What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1810 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #27136
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

As per my statement before, heres a quote directly from Kolak, Seems like a good deal for the jeep, especially if still restoring it like i am!
"Hi,

Here's all the information about my Kolak Ignition Upgrade for your 1995 ZJ V8 - JeepForum members get 10% off the pricing below:

My recommendations for the 5.2/5.9 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
MSD high output replacement coil
Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)

EDIT: Kolak Asked me to remove pricing as it varies.

Please take some time to read the information about plug wires on Magnecor's web site at www.magnecor.com. Their wires are the finest I've found - incredibly flexible due to their pure silicone construction, and almost impossible to scorch or burn. Magnecor makes wires for many of the NASCAR teams, and their current transfer capability is amazing.

The MSD high output coil has fully 1/3 more output than the factory coil, and this really works well with the Magnecor wires. It's a direct replacement, and is easy to install. With the coil and wires, you can open up the plug gaps an additional .005 for a bigger spark. The colder plugs provide better detonation resistance.

Thanks
Kolak"

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #27137
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
As per my statement before, heres a quote directly from Kolak, Seems like a good deal for the jeep, especially if still restoring it like i am!
"Hi,

Here's all the information about my Kolak Ignition Upgrade for your 1995 ZJ V8 - JeepForum members get 10% off the pricing below:

My recommendations for the 5.2/5.9 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
MSD high output replacement coil
Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)

Price for the kit is $250.00

Please take some time to read the information about plug wires on Magnecor's web site at www.magnecor.com. Their wires are the finest I've found - incredibly flexible due to their pure silicone construction, and almost impossible to scorch or burn. Magnecor makes wires for many of the NASCAR teams, and their current transfer capability is amazing.

The MSD high output coil has fully 1/3 more output than the factory coil, and this really works well with the Magnecor wires. It's a direct replacement, and is easy to install. With the coil and wires, you can open up the plug gaps an additional .005 for a bigger spark. The colder plugs provide better detonation resistance.

Thanks
Kolak"
Based on my upbringing I do see one issue with that list. A Chrysler product should run Champion plugs. Only brand that should run Autolite plugs are Fords. But that is just me. Also keep in mind that I put in E3s during my last plug change. I do still need a new coil though.
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #27138
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Based on my upbringing I do see one issue with that list. A Chrysler product should run Champion plugs. Only brand that should run Autolite plugs are Fords. But that is just me. Also keep in mind that I put in E3s during my last plug change. I do still need a new coil though.
Plug manufacturer doesn't matter that much. I'm personally running autolites in the Jeep with no issue.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #27139
glock1926
1997 ZJ 

Didn't do anything to mine but, the girlfriend came home with this. 1996 zj with 4.0L, 249 t-case and 4.5'' Rough Country lift. It has 213,000 miles on it and is almost rust free she paid $650.00 for it. All it needed was a battery, trac-bar, tie rod end, front pads and rotors, and front drive shaft since the previous owner still had the cv style front shaft which was in two pieces.
wp_20131111_006.jpg   wp_20131111_005.jpg   wp_20131111_004.jpg  
glock1926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #27140
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1926 View Post
Didn't do anything to mine but, the girlfriend came home with this. 1996 zj with 4.0L, 249 t-case and 4.5'' Rough Country lift. It has 213,000 miles on it and is almost rust free she paid $650.00 for it. All it needed was a battery, trac-bar, tie rod end, front pads and rotors, and front drive shaft since the previous owner still had the cv style front shaft which was in two pieces.
Now, she needs to become friends with mine to convert her! Great buy on her even with that kind of mileage.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #27141
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1926
That's awesome! Was it for herself or for you?
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #27142
glock1926
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
That's awesome! Was it for herself or for you?
She bought it for herself so she doesn't have to drive her car in the snow. She figured since have plenty of parts stashed away for mine this would be a good deal.
glock1926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #27143
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
A lot of the Dodge truck guys run autolites. I have run them in the past but a on the cooler side to help a little when I had a leaky plenum. Doesn't matter between Champion and Autolite copper imo.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #27144
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

welded two patches into the passenger floor
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #27145
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I'm also running a bit cooler than stock Autolite platinum plugs with the Magnecor KV85, 8.5mm wires and MSD coil, purchased from our friend, Nick (Kolak)... kolak@aol.com >>> lol

glock1926, looks like your girlfriend got a good deal ! !

Sent from Lee's Samsung Galaxy Note II using JeepForum
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #27146
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

As somebody who sells spark plugs for a living:

Champion - Chrysler, Lawnmowers
NGK - All Asian imports, Saturn
ACDelco - GM
Motorcraft - Ford
Bosch - German imports
E3 - GM Performance, Lawnmowers
ACCEL - GM Performance (in other words, lawnmowers)
Autolite - Any cars preparing to be crushed, but you couldn't find a trailer to tow it to the scrapper and they wouldn't come to you

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #27147
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
As somebody who sells spark plugs for a living:

Champion - Chrysler, Lawnmowers
NGK - All Asian imports, Saturn
ACDelco - GM
Motorcraft - Ford
Bosch - German imports
E3 - GM Performance, Lawnmowers
ACCEL - GM Performance (in other words, lawnmowers)
Autolite - Any cars preparing to be crushed, but you couldn't find a trailer to tow it to the scrapper and they wouldn't come to you
What data are you using to support those findings? If it's "real", quantitative data, I, as well as many others, I'd guess, would like to know, so I can run the "best" plug possible...

Personally, I've used Bosch, Champion, Autolite, NGK and possibly a few others that I can't recall... I've only used Champion and the Autolites in my 5.9, and I can't seem to find a thing wrong with either, so far...

Sent from Lee's Samsung Galaxy Note II using JeepForum
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #27148
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

When comparing brands of parts, there is no quantitative data. There's just the experience of many people coming to similar conclusions.

Champion plugs are really good for Chrysler vehicles. Champion is also the number one manufacturer of ignition components for small engines.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #27149
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

friday i put it in my toy hauler and took it to glamis

saturday i had a problem whilst playing in the dunes

good thing i had a spare front shaft from an xj in the tool box in my truck!
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #27150
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Not going to lie, I found the top speed of my ZJ today. Stupid, I know. But, I figure it is good to know what she is capable of! Saw a video on youtube of a 5.9 going 120mph the other day that inspired me.
i6zombiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.