What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1805 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #27061
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Im sitting at around 6 inches and still running stock 373 gears. Im still deciding if i want to run 456 or 488

Sent from my SCH-S738C using JeepForum

big98tnzj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #27062
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Dropped my trans pan to see which kind of governor sensor I have. Somehow I have the 4 pin sensor despite being a 1994, glad I checked. At least that will be easier to find and a lot cheaper than getting the 3 pin one. But I was unable to re-use my gasket for the pan so I just used a bunch of the atf formulated rtv instead, letting that cure right now. So what should I expect in the morning when I refill the trans? Meaning will it be fine or will it leak like crazy?
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #27063
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Why wouldnt you just buy a new filter and gasket kit?
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #27064
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

As long as you didnt go too crazy with the rtv the it should be fine. I very rarely use gaskets anymore and i never have leaks. I always use the grey silicone/ gasket maker

Sent from my SCH-S738C using JeepForum
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #27065
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Let me run this by you guys, I have a leak from the oil pan gasket. I will repair the leak but I need a temporary fix. If I cleaned the area well and applied rtv the the outside perimeter of the oil pan, do you think that would fix the leak for now until I can get to replacing the gasket?
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #27066
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Did the filter last month so thats fine. I would have just bought a new gasket but I expected to be able to reuse this fairly new one. Couldn't get all the old rtv off of it. And where I live now I can't just walk to a parts store.
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #27067
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

I had a rattling exhaust, was like that when I bought the Jeep. The previous owner had used a metal zip tie thing to hold the heat shield together, so I'd assumed it was the heat shield rattling.

Tonight I took the heat shield off, and some of the rattling is gone, but it sounds like I have marbles in my cat.

Time to find that Advanced Auto (or wherever) $40 off discount coupon that I saw on here. I priced it out a few days ago and the cat would be $85 plus whatever it costs to install.
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #27068
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj View Post
Let me run this by you guys, I have a leak from the oil pan gasket. I will repair the leak but I need a temporary fix. If I cleaned the area well and applied rtv the the outside perimeter of the oil pan, do you think that would fix the leak for now until I can get to replacing the gasket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post
Did the filter last month so thats fine. I would have just bought a new gasket but I expected to be able to reuse this fairly new one. Couldn't get all the old rtv off of it. And where I live now I can't just walk to a parts store.
If you clean it off well enough and put a thin bead of silicone around then you should be safe until you get your new gasket.

You shouldve been able to just rtv your pan if you cleaned it off and put a thin bead on it and let it cure for a couple of hours depending on what kind of silicone you used

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #27069
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

buffed the paint , only f'd it up in 4 places :****:

changed the trans fluid and filter along with the oil and oil filter and adjusted the bands while i was down there

painted the wheels shiny satin black and under body too
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #27070
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
If you clean it off well enough and put a thin bead of silicone around then you should be safe until you get your new gasket.

You shouldve been able to just rtv your pan if you cleaned it off and put a thin bead on it and let it cure for a couple of hours depending on what kind of silicone you used

Why would you not use a gasket? When you buy the filter, it comes with the gasket. RTV works on a diff cover, i wouldnt risk it on a tranny pan. Use the gasket like your supposed to and dont take the cheap way out on a $2000 tranny rebuild.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #27071
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Tried to do my control arm bushings but it turned out to be a nightmare so I think I will put that one off for awhile. Maybe in the spring when its warmer and I have had time to mentally and emotionally prepare myself for the task.
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #27072
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Why would you not use a gasket? When you buy the filter, it comes with the gasket. RTV works on a diff cover, i wouldnt risk it on a tranny pan. Use the gasket like your supposed to and dont take the cheap way out on a $2000 tranny rebuild.
Honestly, RTV is probably less likely to leak then some of the cheap gaskets they come with....
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #27073
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

I dont like using rubber gaskets and ive had more trouble using gaskets then i ever had without them. Its got nothing to do with taking the cheap way out. Ive never used gaskets on any of my trans before and never had a single problem. The only time ive ever used gaskets is when i was the head tech at nissan after i was stationed in arizona

Unread 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #27074
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

The reason tranny pan gaskets leak is people generally over tighten them and crush them. I use the gaskets every time i service the tranny and have yet to have one leak. Snug each bolt go around a few times and your good to go. No need to go nuts tightening them. Same goes for valve covers and oil pans, people make the same mistake with them all.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #27075
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Sold it

But I got my asking price for it and its going to a good home. My brother in law bought for a daily driver.

Just gotta do the oil pan gasket, rear main seal and passenger door hinge pins and its all his.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.