Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#36,061 ·
We have like no snow yet and its rained hard 2 times this month, we may not have a white christmas this year.
We had a white Thanksgiving...

#36,063 ·
1997 ZJ Transmission & Transfer Case Busy this week!!

Dropped the Transmission last week because its started to slip with 175k. I decided to take the transmission to Gearstar Performance Transmissions in Akron, OH. Larry and Zack to care of me there.!! a great Shop... Then during the week decided it was good opportunity to change rear main seal. To bad I do not have a lift..:( Installing transmission today.:wave:

#36,064 ·
I finally found some good coil springs in the jy with a track bar drop bracket that I got to finish my four inch lift. I also picked up a good looking idler pulley to try and eliminate the squeaking noise.
So now I have pretty much everything I need to install my lift and I'm pretty excited about it! I'm going to do the rear main seal job while I'm under there and do a transmission band adjustment, new trans filter, install a drain valve in the trans pan, and install a new front input shaft seal on the tranny too. I have a whole list of stuff I'm doing while I'm installing my lift.
I need to weld in a reinforcement bracket for the track bar, does anyone have any ideas on how to fab something up real easy to fit around the factory bracket to add strength? I have a few ideas, but I'm open to hearing from anyone who has done it already. I know the drop brackets aren't the best, but I don't want to buy an adjustable track bar right now. The jeep I took it off of had some cracking around the rail, which I would expect if it's wheeled hard asks that jeep looking like it had been. I don't intend to bang on my jeep much, but you never know when you'll get stuck real bad...
So I have a bit more part collecting to do before I am ready for all that work, but I'm excited to get it all done.
Also am planning to do a custom side exit exhaust and modifying the y pipe at the same time to eliminate the crushed section and go up to 2.5 inch exhaust. Does anyone know for sure if I can use dodge Dakota or Durango manifolds on the passenger side of the 94 5.2? I've heard that I may need to modify it somehow for starter clearance or something. Again, just looking for words of wisdom from someone who has done it before or knows for sure. I have to smog and register the old girl soon. It's already way overdue, so I need to finally get it ready to pass inspection.
I'll take some before, during and after pics of my progress. Oh, I'm thinking that I'll keep my stock (commuter) size tires for now. I have a spare set of steel wheels that I'm going to get bigger tires for and just use them when I plan to go out and play.

#36,065 ·
It was above freezing, so I took the oportunity to clean the niner inside and out. Nothing special, just a quick once over and had wax to prepare for the incoming snow and salt **** storm.

Notice the badges and windjammer are missing. The clean look is growing on me.

#36,069 ·
Went to go wheeling today after work and she started kicking and bucking like a bull, so i went back home and smelked antifreeze real bad. I pulled the cap and it was low, so i filled it back up and it started missing real bad. I let it cool down and pulled #1 plug and it was wet. I did a compression test and everything came back normal. I pulled the oil cap and found my answer. Blown head gasket. Im thinking either scraping it or parting it out. Havent made up my mind yet.

Sent from my zjs front seat in the woods using JeepForum.

#36,071 ·
Went to go wheeling today after work and she started kicking and bucking like a bull, so i went back home and smelked antifreeze real bad. I pulled the cap and it was low, so i filled it back up and it started missing real bad. I let it cool down and pulled #1 plug and it was wet. I did a compression test and everything came back normal. I pulled the oil cap and found my answer. Blown head gasket. Im thinking either scraping it or parting it out. Havent made up my mind yet.

What motor do you have 4.0 or 5.2 if its a 4.0 just put a head gasket on it.can be done in a few hours with normal hand tools if its a 5.2 may as well part/junk it or put a motor it we won't even do head gaskets on those motors at out shop Cuz they crack heads.

#36,072 ·
What motor do you have 4.0 or 5.2 if its a 4.0 just put a head gasket on it.can be done in a few hours with normal hand tools if its a 5.2 may as well part/junk it or put a motor it we won't even do head gaskets on those motors at out shop Cuz they crack heads.
The 5.2s do crack heads sometimes, but that's just an excuse to upgrade, IMO. Plus, it's rare that they crack through to coolant, usually it's just a minor crack between the valve seats. Doing head gaskets or a head swap on a 5.2 / 5.9 isn't too bad, can be done in 12 - 14 hours with basic tools and without rushing.

#36,073 ·
Shes the big 318, thats why im considering crushing or parting.

#36,076 ·
The heads themselves arent hard to pull, its just finding the time to do it. Im working between 16-20 hrs a day right now and when i do get a day off, i spend it with the kids and wife. If i was to tear into it, it would be around spring time, and i dont want to see it sit that long.

#36,077 ·
Wouldn't bother to pull the heads on a 5.9 or 5.2 unless your gonna replace the heads I've seen them crack so many times its not worth the risk. I've seen them crack that you can't even tell they cracked I actually submerged one in boiling water and let it sit still it got hot and the crack opened up plain as day. Not saying they always crack but better safe then sorry. Or just pick up a 5.9 from a ram and replace the 5.2

#36,078 ·
Wouldn't bother to pull the heads on a 5.9 or 5.2 unless your gonna replace the heads I've seen them crack so many times its not worth the risk. I've seen them crack that you can't even tell they cracked I actually submerged one in boiling water and let it sit still it got hot and the crack opened up plain as day. Not saying they always crack but better say then sorry. Or just pick up a 5.9 from a ram and replace the 5.2
I agree, if they're coming off, take them to a machine shop and have them magnafluxed to check for cracks, or just replace them. Definitely better than doing the job twice.

#36,080 ·
Anyone know if you can swap a 4.0 into a 5.2 grand Cherokee without swapping pretty much everything electrical I found a good deal on a long armed grand but it has the 5.2 in it I don't care for the v8 and wanna put my 4.0 and 5speed in it.
Give me that 5.2 :cool: