe so. There is a computer under the center consul for the autos that I think needs the pcm to work
For all other purposes of swapping back and forth, if it is for the same motor size, 93-94 was the same, 95 is compatible most of the time, 96+ is a different setup all together. More specific, you need a PCM guy in here to help ya

Sent from wherever I got lost going to.. uhh, is anyone there?

#36,211 ·
Nothing really, just replaced the tear wiper arm. Now I can see out the back. Also trying to decide if I should get rid of my wife's car and just rely on the ZJ. Needs some work if I do though. I have a work vehicle I can use and the Jeep wouldn't be driven all that much. Just thinking out loud...in words.

#36,212 ·
My jeeps a 93 and the jeep I'm looking at buying is a 95 now my jeep is a factory 5 speed zj I ran an automatic computer in my zj for a year til I found another manual computer is the automatic have a computer under the center console for the trans it won't be needed I'll be converting the 95 to stick the only issue I may run into is reverse lights I know everything should be a direct swap besides some wiring

#36,213 ·
Conventional wisdom is PCM needs to be matched to the year of the vehicle or bad things happen.

Given enough time I'm sure you could swap things over but there's a lot that could be needed. A 94 would be a closer bet.

#36,214 ·
My jeeps a 93 and the jeep I'm looking at buying is a 95 now my jeep is a factory 5 speed zj I ran an automatic computer in my zj for a year til I found another manual computer is the automatic have a computer under the center console for the trans it won't be needed I'll be converting the 95 to stick the only issue I may run into is reverse lights I know everything should be a direct swap besides some wiring
OK yeah it's just a couple minor wiring fabs and some body fabs, all the stuff I'm sure you understand is involved with it.
Just an idea for ya, you could mount a push button to the plate around the stick so that when it's in reverse, it hits it and sends power to the lights. I'm not sure what the 5 speed has for it so that's just a random thought

Conventional wisdom is PCM needs to be matched to the year of the vehicle or bad things happen.

Given enough time I'm sure you could swap things over but there's a lot that could be needed. A 94 would be a closer bet.
Ultimately, this is the best advice

Sent from wherever I got lost going to.. uhh, is anyone there?

#36,215 ·

This is a complete myth and to be honest is a load. I ran 3 different computers in my zj over the years with no issues once so ever I ran a 95 auto computer in it for a year then got lucky and found a 94 factory 5 speed zj at a junkyard and swapped that it my jeep is a 93. Even my old car a 97 neon I swapped a 99 auto computer in it and that car lasted from when I was 16 to 21 with no issues. As far as computers as long as the options are the same motor and trans year doesn't matter. I swapped random computers into almost every car I've owned and never ran into any kinda issues with it is the grand Cherokee automatic uses a TCM the computer doesn't really affect it as long as the computers for the same motor.

#36,216 ·
If you ran a 95 computer in it and you have a 94 computer now then that should be all you need to know.

#36,217 ·
My jeep runs and drives just the unibody at the rear control arm mounts broke pretty badly I have long arms but the body sagged so much the wheel well sepereated from the floor and the hatch don't open and its pretty rusty so I just feel its easier to find one in better shape although my boss said he can fix it. But idk if I wanna keep fixing it or buy a donor and reinforce it

#36,218 ·
Get a good shell and take your time.

#36,219 ·
My issue is I spent close to I think 800 bucks on parts for mine. And put another 800 away to pay my boss to do the frame and axles but it I get a donor I only need 600 for him to put the LSD and 4.10s on the donor jeep. The one I'm looking at has 250k which don't matter I'll new fully rebuilding both axles and putting my motor trans and t case in they have 230k on lol I'll be swapping clusters and what not as well. Now on another note I got a question thats a bit weird I did a heater core and evap core in a wj grand Cherokee and noticed the vin plate was on the dashboard not actually built into the body of the jeep for reasons I'm not willing to discuss are the zjs the same way as far as the vin being attached to the dash and not the body? The donor jeep has a title and is still inspected so that's not a big deal just wondering.